• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

Newer one out claiming to be the best called M+W Nexus.

I represent YotaWerx Tuning.

We're also in the process of updating our 3GT tune options, which will be made available as a free update to existing customers.

Furthermore, our FI tune for 3GT with the Magnuson supercharger is very close to release. No one else has been testing and refining a tune for the Maggy as long as we have (since late September), across multiple climates and elevations, with as many test trucks as we have. This has been a literally daily project for the last 4+ months and the 90mm tune is nearly released. 87mm pulley custom tune will become the priority afterwards (already have a couple testers on it). We've made sure to be completely thorough in testing and finding all the kinks and oddities this ECU throws at us in a wide variety of situations, climates, etc.

We keep the Maggy mega thread on TacomaWorld updated with progress, and we'll be sure to continue to announce updates and release on social media.

Tomorrow is another dyno day for our cold weather tester, and we have to schedule our warm weather dyno session.

To anything less than the absolutely insane amount of testing on tune revisions that we've done would be quite frankly, negligent.

For those people here who also have a 5th gen 4runner, we have 4R tunes as well, along with dynographs, and we finished our Tundra tune for the 5.7 awhile back and are just in the process of building out our tune packs.

Last edited:
Do you have one here too or have you just been using this thread?
I have a YW thread on the forum here but it receives basically zero engagement, I don't even get messages from people really, so I mostly don't use it. I really only update the 1st post to keep continuity with the other forum threads I've got

I have a YW thread on the forum here but it receives basically zero engagement, I don't even get messages from people really, so I mostly don't use it. I really only update the 1st post to keep continuity with the other forum threads I've got
Noted. I'm working on some stuff that will hopefully get the important tech info like this more visible on a special page.

I represent YotaWerx Tuning.

We're also in the process of updating our 3GT tune options, which will be made available as a free update to existing customers.

Furthermore, our FI tune for 3GT with the Magnuson supercharger is very close to release. No one else has been testing and refining a tune for the Maggy as long as we have (since late September), across multiple climates and elevations, with as many test trucks as we have. This has been a literally daily project for the last 4+ months and the 90mm tune is nearly released. 87mm pulley custom tune will become the priority afterwards (already have a couple testers on it). We've made sure to be completely thorough in testing and finding all the kinks and oddities this ECU throws at us in a wide variety of situations, climates, etc.

We keep the Maggy mega thread on TacomaWorld updated with progress, and we'll be sure to continue to announce updates and release on social media.

Tomorrow is another dyno day for our cold weather tester, and we have to schedule our warm weather dyno session.

To anything less than the absolutely insane amount of testing on tune revisions that we've done would be quite frankly, negligent.

For those people here who also have a 5th gen 4runner, we have 4R tunes as well, along with dynographs, and we finished our Tundra tune for the 5.7 awhile back and are just in the process of building out our tune packs.
I see so many other rando tunes on Tacomaworld and no one posts their credentials as tuners or their process to get the tune. It's always just, "this tune makes the truck drive as it should!" Then lots of people that paid for it talking in the thread about tip-in and chirping tires and crap :ROFLMAO: Kudos to you for doing testing, on a dyno, in different climates. That puts you way above everyone else I've seen.

I've been running the 2.0 "Final" from VFTuner for a while now, and it's been fine. But I'm sure there are better options out there (y)

I see so many other rando tunes on Tacomaworld and no one posts their credentials as tuners or their process to get the tune. It's always just, "this tune makes the truck drive as it should!" Then lots of people that paid for it talking in the thread about tip-in and chirping tires and crap :ROFLMAO: Kudos to you for doing testing, on a dyno, in different climates. That puts you way above everyone else I've seen.

I've been running the 2.0 "Final" from VFTuner for a while now, and it's been fine. But I'm sure there are better options out there (y)
Tuning really does need clearer and easier to find information online. It’s a very confusing process, IMO. Especially since it’s one of the first things a lot of people will want to learn about. Reading through forum threads with hundreds of pages of conflicting information doesn’t make it any easier. That’s why I want to have a special tuning information page (not thread) here on T3G. It’s another thing on my list of things I’ll get to eventually, lol.

I would be interested in that page. As if you don't already have a zillion things to do @Tyler!
I am waiting on my new pizza cutters and will see if I tune or regear, or both.

Thank you!

And OVT2.0 is nothing to scoff at, it's a great tune on its own.

Hey guys,

Last time I updated my tune with the new VF tuner was almost 2 years ago. Installing 35's on my Taco next week so was trying to remember how to do it and I completely forgot all the steps and the instructions on the VF site are very confusing to me. My goal is to update to any current tunes if mine is not, and change the file so its ready for 35's. Can anyone help me out? I am terrible with computers so I need things explained in layman's terms.

