• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tonneau / Bed Rack Combo

smoothoperators

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Quicksand
Hey all,
Will be picking up my '20 TRD Offroad tomm and want to keep my bed free of Northeast Snow. Ideally, I'd like to also utilize a bed rack in the near future. After a bit of research I found that RCI makes a bed rack that suits my needs and they advertise Tonneau adapters that look like they raise the bed rack so you can use a Tonneau simultanuesly. They say they can only confirm that it works with Bak Revolvers or similar rolling Tonneau's (for obvious reasons).

My question is - before I jump into a $2K+ purchase, am I missing any other combos solutions? Any other cost effective hard cover/bed rack combos? I'd actually be ok with the Tonneau not folding with the rack installed because I also intend to purchase a bedslide or truckvault. But it would be nice to have full functionality.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

@smoothoperators If you’re willing to wait on the rack system, upTOP is developing their TRUSS rack system so that you are still able to have a tonneau cover. I’m choosing to wait for the TRUSS system because it’s tough and light weight aluminum (36 lbs I think?) plus it looks badass. Should be out in a couple months, not sure if they’re going to change the price though. Currently $899
CEE486E8-92DE-47C7-867B-276426EACB16.png

@smoothoperators If you’re willing to wait on the rack system, upTOP is developing their TRUSS rack system so that you are still able to have a tonneau cover. I’m choosing to wait for the TRUSS system because it’s tough and light weight aluminum (36 lbs I think?) plus it looks badass. Should be out in a couple months, not sure if they’re going to change the price though. Currently $899
CEE486E8-92DE-47C7-867B-276426EACB16.png

Woah those do u look cool! They look available on their site now...
https://www.uptopoverland.com/collections/tacoma-1/products/uptop™-alpha-tacoma-truss
It doesnt make any mention of tonneau capability tho. Ill send them an email to ask and report back. Thanks though! This truck will be my daily driver so a little weight savings will help!

Oooh I see. they are making a new version of the Truss that will allow use of a tonneau. I understand. Yeah I don;t mind waiting - thanks for the suggestion!

Just an update:
Spoke with Micah at UpTop (fantastic guy btw), and he said they are testing the Tonneau compatible TRUSS this weekend and we can hopefully see it for sale within the next 2-4 weeks. He said they are testing it with the ReTrax One XR (link below), and will guarantee compatibility with that Tonneau. I've decided to go the retrax route because I am really digging the truss. Thanks again for all the help!

https://retrax.com/retraxone-xr/2019/toyota/tacoma

Just an update:
Spoke with Micah at UpTop (fantastic guy btw), and he said they are testing the Tonneau compatible TRUSS this weekend and we can hopefully see it for sale within the next 2-4 weeks. He said they are testing it with the ReTrax One XR (link below), and will guarantee compatibility with that Tonneau. I've decided to go the retrax route because I am really digging the truss. Thanks again for all the help!

https://retrax.com/retraxone-xr/2019/toyota/tacoma
Glad I could help! Thanks for the inside tip on when they’ll become available btw

Back