• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Taco lean: what did you do to mitigate it?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Just the other day I noticed I have some decent Taco lean. I have a 1/4” spacer installed on the front driver side coil for this, but evidently that isn’t enough.

I’m thinking I could add a 1/2” spacer to that. Or remove it and put two 1/2” spacers. I could set the 5100’s up a notch, but then they’d be maxed out. And when I fix the front I’m not sure how much higher that will set the rear, if anything at all.

What did you guys have to do to even out your Taco lean?

16BF5357-AA9A-4C76-9375-5876F76025D5.jpeg

Drive side (left) / passenger side (right)

Bought Kings :D

But in all seriousness this is a case where adjustable coilovers are worth every penny. No need for spacers or top plates, just a few turns and you can adjust to accommodate. If Kings are out of your budget Toytec does have adjustable coilovers with 5100s that are reasonably priced.

Bought Kings :D

But in all seriousness this is a case where adjustable coilovers are worth every penny. No need for spacers or top plates, just a few turns and you can adjust to accommodate. If Kings are out of your budget Toytec does have adjustable coilovers with 5100s that are reasonably priced.
I’ve got the 5100’s but if I set them higher, they’d be at the top notch. That’s not recommended so I’m back to spacers, lol.

I'm installing 5100s with OME 884 on 0 setting with a 1/4" spacer on the driver side by Headsrong to mitigate.

I'm installing 5100s with OME 884 on 0 setting with a 1/4" spacer on the driver side by Headsrong to mitigate.
Hopefully it works out for you. Kinda annoyed I did it "right" but still have to take it back apart to even it out.

How soon does the Taco lean usually become apparent? I'm just about to hit 10k miles and I don't think it's started leaning yet. What should I try to measure on each side of the truck to verify?

How soon does the Taco lean usually become apparent? I'm just about to hit 10k miles and I don't think it's started leaning yet. What should I try to measure on each side of the truck to verify?
I measured to the point of the front side of the front fenders. After the lift is settled (500 miles or less really), you’ll either notice it or you may not. How much gas you have makes a difference.
900AD899-87B5-4AE7-B7BB-03EA9BDE8496.jpeg

You could also just measure to the bottom corner which would probably be easier to read.

I'll measure later today but just from looking at it every now and then ever since I heard about the lean, I haven't noticed anything. Is it truly luck of the draw for whether or not it happens or do certain trims for the Tacoma's get it less often?

Last edited:
I'll measure later today but just from looking at it every now and then ever since I heard about the lean, I haven't noticed anything. Is it truly luck of the draw for whether or not it happens or do certain trims for the Tacoma's get it less often?
So I’m not 100% on that, but from all that I’ve read about it, it kind of is luck. Plenty of trucks with my setup are fine with the 1/4” spacer on the driver side. Me for whatever reason, it wasn’t enough.

Mine is noticeable to me day 1 from the dealership. I will eventually run kings and adjust it to even

Mine is noticeable to me day 1 from the dealership. I will eventually run kings and adjust it to even
I didn’t know they do it when they’re stock. I wonder why Toyota just makes this not happen. Seems easy enough, lol.

It was leaning driver side on the sales lot. Very little but I am anal that way. I notice very small details like that

It was leaning driver side on the sales lot. Very little but I am anal that way. I notice very small details like that
I’m super anal. It’s driving crazy that mine is bad. And that I have to take it apart and probably install longer shock studs for the bigger spacer.

I don't notice the taco lean.. I put the 1/4 spacer. is your notch set at 0 on both sides?

I have 2nd gen TRD Pro coilovers with the taco lean fix built in but my lean was still bad so I installed a Headstrong 1/4 inch spacer. Still leans but only by 1/4 inch so I'm cool with it

Back