Hey guys,

Last time I updated my tune with the new VF tuner was almost 2 years ago. Installing 35's on my Taco next week so was trying to remember how to do it and I completely forgot all the steps and the instructions on the VF site are very confusing to me. My goal is to update to any current tunes if mine is not, and change the file so its ready for 35's. Can anyone help me out? I am terrible with computers so I need things explained in layman's terms.
Its been about the same time frame for I as well, best help I can provide is find someone in your area that has the knowledge and buy them a round!

Last edited:
I live 100 miles south of the Canadian border in Idaho , in a town of 8,000 people so I doubt I will find anyone close to me for that. Also cant afford to pay anyone lol

This helped me

I did end up buying a canned tune from cvc. He customized it to my specifications. It was easier than digging deep and finding the parameters to change. Cost was 125-150 for the tune

If you need basic step by step procedure for flashing with VFTuner, YotaWerx Tuning has tune guide supplement documents for the vehicles we support for tuning. Document covers things like basic flash procedures, steps to take to avoid bricking your ecu, ECU recovery steps, sources to get Techstream to update ECU version, etc.

The instruction guides from VF are more VF specific and for things like installing the software itself. They cover flash procedure too I believe, but they don't get updated often, whereas these are more additional and up to date info, covering a broader range of helpful topics as well.

Typically for tune pack customers but if you reach out to YW, I'll be happy to give you a copy.

Last edited:
Can someone message me who can tune my truck here in Wyoming! I need to have my alternator output changed so I can fully charged an agm. Also want to have full control of my sport shift.

Has anyone done a real comparison review on all these different tunes? Specifically for manual trucks? I'm not a fan of the powerband on my truck and I've heard some tunes will make it more gradual but the way these things are marketed is, as the kids say, pretty sus.

Has anyone done a real comparison review on all these different tunes? Specifically for manual trucks? I'm not a fan of the powerband on my truck and I've heard some tunes will make it more gradual but the way these things are marketed is, as the kids say, pretty sus.
I don't think there's many people who have tried several tunes, except for perhaps @su.b.rat on TacomaWorld.

Prior to you reading the rest of my reply, I want to say that I am not at all trying to scare you off tunes. I am just trying to be as informative as possible regarding the trends of the tuning community and encourage you to do your homework and ask questions, as you're doing.

I can say that I am the co-owner of YotaWerx and that my business partner and I were the original owners of Coyoza, prior to its sale to CVC Tuning, and that while Coyoza had AT tunes to offer it was first and foremost a MT tune. Developed and tested by a MT owner (myself) on my truck, and that's part of why it became so popular: because the other tunes were AT tunes ported over to MT and there was a lack of understanding by these AT owners/tuners that the MT has it's own set of issues and needs and you really need to daily drive one to narrow those down and then improve upon them via tuning.

Coyoza became the go-to tune, and was eventually purchased by CVC. We took the opportunity to rebrand and also sort of reset how we do business.

To return to your question, making the powerband more "gradual" doesn't really make sense, perhaps you could expand upon that?

Now, a linear throttle application is certainly applicable, and is part of what makes our tunes provide the driver with a predictable and consistent throttle.

As you say, the way tunes are marketed can be odd... It's usually via word of mouth and I actually am of the opinion that too few people do their research. Too many people get tuned, drive down the block, and then run to Facebook or the forums to shout about how great the tune is and how it's the best thing since sliced bread. Well, yeah, you came from stock, anything will immediately feel amazing.

Then someone jumps online to ask questions and everyone who's ever been tuned immediately jumps down their throat with borderline demanding attitude about how they just have to get x-tune. And so this new person gets that tune, and doesn't even know that other options are available with other benefits due to the previous cult-like mentality. This is further compounded by people who do not know how to read a dynograph for example. They just look for the highest number, even though the graph may show that the power is too high in the powerband to be useful. This means that down low, your tune relies heavily on throttle response edits.

Long story short, the most well known or recommended tune is not always the best.

Your search for someone who has tried several tunes (most people have done no more than 2 for example) is going to have to include more than just this forum.

Research what the tunes offer, what they ACTUALLY offer, and what your needs are, and go from there.

YotaWerx is in the process of updating our Tacoma tunes, a complete overhaul that digs very deep and is inspired by a lot of our Magnuson supercharger tune that were close to finishing, and NA dynographs will be posted upon release. For the time being, our existing tunes are similar to OVTune, with a significant emphasis on drivability.

