• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire pressure

Jay

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.lcoverland.com
2021 Sport DCSB Auto
Army Green
Okay T3G

I was talking to a friend that builds race trucks about tire pressure.
He said your tire pressure should match your tire size.

What are your thoughts. He said even on his 37s on his tundra he only runs 37psi.
I’ve been running at around 32-33 all around for a while now and tire wear seems to be pretty great

That is just a starting point (guideline). Fine tuning is still required for vehicle and load weights, speeds and terrain.

That is just a starting point (guideline). Fine tuning is still required for vehicle and load weights, speeds and terrain.
See I thought the same thing but I see people running around 40 which is really high

Chalk test seems to be what's considered most accurate.

I haven't done it yet though

Weight and sidewall firmness play the biggest factors in my experience. The chalk test is good for an initial starting point but it really comes down to trial and error in the end. Lighter rigs with firmer sidewalls need less pressure, and vice versa. Sidewalls that are more prone to deformation like the 33" P-metric "standard load" AT3Ws I had on my last truck needed more pressure for the best handling and fuel economy and also didn't need to be aired down as much off-road for the same reasons.

FWIW, I ran 38 psi front / 36 psi rear around town on my '16, and upped it by 2 psi in the rear when I was fully loaded. That was with the P285/70R17SL Falkens, and I only ever needed to air them down to about 20 psi for adequate compliance off-road. Compared to my much, much lighter 2nd Gen that had the same size tires only in an E-rated LT mud terrain, I only ran 33 psi front and rear and had to air down to about 15 psi to get any kind of pliability out of the sidewalls for flotation and rock crawling.

I know I sound crazy, but I run my tires (265/70/17 e rated KO2's) at 40-41 psi. I did the chalk test, and have since had several rotations and am getting even wear on all 4 corners. I still trip out when I think of how high the pressures are but I seem to get the best mileage and good wear this way.

We run varying PSI between vehicles here. Personally I run 40 PST in front and 38 in the rear on my second gen (right at about 6k curb weight currently) Falken 315/75R16 MT01's but ran less in the same size MTR's w/ Kevlar. Vehicle weight and tire type/brand/rating play into it a lot but trial and error are your best bet. My MT01's dont ride as smooth as someone who runs less PSI but they wear a hell of a lot better. After driving MRAP's and such I can deal with a stiff tire on the road and have it last longer.

We run varying PSI between vehicles here. Personally I run 40 PST in front and 38 in the rear on my second gen (right at about 6k curb weight currently) Falken 315/75R16 MT01's but ran less in the same size MTR's w/ Kevlar. Vehicle weight and tire type/brand/rating play into it a lot but trial and error are your best bet. My MT01's dont ride as smooth as someone who runs less PSI but they wear a hell of a lot better. After driving MRAP's and such I can deal with a stiff tire on the road and have it last longer.
What PSI do you run your penis pump at?

Oops, wrong thread.

+1 for the chalk test being a beginning. The chalk test ensures you won't wear the tires funny, but the reality is that a range of PSI's will pass the chalk test. I run Cooper ST Maxx LT235/85R16 at 40 front, 38 rear, with about 150lbs of permanent added weight. It's a little more comfortable at 33, but I get 1-2mpg better at 40/38. And they both still passed the chalk test.

I know I sound crazy, but I run my tires (265/70/17 e rated KO2's) at 40-41 psi. I did the chalk test, and have since had several rotations and am getting even wear on all 4 corners. I still trip out when I think of how high the pressures are but I seem to get the best mileage and good wear this way.

Is that cold pressure?

A little bumpy??? Drop the psi down around 35 .

Back