• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

UCA rubbing tire

Drake7

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 SR5 DCLB Auto
Midnight Black
So I ran into a problem yesterday with my UCA rubbing my new tires. I just bought the Cooper AT3 285/70/16. I’m sitting on a 2 inch leveling kit as well with stock rims. I don’t really want to go with a spacer kit because well it seems to be like people just don’t like them. Should I go with new UCA or am I going to need wheels with back spacing? Also when I’m sitting there parked I can fit my fingers between tire and uca. Just seems to hit when I crank my steering wheel.

For the money I think I'd try the spacers first, unless you already have your eye on a set of new rims and just need a reason. Worst case is you're out a $100. What leveling kit did you install?

So I ran into a problem yesterday with my UCA rubbing my new tires. I just bought the Cooper AT3 285/70/16. I’m sitting on a 2 inch leveling kit as well with stock rims. I don’t really want to go with a spacer kit because well it seems to be like people just don’t like them. Should I go with new UCA or am I going to need wheels with back spacing? Also when I’m sitting there parked I can fit my fingers between tire and uca. Just seems to hit when I crank my steering wheel.
You 100%shure you rubbing on the uca?that's not s very big tire

Last edited:
I'm running 285/70r17's and I had rubbing while turning sharp when I installed my BP51 lift in front and back. It was just some plastic inside the front of the wheel well and I was able to move that back an inch and no longer had rubbing during sharp turns or parking.

Sorry for the late reply. But yes when I turn hard right my tire hits the uca a tad bit. And I believe i got the leveling kit from Moto fab. So far so good on the uca I’ve been checking though no rubbing while driving. I think I’m going to get some methods with some offset so I can actually do some off-roading.

I'm running 285/70r17's and I had rubbing while turning sharp when I installed my BP51 lift in front and back. It was just some plastic inside the front of the wheel well and I was able to move that back an inch and no longer had rubbing during sharp turns or parking.

How were you able to move the plastic back an inch? I am going thru the same issue right now with my setup. Icon stage 8 on your same size tires. I am barely getting rubbing when i turn to the left on the driver's side. Also when I go over anything while turning (going into a steep drive way while turning).

How were you able to move the plastic back an inch? I am going thru the same issue right now with my setup. Icon stage 8 on your same size tires. I am barely getting rubbing when i turn to the left on the driver's side. Also when I go over anything while turning (going into a steep drive way while turning).

Sounds like the exact issues I was dealing with. So how I did it was I unscrewed the few screws on the bumper where the wheel well ends and under the bumper starts. I pushed all the plastic in the front of the well forward towards the bumper and then just used a different longer screw to attached it back. I did trim a small amount out plastic that was left over, but that was easy and I did it with a box cutter. Did this on both sides and haven't had any rubbing since. I put some pics below as well. The last pic just shows how I am not using the existing screw on the bottom of the bumper.

wheel 1.JPG

wheel 2.JPG

wheel 3.JPG

Sounds like the exact issues I was dealing with. So how I did it was I unscrewed the few screws on the bumper where the wheel well ends and under the bumper starts. I pushed all the plastic in the front of the well forward towards the bumper and then just used a different longer screw to attached it back. I did trim a small amount out plastic that was left over, but that was easy and I did it with a box cutter. Did this on both sides and haven't had any rubbing since. I put some pics below as well. The last pic just shows how I am not using the existing screw on the bottom of the bumper.

Sounds good. Doesn't rub when you do any crawling or mudding? Ill pm you if I have any further questions about this.

Back