• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tonneau cover with rack MOD

Taco_primo

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
White
For those of you that would like to keep your gear dry and out of sight from prying eyes.....well have I got a solution for you.

I can’t say for sure what other covers will work, I can only say that the Vanish from Access covers will work.

I have a RCI bed rack and I know this will work on other racks, now with that being said, there will be measuring and cutting.

It is a bit of a process but it is nice in the end.

I started by fitting the tonneau cover rails in place, pushing them all the way to the front of the bed where they would be when installed. Now at this point they will not fit snugly up against the bed rails due to the bed rack attachment points. The most important part is making sure they are all the way forward as they will go, snug them down and where ever the rail meets the rack bracket, make a scribe line on each side, this will be your cut line. Double and triple check before cutting.

47835DDE-C7E1-420E-BFD6-A0C96259D00E.jpeg
1E8831C4-BEA6-4581-AC4F-4EAF350E1C29.jpeg
A47312F7-81C4-4260-90EE-5E05CBA74748.jpeg
6D4C3D97-6E94-4ABD-8A6E-713366D0F153.jpeg

Now refit everything and file where needed for a tight fit.

The weather proofing will be a bit of a chore after all installed but it’s not terrible.

I know it’s not a super in-depth but it’s better then guessing and fiddling around like I did for a few hours.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Oh and I will mention that on the RCI rack, due to its angle of the side bars....it doesn’t really “roll” up you do kind of have to do it at an angle. It is worth the little extra work in my eyes though.
7B10CC49-4679-4555-8825-5D1D2215B8E4.jpeg
653E0D4A-CEF7-419D-84ED-C38BED7B0C70.jpeg
DD0D3FB1-23FB-4013-8C7D-BE8C7E995398.jpeg

This is great. Adding a tonneau cover has been on my mind, lately. I've got the same rack. Now I just need to decide if I'm going all in on building an RTT dedicated trailer, or doing this mod and keeping the rack on the truck. hmm....

This is great. Adding a tonneau cover has been on my mind, lately. I've got the same rack. Now I just need to decide if I'm going all in on building an RTT dedicated trailer, or doing this mod and keeping the rack on the truck. hmm....

I thought the same thing, I am going to be doing a trailer as well, I just figure for the quick weekend trip or overnighter, having the rack is perfect. Don’t always want to tow something behind you.

Back