• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Trailer ball rust

OaklandTacoBro

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Living in the northeast has done a number on my trailer ball. Starting to rust pretty bad. Anyone have any good methods for removing the rust and then any suggestions for coating it afterwards to keep it from rusting?

You could try steel wool but if it's really bad I'd just buy a new one, They are pretty cheap. I've tried thse ball cover rubber things but I wasn't impressed and I expect they would only make the problem worse.

Living in the northeast has done a number on my trailer ball. Starting to rust pretty bad. Anyone have any good methods for removing the rust and then any suggestions for coating it afterwards to keep it from rusting?
I think the rusting of trailer balls is inevitable. It should be okay like that though. It was never a problem for my dad who towed a trailer too heavy for his 1/2 trucks for about 20 years, lol.

put grease on the ball and install a tennis ball over it while not in use. That's all I got :)

Amsoil heavy duty metal protector. Sprays on and dries to a clear brown thin coating. Works great for exposed bolts and battery connections.

Back