• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tools/parts to have while off-roading

mgmyota

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
What’s up peeps, just curious what tools and possible spare parts you guys either do carry with you or would suggest to carry with you while out adventuring or for an extended trip off the grid. I have a general idea but would love to hear some input from more experienced folks.

As much as you can carry!

Many of my peers have suggested cv axles along with the tools to replace one. I suggest an assortment of fluids, duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, definitely a tire repair kit and if your really ambitions a welder?

The best tool is doing as much preventive maintenance as possible before hitting the trail! Hope this helps!

As much as you can carry!

Many of my peers have suggested cv axles along with the tools to replace one. I suggest an assortment of fluids, duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, definitely a tire repair kit and if your really ambitions a welder?

The best tool is doing as much preventive maintenance as possible before hitting the trail! Hope this helps!
Honestly I saw your post on instagram earlier and it made me wonder ?. I carry a lot of the basics now, jack, basic tools, tape, electrical stuff etc. I really want to get a new set of tools dedicated to my vehicle and have them nice and neat in a roll up like you have. Some other stuff I’d get too but overall want to clean up my setup. Thanks for the help!

Honestly I saw your post on instagram earlier and it made me wonder ?. I carry a lot of the basics now, jack, basic tools, tape, electrical stuff etc. I really want to get a new set of tools dedicated to my vehicle and have them nice and neat in a roll up like you have. Some other stuff I’d get too but overall want to clean up my setup. Thanks for the help!
I’m guilty of never bringing much. Being able to change your tire is obviously essential.

But I have broken a serpentine belt and rear driveshaft while off-roading.

It seems unlikely you would ever snap a belt on these trucks unless you’re doing aggressive water crossings or constant mud hole passes (I broke mine with mud). Now that I have seen that I’m capable of snapping one, an extra belt is easy enough to bring. (Not so simple to change in these newer complicated engine bays though!)

A driveshaft though? The guys rock crawling on 40s bring those, but I think it’s impractical for us to carry. CV axles are probably our equivalent. However, are you also bringing the tools and knowledge to replace your CV axle? If not, you could potentially drive home with one broken.

A busted wheel/tire or a busted oil pan are probably the most likely catastrophic things that’ll prevent you from moving. Most other things can either be temporarily dealt with or even ignored until you’re home.

Zip-ties, a hammer, pry bar, bottle jack, common sockets, sawzall, chainsaw sometimes, fluids sometimes, and tape. Probably my minimum loadout (besides what I’m forgetting).

common metric sockets (10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22mm and some more for good measure) harbor freight 24” breaker bar, socket extensions, get a quality ratchet, a big & small flathead screwdriver, ratchet straps, siphon hose, hose clamps, tire plug kit, pressure gauge, compressor, zip ties, duct tape, JB weld 5 min epoxy, metal wire, fuses, GORILLA TAPE, some sort of battery powered impact. COLBY VALVE. I carry a spare CV axle from rock auto when I’m going further than a few hours from the house or large town (aka, west coast way out there trips). You need a good jump box. I recommend Rapid Rope. Home Depot sells an awesome crescent adjustable wrench set, (Amazon link for reference) I 10000000% recommend, here’s why; their wrench has teeth on it, therefore it doesn’t have to be 100% right to loosen a bolt because the teeth will grip the fastener.

Optional would be off road Jack. Our stock jack is actually pretty good and as long as you have it on a good base you won’t have any issues.

Last edited:
Here is a good list for a 2nd gen. A lot of it is applicable.

2nd gen Tacoma--FACTORY PARTS ONLY.

Metric sockets
  • 5.5 mm, blower motor resistor screws.
  • 8 mm, Running boards if you have them.
  • 10 mm, Center console bolts, Stereo, engine cover, tail lights, interior
  • 11 mm, Battery terminal
  • 12 mm, Skid plate bolts, e-brake mounting bracket
  • 13 mm, Tube steps if you have them.
  • 14 mm, Transmission drain plug, Oil drain plug and Drive shaft bolts, exhaust system, center support bearing, Radiator bolts, and many, many more!
  • 16 mm, Deep socket for spark plugs (16mm is virtually same as 5/8"; If you carry a 5/8 dedicated spark plug socket you don't need the 16mm)
  • 17 mm, Power steering, Sway Bar, Cab mount nuts, leaf spring bolts, nuts.
  • 19 mm, Lower Control Arm bolts and nuts., Deep socket for PCV valve
  • 21 mm, Wheel Lug nuts
  • 22 mm, Crank pulley bolt, Alternator
  • 24 mm, Transfer case & Rear diff, drain and fill plugs
  • 27 mm, shallow socket for reverse switch on manual transmissions
  • 30 mm, Rear diff flange
  • 35 mm, front Axle nut
SAE sockets
  • 7/32 socket for Blower Motor Resistor screws, 5.5mm works too.

Metric Hex Sockets (Same as Allen Keys)

Torx Sockets

External / Interior / Female Torx Sockets
  • E7 Torx socket to remove the 2 studs from the intake manifold
  • E14 Torx (diff removal)
OTHER

• Drive shaft bolts are M11 x 1.0 x 30mm
  • Toyota uses 7/16-20 SAE fine thread for seat belt bolt hardware if your shopping for replacements.
  • 10 mm flare nut wrench (brake lines)
  • (2) M8 x 1.25 bolts (Needed to remove the rear brake drums, need to be at least an inch and a half long) YOU CAN USE THE BOLTS THAT HOLD THE FACTORY SKID PLATE ON TO DO THIS. THEY WORK GREAT.
  • Bi-hexagon Wrench 10 mm, 1GR-FE ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM
  • Straight Hexagon Wrench 14 mm, 1GR-FE ENGINE MECHANICAL
  • Oil Filter wrench
  • 5/8" Spark Plug Socket or 16mm deep socket will also work for spark plugs.
  • Torque wrench
  • Breaker Bar
  • Large and Small pair of adjustable pliers
  • Long Needle nose pliers
  • Knife or box cutter
  • Long 8" screw driver
  • Assorted ratchet extensions 3", 6" and 8"
  • Phillips screw drivers, flex extension
  • Grease gun (if 4x4) for zerks on drive shaft

A lot of great info, thanks guys! Hopefully this can help a lot of newer people be more prepared too

I have always carried the same set of tools whether I was in my Jeep or with the Tacoma.

Bag of tools including 3/8 drive and 1/2. “Cheater bar”or breaker bar. I used a piece of fence post 1 1/2 works wonders on overtightenbolts. Pliers, needle nose and regular, slip joint pliers as well. Large sockets for hubs. Screw drivers (6 n 1 screwdrivers are great) zip ties, yes, most would be lying if they said they didn’t lol. Jumper cables, battery jump start (charge at home and will jump a vehicle at least twice) drill (hammer drill, battery) 3lb hammer, ratchet straps. Also carry an assortment of straps and d rings. Harbor freight offroad jack (made myself lol) misc fuses and electrical tools.

I’ve always carried u joints as well as jeeps like to throw them up all the time. Have not done it in the Tacoma yet. Misc fluids, coolant, penetrating fluid or wd40. Brake fluid, etc. Never know what could be needed.

Now do I need all that crap.... no. But I’ve learned that the time you don’t have it you will need it and that sucks. Waisted $25 on a bottle of power steering fluid and lost 2 hours waiting for a buddy to drive to the town to get it.

I probably carry more but just an idea. I have a set of cheap traction boards that have helped a time or two.

Back