• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Uca help

TrDiRtY

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Uni ball vs ball joint? Which brand would you recommend? I have been looking at total chaos, camburg, icon and SPC. From my understanding ball joint uca come with less maintenance but uni ball maintenance is pretty easy. Other advantages vs disadvantages? I do get alot of snow where I'm at in the winter and sumer alot of dusty trails. I will be getting kings 2.5 or fox all the way around with an aal 3" lift with probably 33's (maybe 35's if I decide to regear).

I'm using JBAs and they're ball joints but provide a lot of articulation.

Uniballs are popular but there is maintenance as you stated or you'll have noise.

I'm using JBAs and they're ball joints but provide a lot of articulation.

Uniballs are popular but there is maintenance as you stated or you'll have noise.

What suspension setup do you have. Do you think the kings will look weird with the red jba's.

Uni ball vs ball joint? Which brand would you recommend? I have been looking at total chaos, camburg, icon and SPC. From my understanding ball joint uca come with less maintenance but uni ball maintenance is pretty easy. Other advantages vs disadvantages? I do get alot of snow where I'm at in the winter and sumer alot of dusty trails. I will be getting kings 2.5 or fox all the way around with an aal 3" lift with probably 33's (maybe 35's if I decide to regear).
Uniball vs delta joint (sealed , better articulation then standard ball joint)
Uniball is cheap and deos the job ,maintenance is minimal blow it out, spray some lube , in winter with snow and salt a quick rinse blow and lube. As to noise complaints I dont hear any myself on my uniball
Delta joint is sealed thus giving it a better advantage for protection from the elements , delta joins due require greasing every so often via zerk fitting , they provide great articulation over a standard ball joint , just like a uniball , but as the its sealed it adds to the price ,

Both are great depends how much you want to spend maintenance should be done on both
And if you buy a uniball you can upgrade to a delta joint later on

Uniball vs delta joint (sealed , better articulation then standard ball joint)
Uniball is cheap and deos the job ,maintenance is minimal blow it out, spray some lube , in winter with snow and salt a quick rinse blow and lube. As to noise complaints I dont hear any myself on my uniball
Delta joint is sealed thus giving it a better advantage for protection from the elements , delta joins due require greasing every so often via zerk fitting , they provide great articulation over a standard ball joint , just like a uniball , but as the its sealed it adds to the price ,

Both are great depends how much you want to spend maintenance should be done on both
And if you buy a uniball you can upgrade to a delta joint later on

Thanks for the info. This is my post in the beginner no dumb question thread lol ?

Ok with aftermarket uca's (delta joint, ball joint and uniball) I know people talk about greasing and cleaning. Do you need a special tool? Do you have to do it yourself? From what I understand ball joints like jba and SPC the shop can do it for you when you are getting maintenance or do they? Can they do it for Uniballs and delta joints or will they use the wrong stuff and not know what they are? Sorry this is the First time lifting a truck

Thanks for the info. This is my post in the beginner no dumb question thread lol ?

Ok with aftermarket uca's (delta joint, ball joint and uniball) I know people talk about greasing and cleaning. Do you need a special tool? Do you have to do it yourself? From what I understand ball joints like jba and SPC the shop can do it for you when you are getting maintenance or do they? Can they do it for Uniballs and delta joints or will they use the wrong stuff and not know what they are? Sorry this is the First time lifting a truck
All UCA maintenance can be done at home with few tools
-19mm wrench
-19mm socket
-rachet
-torque wrench
-grease gun
-optional air for blowing

Greasing the bushing will require a 19mm socket and a 19mm wrench , loosen off , use grease gun pump grease in the zerk fitting and tighen to
85ft-lbs . How often ? Best left to manufacture or usage
Jba,SPC,delta joints will require a simple grease up via grease gun on the zerk fitting

Uniball , will require a possible blow to remove degree and a good spray of PTFE dry lube (which can be bought almost anywhere lube is sold)

What grease to use ? That's a personal choice
That's about all the maintenance you need for them all can be done at home with minimal tools

All UCA maintenance can be done at home with few tools
-19mm wrench
-19mm socket
-rachet
-torque wrench
-grease gun
-optional air for blowing

Greasing the bushing will require a 19mm socket and a 19mm wrench , loosen off , use grease gun pump grease in the zerk fitting and tighen to
85ft-lbs . How often ? Best left to manufacture or usage
Jba,SPC,delta joints will require a simple grease up via grease gun on the zerk fitting

Uniball , will require a possible blow to remove degree and a good spray of PTFE dry lube (which can be bought almost anywhere lube is sold)

What grease to use ? That's a personal choice
That's about all the maintenance you need for them all can be done at home with minimal tools
Thanks again for the info. Most of the companies say to grease when you do a oil change or 5k approx. If you go to a shop to get an oil change will they also grease it. Or do you have to do it at home

Thanks again for the info. Most of the companies say to grease when you do a oil change or 5k approx. If you go to a shop to get an oil change will they also grease it. Or do you have to do it at home
you would have to notify them when you bring you truck in to do so , they may charge you more because it's not part of the "factory service regiment" , toyotas service interval is also 16000km , then comes to weather they do it or not or "claim they did" will they charge you maybe maybe not ,

Are UCA’s necessary for a 1-3” suspension lift? I’ve been researching for a month .5 now. Keep getting drawn to BP51s and they don’t come with uca’s while other kits do..

Are UCA’s necessary for a 1-3” suspension lift? I’ve been researching for a month .5 now. Keep getting drawn to BP51s and they don’t come with uca’s while other kits do..
Needed :NO
Recommended: HIGHLY
If you are goong to have fun with your truck yes they also help on tires as some rub the uca , you will get better ball joint line up and less wear and tear , helps with aligning your wheels , gives more clearance for variety of coilovers
Oldman man emu deosnt offer on in the bp51 kit simply because they dont make one

Needed :NO
Recommended: HIGHLY
If you are goong to have fun with your truck yes they also help on tires as some rub the uca , you will get better ball joint line up and less wear and tear , helps with aligning your wheels , gives more clearance for variety of coilovers
Oldman man emu deosnt offer on in the bp51 kit simply because they dont make one
Thanks a lot! I’ll be adding uca’s

Do any of the balljoint arms use oem balljoints and bushings?
Ironman 4x4 Forged Aluminum UCA. I wanted to keep OEM bushings for the noise factor and it came down to these and the Nitro gear UCA (both use OEM bushing and ball joint). Both were around the same price ~ $600. No complaints so far. Only on for six months, but they seem pretty solid.

1665279538086.png

Do any of the balljoint arms use oem balljoints and bushings?
1/3 of the reason to upgrade the UCA's is to also upgrade the bushings and bj's with stronger components that are better suited to the peformance you are hoping to gain when upgrading your suspension. Stock bushings can bind so upgrading to a set with urethane bushings helps reduce play and increase travel, along with providing better steering feedback. Upgrading the ball joint to an option with increased range of motion also helps with binding and articulation. I don't think there's a better value than JBA when it comes to UCA on this truck. Increased articulation angle (higher than a uniball), caster correction option available, fully rebuildable, greaseable everything and great customer service.

Plus the red really grows on you after a while. (y)

Back