• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

So from what I’ve been reading, do most people prefer OVT over gears?
Im on 265/75/16’s but will eventually switch to 285/75/16.

Am I the only person who wasn’t impressed with OVT? My truck still hunts for gears like crazy and I am only running 255/80/17’s with very minimal armor and no tent on the rack.

It's not perfect but it helps. The transmission is a bit smarter but still stupid overall and the motor is definitely peppier for me, but still a dog. The 91 Performance tune is better than the 87 performance or the 91 base IMO. Overall it is an improvement but it's not perfect and I'm still planning a regear.

So from what I’ve been reading, do most people prefer OVT over gears?
Im on 265/75/16’s but will eventually switch to 285/75/16.

I think most people would regear if they could. You have to realize $700 doesn’t even cover labor in the cost of regearing two differentials.

It's not perfect but it helps. The transmission is a bit smarter but still stupid overall and the motor is definitely peppier for me, but still a dog. The 91 Performance tune is better than the 87 performance or the 91 base IMO. Overall it is an improvement but it's not perfect and I'm still planning a regear.

I tried 87 performance today, it’s a bit better. Downloading 91 perf when the tank is empty ??

I changed my vote! Switched to 91 performance last week and am very pleased with the truck. Time will tell on the highway as I haven’t taken any trips since downloading 91 but I am averaging 16.5 around town and the gear hunting issue is much much better.

I changed my vote! Switched to 91 performance last week and am very pleased with the truck. Time will tell on the highway as I haven’t taken any trips since downloading 91 but I am averaging 16.5 around town and the gear hunting issue is much much better.

Told you it's much better ?. It's still not hose to perfect for me on the highway as it still has issues holding gears, but as mentioned numerous times by others that's a great thing. The true fix is gears.

Told you it's much better ?. It's still not hose to perfect for me on the highway as it still has issues holding gears, but as mentioned numerous times by others that's a great thing. The true fix is gears.

We will see how this holds on the interstate and then see about regearing. Shitty part is there are no shops around me that is trust doing the job. Ecgs 3rd swap is an option too but I don’t know if I want recycled parts on a brand new truck either ??‍♂️

i was on 91 performance, switched to gear lock, and not a fan, will be switching back to 91 performance...don't really see the point in gear lock. Would rather have 91 performance and ECT on the highway. Hate how it downshifts as soon as i hit 65mph.

I've been on the fence about this since I first heard about it. I really dont feel like my truck drivers poorly and my only real gripe with the transmission is how it behaves under cruise control. If there were some other ECU calibration options like a high idle for winching ops, fog light any time or 4-hi rear diff lock settings I'd be all over it today.
I don't even know if it's possible to do that with the ECU? All I know about computer's is buying tacoma parts and looking at titties....

I've been on the fence about this since I first heard about it. I really dont feel like my truck drivers poorly and my only real gripe with the transmission is how it behaves under cruise control. If there were some other ECU calibration options like a high idle for winching ops, fog light any time or 4-hi rear diff lock settings I'd be all over it today.
I don't even know if it's possible to do that with the ECU? All I know about computer's is buying tacoma parts and looking at titties....
While the tune is one of my favorite mods on my truck and makes a big difference to me, I'd say put the money elsewhere if you're satisfied with the way your truck drives, especially if you're considering the tune only to improve cruise control.

I got to really test cruise control on the way home from Overland Expo. I was driving late at night and for ~400 miles at a time, never had to turn off cruise control (no one was on the road to be in my way). While the tune is supposed to significantly improve cruise control, I found it actually ended up being much worse on MPG and much worse than regular driving as far as searching for gears goes. Going up a hill, naturally your RPMs will go up. But then when you're on your way back down and even after you hit flat ground again the truck will still be stuck at 4000 RPM and you basically have to floor it to get it to shift.

Of course, your mileage may vary (literally and figuratively). We have different trucks with different weight and tire sizes. But this is what cruise control is like for me. Normal driving though, OVTune is huge. I'll still be regearing to 5.29 before I do Cali to New York though.

