• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

TCOTUE BBP DCSB

The new cover looks awesome!

Thanks man! I like it a lot!
Right on!!
Thanks again!

On another note, got my socket in. I didn't take any pics of the install :rolleyes:. I fought back and forth with where to install. I ended up installing in the center console. The main reason for that, I have a hard enough time seeing at night. This socket I ordered has a volt meter, which anytime the truck is on it's bright as shit. Popped up the center console, slide out the oem socket. I tried like hell to use the oem connector, but the connecter was at 90 degrees. The socket I got the terminals run parallel. Ended up chopping the oem connector off, using the supplied terminals. Also had to dremel out the socket hole just a little bit. I debated on running a cord up to my phone, but that would have required me to drill a hole for the cord to pass through. Buttoned it up after that. Simple install, although I'll probably order a Blue sea one for the lower console as I thought this one was a fast charge. Pro tip...it's not. I'm disappointed, but I hate returning stuff. Emailing a wheel vendor today to see if the wheels I am wanting are in stock 😬

Thanks man! I like it a lot!

Thanks again!

On another note, got my socket in. I didn't take any pics of the install :rolleyes:. I fought back and forth with where to install. I ended up installing in the center console. The main reason for that, I have a hard enough time seeing at night. This socket I ordered has a volt meter, which anytime the truck is on it's bright as shit. Popped up the center console, slide out the oem socket. I tried like hell to use the oem connector, but the connecter was at 90 degrees. The socket I got the terminals run parallel. Ended up chopping the oem connector off, using the supplied terminals. Also had to dremel out the socket hole just a little bit. I debated on running a cord up to my phone, but that would have required me to drill a hole for the cord to pass through. Buttoned it up after that. Simple install, although I'll probably order a Blue sea one for the lower console as I thought this one was a fast charge. Pro tip...it's not. I'm disappointed, but I hate returning stuff. Emailing a wheel vendor today to see if the wheels I am wanting are in stock 😬

It should be. Did you use a quick charging charger in that outlet before?

I didn’t, maybe I read the listing wrong 🤷‍♂️
The listing of the item was right. With the green on the inside that indicates quick charging.
So it was a 12v plug outlet? Wondering if the wiring to that spot is capable of QC. Might need to run a line. Now I just need to know. I'm pretty sure the USB ports in my center console don't have enough oomf to QC my phone.

The listing of the item was right. With the green on the inside that indicates quick charging.
So it was a 12v plug outlet? Wondering if the wiring to that spot is capable of QC. Might need to run a line. Now I just need to know. I'm pretty sure the USB ports in my center console don't have enough oomf to QC my phone.
Wiring was a breeze, just positive and negative. I may try my oem apple cable on the drive home, and see if that yields me better results. Charging is lack luster, and the same it was before. Except now I don't have a charger plugged into the 12v socket, as it's just a usb socket now.

Wiring was a breeze, just positive and negative. I may try my oem apple cable on the drive home, and see if that yields me better results. Charging is lack luster, and the same it was before. Except now I don't have a charger plugged into the 12v socket, as it's just a usb socket now.
Not the outlet or how it's wired itself. I meant if the care provides enough power to that spot to make QC work. Why I mentioned just running something directly off the battery or aux panel.

Not the outlet or how it's wired itself. I meant if the care provides enough power to that spot to make QC work. Why I mentioned just running something directly off the battery or aux panel.
Ohhh I see what you mean. The volt meter shows ~13.8 when running.

That's a plus. I hate having that big-ass charger plug sticking out over the cup holder.

That's a plus. I hate having that big-ass charger plug sticking out over the cup holder.
Same here, that was more or less the reasoning for swapping it out. The charger I had was massive, luckily I had it hidden in the center console. I decided to swap it out, as that charger kept working itself out of the socket. At least we have a way to charge our stuff while on the road in a few weeks.

EDIT: tried the OEM apple cable last night. Same results. Oh well at least it works. Charged maybe 10% on a 30 min drive. My fast charger at home, will charge my phone from dead to 50% in about 20 min.

Last edited:
Took a little trip (11 hours away), drove from Springfield MO to Nashville, stayed the night (Saturday). Then woke up early sunday to head to Gatlinburg. Views were amazing, roads were even better. Tonneau did great! Kept all of our gear dry (it rained most of the trip). Here are a few pics!

