• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

@mZiggy , this may be a conversation for PM, but do you do email tuning for people that already own the VFTuner software?
We regularly sell tunes/tune packs to individuals with the software for supported vehicles, provided via email.

I have a stock 19 Taco and something needs done to stop the transmission hunting in the Kansas wind. Is there anyone that does any of one of these mods in the North Central part of Kansas?? Or is there a site that explains all the items needed to purchase and instructions to get the job done by a DIY person? I've gone through quite a few of the pages on this thread and now know enough to be totally confused but thought I would start with this note first and if it is the wrong place to start please delete it. Thanks in advance.

I have a stock 19 Taco and something needs done to stop the transmission hunting in the Kansas wind. Is there anyone that does any of one of these mods in the North Central part of Kansas?? Or is there a site that explains all the items needed to purchase and instructions to get the job done by a DIY person? I've gone through quite a few of the pages on this thread and now know enough to be totally confused but thought I would start with this note first and if it is the wrong place to start please delete it. Thanks in advance.
DIY is changing due to VFTuner changes.

VF is no longer going to be selling regular/Lite flash kits to customers, it's just VF Pro users that can sell them.

So to tune yourself without already having a license for VFTuner, you'll need to purchase a VFTuner kit from a Pro user, and they'll understandably want to package their tune with it.

YotaWerx Tuning will be offering the kits in the near future.

We do help to make the process easier with an additional tune guide supplement document for all of our tune file customers that covers things like basic flash procedure, steps to take to avoid bricking your ecu, steps for ECU recovery, links to resources for updating your ecu version, etc.

DIY is changing due to VFTuner changes.

VF is no longer going to be selling regular/Lite flash kits to customers, it's just VF Pro users that can sell them.

So to tune yourself without already having a license for VFTuner, you'll need to purchase a VFTuner kit from a Pro user, and they'll understandably want to package their tune with it.

YotaWerx Tuning will be offering the kits in the near future.

We do help to make the process easier with an additional tune guide supplement document for all of our tune file customers that covers things like basic flash procedure, steps to take to avoid bricking your ecu, steps for ECU recovery, links to resources for updating your ecu version, etc.
What about those of us who already have the software cable and dongle but aren’t pro users? Sorry I haven’t been keeping up to date

What about those of us who already have the software cable and dongle but aren’t pro users? Sorry I haven’t been keeping up to date
Nothing will change for current licensed users, other than the tactrix device is becoming the license. You can have one serial number registered at a time when the update drops at the end of the week. Since the tactrix device becomes the license, the install count for computers is going away.

Today, one of our testers for YotaWerx's supercharged 3GTacoma tune, for vehicles running the Magnuson supercharger with the 90mm pulley, strapped down on the dyno down in Hawaii!

We made further revisions following Thursday's dyno runs and chose a file to run today.

VEHICLE and CLIMATE DETAILS:

- tire size is 295/70/17
- ambient temperature: 85°F (approximately 25° warmer than Thursday's dyno runs)

Dynograph below; the red run is the Magnuson supercharger tune for the 90mm pulley. The blue and green runs are the YotaWerx tune.
In total, the dynograph demonstrates a 17whp/23wtq gain for the YotaWerx 3GT SC tune, as well as significant improvement throughout the entire powerband.

Since October2021, we have been working hard with many testers across several climates and elevations to refine this tune and bring the community something that excels in drivability while providing power, usable power, that enhances all aspects of the driving experience. Having the highest power number means nothing if the drivability suffers.

We are grateful to VF Tuner for constantly working to provide and improve upon the tools available within their software to make projects like this possible.

HUGE shout out of appreciation to all of our testers, some of which will continue working with us as we turn our attention more fully to the 87mm pulley tune. Our testers spent months working around their personal schedules, using their own trucks, spending their own money on fuel, even covering dyno costs despite not needing to do so themselves, several of them doing datalogs on 2-3 tunes EVERY SINGLE DAY. Over the course of this project, we probably received the same number or more additional offers by others to assist with testing and providing feedback, and we'd like to say that the support received from the community for this has been outstanding. Thank you all!

SONGKIM_TUNE704+IGN12+AFR03_30APR2022.png

SONGKIM_TUNE704+IGN12+AFR03_30APR2022_TUNEINFO.png

Last edited:
UPDATE on YotaWerx Tuning MagSC tune:

Still trying to aim for a release date of May 21st for the 90mm pulley supercharger tune. Been spending long hours to get through building the tunes for the ecu versions, and I am also exploring the idea of two throttle response options.

Some bugs with the datalogger with the recently updated VF1.6 software mean that the 87mm tune may be a slightly delayed, but shouldn't be much further behind still. The tune had been progressing alongside the 90mm tune and pretty much just needs verification of AFR and ignition, followed by dyno day.

VFTuner is aware of the datalogger bug and is working on a fix.

@mZiggy I am interested in a SC kit for my truck my I do use it for work, would it be possible to get a tune made that allows it to run with Lower octane fuel, and when I want a bigger bump I just pump premium?

@mZiggy I am interested in a SC kit for my truck my I do use it for work, would it be possible to get a tune made that allows it to run with Lower octane fuel, and when I want a bigger bump I just pump premium?
No. You must run premium fuel.

YotaWerx Tuning and Nexus have been collaborating together for several months now on a significant update to our N/A 3.5L Tacoma tunes, a complete overhaul really. This collaboration brings together a wealth of knowledge ranging from Nexus' expertise with transmission control and YW's track record with creating high torque output tunes, including some concepts that translated very well over to the N/A tunes from the Forced Induction side of the house.