While the tune is one of my favorite mods on my truck and makes a big difference to me, I'd say put the money elsewhere if you're satisfied with the way your truck drives, especially if you're considering the tune only to improve cruise control.

I got to really test cruise control on the way home from Overland Expo. I was driving late at night and for ~400 miles at a time, never had to turn off cruise control (no one was on the road to be in my way). While the tune is supposed to significantly improve cruise control, I found it actually ended up being much worse on MPG and much worse than regular driving as far as searching for gears goes. Going up a hill, naturally your RPMs will go up. But then when you're on your way back down and even after you hit flat ground again the truck will still be stuck at 4000 RPM and you basically have to floor it to get it to shift.

Of course, your mileage may vary (literally and figuratively). We have different trucks with different weight and tire sizes. But this is what cruise control is like for me. Normal driving though, OVTune is huge. I'll still be regearing to 5.29 before I do Cali to New York though.
Yeah I pretty much have the same cruise control experience. Down shifts for hill climbing as expected but takes way to long to recognize the reduction in load and shift back to an OD gear. I'm also a little over geared with 255/85s and 4.88s.

Yeah I pretty much have the same cruise control experience. Down shifts for hill climbing as expected but takes way to long to recognize the reduction in load and shift back to an OD gear. I'm also a little over geared with 255/85s and 4.88s.
I just ordered my 5.29s (finally). I'm really curious to see what difference they'll make for cruise control. I'm throwing OVTune, 35s, and 5.29s at cruise control so surely something should happen, lol...

I just ordered my 5.29s (finally). I'm really curious to see what difference they'll make for cruise control. I'm throwing OVTune, 35s, and 5.29s at cruise control so surely something should happen, lol...
Nice! Gears will make a big difference and make your rig way more enjoyable! Definitely worth it!

I'm on 35's with 5.29's, running the 91 w/GL tune. The cruise control is horrendous. I love being able to set cruise and forget about it, but with the way this truck drives on CC, I find myself grinding my teeth.

I'm on 35's with 5.29's, running the 91 w/GL tune. The cruise control is horrendous. I love being able to set cruise and forget about it, but with the way this truck drives on CC, I find myself grinding my teeth.
On the other hand, everything besides cruise control, is much improved with the tune and gears.
Exactly. At least it wasn’t just my truck. I thought the cruise control was supposed to feel really good and there might be something wrong with my tune. But I guess it trash for everyone.

So is the truck still shifting all over the place in CC? I'm talking the absurd downshifts etc. What kind of behavior are we talking here?

Because with gears and OVTune I would figure that's about the best it's going to get.

So is the truck still shifting all over the place in CC? I'm talking the absurd downshifts etc. What kind of behavior are we talking here?

Because with gears and OVTune I would figure that's about the best it's going to get.
The truck still shifts like a mad man using CC. I should have mentioned I live at 6500'asl and frequent 7000'asl, so I imagine that has something to do with it. The interstate speed limit is 75, and I'm revving about 2250-2300 in 6th gear it'll dance around 5th and 6th, and I really dont mind that at all because it's not a huge jump in Rpm's, but when it drops to 4th at that speed it starts to get wild. I've had it go into 3rd trying to maintain that speed, which is absurd. If I'm maintaining speed with my foot like a simpleton, I can modulate the pedal for a much more comfortable drive. I didn't vote in the poll because it is an improvement, but it's not perfect yet. I'm hoping with some of the future updates it will get much better. Future updates being gear/tire size specific tunes as well as rewritten shift logic. It's good, not great.

The truck still shifts like a mad man using CC. I should have mentioned I live at 6500'asl and frequent 7000'asl, so I imagine that has something to do with it. The interstate speed limit is 75, and I'm revving about 2250-2300 in 6th gear it'll dance around 5th and 6th, and I really dont mind that at all because it's not a huge jump in Rpm's, but when it drops to 4th at that speed it starts to get wild. I've had it go into 3rd trying to maintain that speed, which is absurd. If I'm maintaining speed with my foot like a simpleton, I can modulate the pedal for a much more comfortable drive. I didn't vote in the poll because it is an improvement, but it's not perfect yet. I'm hoping with some of the future updates it will get much better. Future updates being gear/tire size specific tunes as well as rewritten shift logic. It's good, not great.