8CF63958-4743-4A50-9338-47F18BD41374.jpeg
592A20AE-ADDD-43EC-873A-94F4D092EF9B.jpeg
738D7FB6-C880-492C-9ED5-005ECA90CB68.jpeg
A401D8C9-4AD2-49C5-ABD3-513D9789BDEB.jpeg

Great pics! Thanks for sharing those!

One thing I wanted when buying a new truck was CarPlay. Since buying a ‘20+ was out of our range, I opted for aftermarket. Being that the 9” Pioneer headunit with CarPlay were $1000+, that just seems like too much. I found this Joying unit for 1/3 the price. I watched tons of videos, read all the forums and decided to give it a try. Ordered from Amazon for $330. Comes with canbus decoder and plug and play wiring harness. While this unit can’t do everything the $1000+ Pioneer can do, it does what I what I asked of a headunit. Wireless CarPlay. In all reality that’s all I wanted. It works great, not laggy or slow at all. Sounds great! I’m now ready to add a subwoofer in the future. I also plan to upgrade the speakers now that they ALL have power. The OEM unit severely diminished the sound out of the rear speakers. This one has a full equalizer.

Overall very happy with my purchase.

014F33F8-7485-4556-A989-3664386EDAB5.jpeg

I've been considering doing something similar. I really want Android Auto for navigation but I'm torn between a new HU and just using some cheap tablet on a separate mount. Does this unit give you new functionality beyond connecting your phone? Read sensor values or anything like that?

I've been considering doing something similar. I really want Android Auto for navigation but I'm torn between a new HU and just using some cheap tablet on a separate mount. Does this unit give you new functionality beyond connecting your phone? Read sensor values or anything like that?
You can order a OBD scanner, ELM327 and it will work with this unit.

Welllll I guess it was time. This is going to be slow, but slowly buying little things here and there.

Ordered wheels tonight.
17x8.5 0 offset
E782C1DD-771C-438C-9A31-92F68A6896DF.png

For now (unless I find a killer deal) I’ll swap over my stock tires. I’m super stoked!

Super stoked to finally get some wheels! Prior to that, my Jeep buddy and I went out and rode some super tight trails in Mark Twain National Forest here in the Ozarks. Turns out we ended up RZR trails, but we both made it out just fine.

Powerline Rd
F6042EAB-D63B-46F4-A027-4FBBCBB301AE.jpeg

Taco and Buddy's Jeep on 35's
ED2C7724-A93D-4BDB-9C92-3C03C38B8CF0.jpeg

So as we were heading down this trail, it got very tight. Did I mention it was for a RZR? We stopped at this frozen mud pit to see the best way to get around it. He decided just hitting it straight on was a good idea. He made it through no issues, but as you can see from the pics below I did not. When he went over he broke up the 8" thick ice, when I started to head over the ice broke and I sunk. Ended up having to winch me out of the hole. My stock tires were not up to the task of climbing that ice. We made it out the rest of the trail with no issues. He was super impressed in the Tacoma's capabilities being stock.
7862F408-84CD-45CC-A40F-2E1968BD8177.jpeg

30D2F42E-3B42-43A0-85C1-2A947E6BF7E5.jpeg

Which brings me to the new wheels. I really debated on just swapping my stock tires for now, as they still have half their tread left. My wife and I discussed this and we both decided that new AT tires were in order. Did quite a bit of research on the best tire to fit my needs. I decided to go with Falken Wildpeak AT3 in a 265/70/17.

A9549A14-32AF-4482-900F-1922F4294B7B.jpeg

C9D109E8-A0D9-4A7A-863D-E1B57F1A19BA.jpeg

We are getting some winter weather for the next couple of days, and I'm glad I got the tires installed. I've read these tires are good in the snow. Hoping to snag some snow pics over the next couple of days.

Guess it's time for a small update. Thanks to a member on here, I was able to secure a Toytec lift kit. Thanks again @gelsi2033 ! Ended up ordering a rear lift as well, but just haven't had the time to install it. I did experience some vibrations after I installed the front coilovers, so got a diff bushing ordered. Went to my dad's last week (as I was lacking a couple tools that he had). He helped me remove and install. The bearing that came out, was in decent shape but upon inspection my cv had quite a bit of play. Yukon diff bushing installed and all vibes are gone, no more play in the cv.