Today, the co-named "Blackhawk" tune is unveiled. Several testers have been trying out this tune, testing it across many climates and elevations, providing daily feedback and datalogs to assist in its development.

This morning, the Blackhawk premium fuel tune was run on the dyno against the stock tune; see below for the dynograph.

Coordination and scheduling to dyno the regular fuel tune is in the works as well, and we're looking forward to the results as even on regular fuel, there is excellent and strong power delivery down low in the powerband which is carried smoothly up through the tach.

YotaWerx is aiming for a release on 11 June, but it may drop sooner. If it does, it'll be made available on 03 or 04 June. I will be sure to keep everyone updated. Remember, customers already tuned on YotaWerx tunes for their 3GTacoma can get this tune update for free.

Prem AD 3.0.8 vs Stock + Description Text 01.png

For the Magnuson supercharger/YotaWerx Stryker customer folks who have been waiting for the 87mm pulley tune, Friday the 12th is the target date to wrap up dev/testing for that tune option.

Update for the FI/MagSC folks; the Stryker 87mm pulley tune testing is just about wrapped up and will release soon. There have been no changes to the pricing structure announced previously for this option/upgrade. When swapping back and forth between 90 and 87mm pulleys, a noticeable difference in the low end and mid range in particular has been noted
:thumbsup:

Aftermarket fuel rails (credit to @JamesT [TacomaWorld handle]) are getting installed right now and tuning on those will begin immediately as well.

These rails are going to provide a superior tuned fueling condition, and we already have proof of concept for this purpose. The nature of the stock fueling system *could* cause some excessive wear over time as well as not provide an optimal level of performance that is otherwise generally expected from a supercharger.

Remaining on the stock system is not detrimental or anything, and nobody should feel as if this is a modification that is required to run their supercharger safely with their YotaWerx tune. However, this is a set of parts that can enable a reduction of unnecessary wear, possibly yield improved fuel economy (which is of course still subject to several variables), and still provide improved performance when paired with a safe and effective tune.

We're looking forward to working with these rails!

Stay tuned, and thank you all for the support we continue to receive from the community.

:hattip:

So glad I have the MT
You know, I ordered my truck and wanted the MT but did the AT for two reasons, remote start and resale value. This being my second 3rd gen Taco, they are such good trucks with such horrible shift logic. I don't know if it's because they don't make any power down low or what, but mine rarely uses 5th and 6th on the highway. I know the truck is lifted and heavy with larger tires, but it has 5.29 gears.

It's just wild that a Jeep Gladiator with similar power can do so much better with even big tires and stock gearing.

You know, I ordered my truck and wanted the MT but did the AT for two reasons, remote start and resale value. This being my second 3rd gen Taco, they are such good trucks with such horrible shift logic. I don't know if it's because they don't make any power down low or what, but mine rarely uses 5th and 6th on the highway. I know the truck is lifted and heavy with larger tires, but it has 5.29 gears.

It's just wild that a Jeep Gladiator with similar power can do so much better with even big tires and stock gearing.
Stock with 4:30 gears it does fine,
It's a truck not a sports car so the shifting design makes perfect sense.

I have a '97 Jeep and its a automatic with a 4,0, its not a sportscar either.
Stock as well.

I like the look of a lifted truck but not the headaches that come with it.
To each his/her own.
50% of the guys I know that have lifted theirs have bearing and other pre-wear problems.
It nature of the beast,... put big beef on small bones and you should expect something to give sooner or later.

Drive my taco in a few weeks at cabin fever with the KDMAX PRO tune, I can tow my trailer on the highway in 5th/6th gear without any issues (5.29's as well). Truck drives even better without the trailer, no gear hunting in the overdrive gears on the highway

I've been driving for over 40 years and my Tacoma is the first automatic I have ever had in my life. It drives great with the KDmax. I am so happy that I have a long bed with an automatic rather than a manual with a short bed.

I've been driving for over 40 years and my Tacoma is the first automatic I have ever had in my life. It drives great with the KDmax. I am so happy that I have a long bed with an automatic rather than a manual with a short bed.
Never thought a 6' bed would be considered a long bed,.... till they made mid-size trucks that is.
They made a chevy with a 8' 6" (rare) "long bed" now thats a looong bed and a standard 8' (below)
R.7b4de7fb24f98b46af10fb394981057a

ck-trucks(2).ashx

Last edited:
Never thought a 6' bed would be considered a long bed,.... till they made mid-size trucks that is.
They made a chevy with a 8' 6" (rare) "long bed" now thats a looong bed and a standard 8' (below)

ck-trucks(2).ashx
A ways back I was browsing a parts site that was more accurate than most. It listed the two Tacoma bed lengths as "short" and "extra short."

I never thought a Tacoma would be compared to a full sized truck. I have no use for one of those.

QUOTE="Tomahawk Dog, post: 92066, member: 10101"]

ck-trucks(2).ashx

[/QUOTE]

There just wasn’t a need for it, or something?
I personally think that despite the issues with the forum itself (needing some improvements) that it was a good resource, but Mat took it down while citing that he can't have his forum including threads that show people how to obtain pirated copies of the Toyota Techstream software. Idk if Toyota contacted him about it or not but I do know that they've been releasing updated versions that require a security key from a dealer, so they definitely are trying to stop the average user from using it.

Back