That's good info for sure. I know the times I've been at elevation the truck turns into an absolute dog going up decent hills. So I'm sure that is definitely a factor for you.

The cruise control on these trucks really is terrible. Sounds like even gearing and a tune doesn't help that.

It is interesting to hear how others don't like cruise control on these trucks either. I haven't liked cruise control on either Tacoma I've had (2nd gen and 3rd gen). Although, I remember the 2nd gen being better than my current truck. I had a 2004 Silverado before these trucks and that was the best cruise control I've ever had. It had about a +/- 3-4 MPH "buffer" zone. For example, if I was going 70 on the highway and came to a hill, the truck would naturally slow down to about 66-ish before kicking on and adjusting for the hill. Obviously, it had a bit more power and torque to get me back up to speed, but still. On the downward side of the hill, it would get me up to about 74-ish and then start decelerating. But it would let me coast. It feels like my Tacoma applies the brake sometimes on descents. It seemed like both my Tacoma's overwork themselves to always stay EXACTLY where you set it and if it has to adjust, it does so very aggressively and as quickly as possible. I can't remember the last time I have used CC in my Tacoma. It kills my mpg. Even when I was stock.

I would suggest not doing what I did. I got the 285’s but wish I got 35’s. If you can, try to hold off on new tires until you think you’re ready to do everything it takes to run 35’s. Just my advice so you’re not having to upgrade 3 times, lol.
I was thinking about 305/70/16 I think lol i had the recent tb update and it helped alot no more gear hunting and better throttle response

Another thing is when I added cold air intake and aftermarket muffler before the tb update it helped alot .when I first bought my truck brand new it never pinged on regular gas completely stock . When I added those mods I stepped up to mid grade gasoline and it helped quite the ping eventually I run super ping be gone . So my conclusion is 87octane I have to drive like grandma piss people off and listen to the motor ping, now on 92 octane I can drive with everyone else truck pulls up hills just fine I have 265/75/16 Cooper stt pro's stock gears the most recent tb update from Toyota cc still trys to fight it between 5th and 6th but it's doesn't happen as much best mpgs I'm averaging is 21mpg 60mph at distance of 82 miles to work . Will be upgrading to 305/70/17 was considering 4.88 gearing camping gear adds up alot of weight. But I'm keeping my stock wheels for winter tires 255/65/16 I think that's the right size . Ov tune I'm gonna wait till the product is more solid.

Ordered it, should be getting package today. I will start process this weekend, but it is a holiday weeken, and I don’t know what it yet entails. Stay tuned, (pun intended)

I bought the tune about a month ago primarily for the gearlock function and the ability to gain a little more control over RPMs while towing. Gotta say I'm very impressed! OVT did a very good job and the truck is allot more fun to drive. I have no way to prove it but I'd say the truck accelerates faster with 35s and steel bumpers than it did when it was bone stock (I do have 4.88s). I'm sold and will definitely be buying one of their forced induction kits when available!
Were taking a trailer up to the mountains next week and looking forward to seeing how she does with gearlock. Will update.

I'm running the first 2.0 beta with gear lock. I haven't upgraded to the most recent one that came out a few days ago yet.

The o e I'm running is definitely an improvement.

I'm on the newest 2.0 91 octane gear lock 4.88 tune.

I'm on the newest 2.0 91 octane gear lock 4.88 tune.
How is that 91 version? I am on the 1st 4.88 beta. Not blown away by it ,even think i was getting much better MPG's on 1.05 87 base tune

I have the 1.05 91 base and my mileage sucks. I get on average 12.5-13.5 mpg per tank average.

Back