Toytec Aluma 2.0 Front lift (w/ rear shocks installed)
C2B8B27A-FBB7-429E-9C4A-071B707F1349.jpg

Stock needle bearing
63E82B02-53B8-42BE-A165-22C74AE7CC6A.jpeg

Ordered up some chalk bags as I seem to always be carrying a large Nalgene type water bottle, and they are always rolling around everywhere. Weather is supposed to super nice next week, so I may try and get the rear completed to get rid of the carolina squat I got going on.

Not much to update. Installed my diff breather kit I ordered months ago, thinking I'd actually use it soon. Also been wanting some vent visors to help with heat in the cabin while I'm at work. Ordered some and got them installed a hour before this trip. I went with in channel ones, they are nice and my wife says they make my truck look like an old mans :ROFLMAO: . Yesterday took a trip with my Jeep buddies (I really got to find some Tacoma friends local, that actually wheel), we went to Gladetop National Forest here in Southwest Mo. It's about an hour drive from me. Weather last week was 95+, but we had a "cold front" move in and it was only 80. Super nice day to get out in nature, decompress and contemplate things I've got going on in life.

After I found some mud.
89ACB8E4-2E7C-4478-A789-D88665125D9D.jpeg

Parked under a huge ledge in the creek.
53CE355B-3B38-4784-AA08-3E3074855E3C.jpeg

FA95FA13-EEA9-4B45-8CF4-1BFBEDD8F828.jpeg

Toyota Mud Trap, and it lived up to it's name. JL buddy made it through barely, dragging his diff and plates. I made it about 10 ft before I had to back out. Ruts were about 3 1/2 foot deep. I thought I could climb around it, I was mistaken.
DBF573A4-4117-4093-BCB6-63576443768F.jpeg

End of the day, we ran the trails for about 3 1/2 hours, and drove a whole 9 miles on trails. All in all a AWESOME day.
97E5B2A6-B1AD-4065-8C1C-7F9AB85C9D31.jpeg

Nothing really to update again. About to roll over 60k. Bought this thing in June ‘21, with 33k. Since I spent so much time on the road, I figured it was time to replace the underpowered powered sub. It worked for the time being, but with my history of having big stereos I just couldn’t do the anemic bass response of the powered sub. I see a lot of hate for TacoTunes on the “other” forum, but my transaction went very smooth, and I am very pleased with the components I purchased from them.

I bought their 10” single box, I debated on a 12” but ultimately decided a single 10” should suffice for my needs. Ended up going with the Image Dynamics 10” DVC in a 2 ohm. The box is great because you mount it to the cab before you install the sub, thus making it almost thief proof. This will come back to bite me, but so far is working out.

Amplifier was next, saw tons of great reviews online for a discontinued Alpine MRV-M500 mono sub amp. Can’t beat Alpine quality, comes with a birth sheet and a true wattage test sheet. Unfortunately I figured out after that this amp was not stable down to 1 ohm, it will do it, but it just doesn’t like it for long durations. The 4 ohm load that it’s currently wired for bumps about 350 watts. Amp is installed under my drivers seat, eventually I’ll build or buy a amp rack for it to sit on.

In the future, I’ll probably upgrade the sub to something of a SVC 2 ohm to get the 500 watts advertised out of the Alpine.

Overall initial testing and break in sounds AMAZING! So much more response and deep hits.

F97016D8-C3F1-46E1-A44D-6349BA8D5FB5.jpeg

B361C7FA-4D39-4AB4-8D96-BA27C4D4E102.jpeg

3AD1F946-29DE-4ED5-B735-7BF1232AE24A.jpeg

32CDB8EC-3563-441B-B061-6E216F414600.jpeg

Thanks guys!

Tonights venture will be trying to minimize the pin stripes down the side in prep for Car's and Coffee Saturday. Been awhile since I've wielded a DA, but it should all come back to me. I did my last vehicle and it turned out amazing. I got some heavier compound for the truck, it's pretty rough.

Back