Last edited:
To return to your question, making the powerband more "gradual" doesn't really make sense, perhaps you could expand upon that?

Yeah, I knew that was the wrong word as I typed it. Consistent acceleration is what I'm looking for and I'd like to get rid of throttle lag. I've driven manuals all my life and the one on the Taco is by far the strangest. The lag itself is bad but then it's low RPM, low RPM, low RPM then WHAM! you
are at 7000RPM and hanging on for dear life. Linear throttle application is probably the right term.
Research what the tunes offer, what they ACTUALLY offer, and what your needs are, and go from there.

See, that's part of the problem. What research can be trusted? It's like you say, everyone is just getting any tune and saying it's the best ever. It's not like there is an independent organization ranking them that be trusted and most of the tunes I've read about are all "show up in this parking lot and someone will be there to do magic to your truck's brains." I don't see a way to really research what is a seemingly underground process.

YotaWerx is in the process of updating our Tacoma tunes, a complete overhaul that digs very deep and is inspired by a lot of our Magnuson supercharger tune that were close to finishing, and NA dynographs will be posted upon release. For the time being, our existing tunes are similar to OVTune, with a significant emphasis on drivability.
See, I'd never even heard of Yotawerx. I have heard of OVtune, KDmax and CVC. I havn't even heard of CVC being offered anywhere in the PacNW, only the other two. I feel like the industry needs to find a way to legitimize itself somehow.

Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns though. I appreciate it. I'm not planning on having anything tuned in the near term. I've just been hearing about it so much lately and it's all so confusing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I knew that was the wrong word as I typed it. Consistent acceleration is what I'm looking for and I'd like to get rid of throttle lag. I've driven manuals all my life and the one on the Taco is by far the strangest. The lag itself is bad but then it's low RPM, low RPM, low RPM then WHAM! you
are at 7000RPM and hanging on for dear life. Linear throttle application is probably the right term.

See, that's part of the problem. What research can be trusted? It's like you say, everyone is just getting any tune and saying it's the best ever. It's not like there is an independent organization ranking them that be trusted and most of the tunes I've read about are all "show up in this parking lot and someone will be there to do magic to your truck's brains." I don't see a way to really research what is a seemingly underground process.

See, I'd never even heard of Yotawerx. I have heard of OVtune, KDmax and CVC. I havn't even heard of CVC being offered anywhere in the PacNW, only the other two. I feel like the industry needs to find a way to legitimize itself somehow.

Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns though. I appreciate it. I'm not planning on having anything tuned in the near term. I've just been hearing about it so much lately and it's all so confusing.
It's probably not in my best interests to say what I'm about to say, but I agree with all of this. I actually do believe that the tuning community needs some sort of categorization and review available, in order to better inform prospective customers and other interested parties. Furthermore, this cannot be someone affiliated with any of the major tuner networks, as that is how bias creeps in. This means no one who also offers tunes for sale/reflash as part of any of the tune networks. The individual or group of individuals could be paying customers, or receive the tunes for free for review, but I do agree that something is necessary.

Something like this would be in line with the YotaWerx Tuning team's goal for a sort of revamp on how the tuning community is addressed and how business is conducted. This is why when we sold Coyoza to CVC Tuning, we took that opportunity to evaluate how we wanted to change how we do business while we rebranded. We are pretty picky about who joins our tuning network for a variety of reasons, which include exclusivity to YW when offering tunes, because otherwise tuners use personal bias when recommending tunes, and that usually comes down to which offering will net them the most cash in their pocket (because pricing and royalty fees are similar, yet still different). This means that the people who agree to join our network fully believe in the product, and have chosen to stand by it rather than simply offer it opportunistically.

Furthermore, we expect our network to be comprised of competent and knowledgeable individuals. For every customer than doesn't care about the process and just wants to get tuned and forget about it, there's another two with several questions just like yourself, and just as we support our network, our network is expected to support the customer base to the best of their ability. Personal knowledge and knowing where to get the right answer is the first step to answer questions confidently and competently.

The next aspect was tune pricing. We require a standardization of pricing throughout a network, because most of the competition allows their network to charge however much they want and this leaves customers either potentially jealous, or left out, or even screwed over. If one guy in Florida charges $500 while someone in Montana charges $300 and someone in Arizona charges $350, all for the same tune, you inevitably get some envy over why certain people have to pay more for the same product, and the only justification given is that it's up to your local tuner. This isn't right in our opinion. Nonetheless, there's a business to run and a network of tuners to support, and so we came up with pricing that we standardized for ourselves to balance customer cost against tuner operating costs as best as possible.

The parking lot concern is probably unavoidable unfortunately, since there are very very few VFTuner Pro users who also have access to a shop. YotaWerx is no exception. So we do meet customers at their homes, or in well populated parking lots, but this is also why we have moved to, when possible, meeting customers at the local Toyota dealership where we have a great repoire with the staff there. These staff members frequently recommend us to their customers and the setting helps customers feel more comfortable than when we meet outside of a Best Buy for example.

The 3GT MT is definitely a strange beast and doesn't drive like any other that I've had experience with, and this sentiment is echoed by a lot of others. I know what you mean, and it's why before getting OVTuned way back in 2017 I had to basically stay in a gear that kept me at 3k+ at all times, it was very frustrating. That and an inconsistent throttle input was just unacceptable to drive on long term.

Hopefully you can find the answers to your other concerns in time, I'm happy to answer any that you may have as best as I can.

Where is this 'guy' that charges $300 in Montana? JK.

Where is this 'guy' that charges $300 in Montana? JK.
Lol just making shit up as an example, since people offer their services at varying prices nonetheless

I have a 2017 DCSB TRDOR with 33's and 4.88 Gears and NO TUNE. I drove a friends tacoma with 33's and one of the tunes. I found it to be comparable to the gears with no tune. The throttle response was great, but not worth the $400 to me. On the freeway it performed about the same.

I think the Tune is a great option for those not wanting to spend the money on gears. But if you have the gears, the gains will be marginal at best.

-M

I have a 2017 DCSB TRDOR with 33's and 4.88 Gears and NO TUNE. I drove a friends tacoma with 33's and one of the tunes. I found it to be comparable to the gears with no tune. The throttle response was great, but not worth the $400 to me. On the freeway it performed about the same.

I think the Tune is a great option for those not wanting to spend the money on gears. But if you have the gears, the gains will be marginal at best.

-M
Respectfully, most people who regear also have larger tires and therefore benefit from the shift logic tuning, among many other adjustments in the tune.

It's pretty rare to come across someone with a regear on stock sized tires. And yet there can still be perceived benefit.

One of our YotaWerx supercharger tune testers has stock tires with 4.88's and finds a lot of benefit in the transmission tuning, especially because he lives above 6500ft and regularly drives up to 8k+ elevation

Respectfully, most people who regear also have larger tires and therefore benefit from the shift logic tuning, among many other adjustments in the tune.

It's pretty rare to come across someone with a regear on stock sized tires. And yet there can still be perceived benefit.

One of our YotaWerx supercharger tune testers has stock tires with 4.88's and finds a lot of benefit in the transmission tuning, especially because he lives above 6500ft and regularly drives up to 8k+ elevation
I have the 33s. I found that installing a speedometer calibrator improved the shifting and also the mileage as it started calculating it correctly.

With 4.88 gearing the gear ratio is lower than stock with 33s.

I'm just trying to put out an opinion that the Tune is not a mandatory mod and that the gains aren't necessarily worth it for every taco bro. I also drove a tacoma with 5.29s, 33s and the OV tune and wasn't blown away by that one either.

-M

I'm just trying to put out an opinion that the Tune is not a mandatory mod and that the gains aren't necessarily worth it for every taco bro. I also drove a tacoma with 5.29s, 33s and the OV tune and wasn't blown away by that one either.

-M
I am in no way trying to invalidate your opinion or say you're wrong.

A tune is not for everyone, and I say that while fully acknowledging that it's in my best interests to advocate for everyone to get a tune.

I am in no way trying to invalidate your opinion or say you're wrong.

A tune is not for everyone, and I say that while fully acknowledging that it's in my best interests to advocate for everyone to get a tune.
Agreed. But the general vibe out there is that the Tacoma is undriveable without the tune. The tacoma is undriveable if you go to big tires without gears while the speedometer is 10% off.

Does the tune solve the speedo problem?

-M

Does the tune solve the speedo problem?

-M
It's doesn't. Setting the tire size adjusts shift points based on the size input.

The speedometer has a separate computer inaccessible via the ecu tune through OBD

It's doesn't. Setting the tire size adjusts shift points based on the size input.

The speedometer has a separate computer inaccessible via the ecu tune through OBD
Interesting.

I did my mods in the following order:

Tires: Made shifting and driving worse, but not intolerable, except for off road in steep terrain.
Gears: No real change in shifting, driving was better all around. Much better off road
Speedometer Cal: Improved shifting and driving. No effect off road.

-M

Back