• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Soft Top Bed Cage

Datin Metal Fab

datinfab.com
Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Website
datinfab.com
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Hey Tacoma3G,
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that we will be releasing a soft topper bed cage very soon! We are also running a clearance sale on Tacoma racks that we have in the shop to make room for our new projects coming in this summer. Deal is 20% off and 50% off shipping or if you're local, 25% off. Let me know what you guys think!
Here is a link to the sale!
Tacoma Soft Topper Bed Cage.png

I think you're going to have a lot of sales with that product.

I'm sure they will or have asked, but will it clear both Softtoper and Bestop brands of soft tops?

I will have to check what brand of soft topper the owner of the pickup I measured has. The rack will clear a cover that's less than 60" wide and 19.5" tall

I think Bestop is taller but softopper is more popular for the 3rd gens.

I just asked and he said its the Soft Topper Brand. I would have to see or get some measurements on the Bestop one to guarantee it will fit as configured.

I need this to go with my softopper. But I live in Hawaii. Shipping usually kills it. Lol

DM me a your address and I'll get a quote and see what we can do. These aren't in production quite yet, but we could be taking phone orders as soon as next week depending on how our test fitment goes Tuesday morning. I have it designed to be all bolt together and fits in a 10x10x45" box that weighs around 80-100lbs depending on how much packaging we have to use.

Thanks,
Tanner

I think Bestop is taller but softopper is more popular for the 3rd gens.

Okay, I'll have to check it out. I know I measured the Softopper to be about 19", but in my dummy model I made it taller and still gave it clearance in the model so it may still work with Bestop as configured, I'd just need the height measurement to know for sure.

Hey Tacoma3G,
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that we will be releasing a soft topper bed cage very soon! We are also running a clearance sale on Tacoma racks that we have in the shop to make room for our new projects coming in this summer. Deal is 20% off and 50% off shipping or if you're local, 25% off. Let me know what you guys think!
Here is a link to the sale!
Tacoma Soft Topper Bed Cage.png

@datinmetalfab bummers as I just sold my softopper last night! But...also good news as I've been looking for a bedrack option that would clear a lockable bedcover. Right now the only option out there is KB Voodoo but I'm don't feel comfortable going that route. By chance, have you guys tested fitment on this with maybe a Pace Edwards or American Roll cover? I've been looking for an option to run a rack while being able to secure items in the bed during the work week.

@datinmetalfab bummers as I just sold my softopper last night! But...also good news as I've been looking for a bedrack option that would clear a lockable bedcover. Right now the only option out there is KB Voodoo but I'm don't feel comfortable going that route. By chance, have you guys tested fitment on this with maybe a Pace Edwards or American Roll cover? I've been looking for an option to run a rack while being able to secure items in the bed during the work week.

DM sent!

DM me a your address and I'll get a quote and see what we can do. These aren't in production quite yet, but we could be taking phone orders as soon as next week depending on how our test fitment goes Tuesday morning. I have it designed to be all bolt together and fits in a 10x10x45" box that weighs around 80-100lbs depending on how much packaging we have to use.

Thanks,
Tanner

Thanks bro, I could really use this.

We are test fitting this rack tonight. I will post pictures and availability as soon as I have more information. @Kurupt_Hawaiian , UPS, and USPS were a no go, still working with FedEx and I'm also getting a quote from Alhoa Freight Services. If there are more people around you that want racks, let them know because we could probably work a better deal shipping a pallet or more of racks. I'm also thinking sending them by boat is going to be the cheapest option if you don't need it immediately!

Test fit was a success, we are trying to decide if we should lower the center bars 5/8" closer to the top of the soft topper. What do you all think?
20180529_184235.jpg

Id match bar height up with prinsu rack and front runner heights. Also can the softopper fold up while the rack is on? As in collapse

@Datin Metal Fab , Looking good so far! Did you get measurements for the Bestop also? If it will fit both and you are able to lower it, that would be my recommendation.
I have not been able to get in touch with Best Top. We are still trying to decide what to do with the height. Ed and I both would really like to lower it, but we're worried people are going to have issues with the shark fin if they want to carry a canoe or something on top.

In regards to if the soft topper will fold up, the answer is no. You can roll the sides up, but we tried to make the rack fit as tight as possible to the soft topper because we feel that's what looks the cleanest. The only way to build a rack that would allow the soft topper to fold up would be to leave around 3" of clearance around the entire rack. We are also looking into making our own roof rack so it would pair perfectly with our rack.

I have not been able to get in touch with Best Top. We are still trying to decide what to do with the height. Ed and I both would really like to lower it, but we're worried people are going to have issues with the shark fin if they want to carry a canoe or something on top.

In regards to if the soft topper will fold up, the answer is no. You can roll the sides up, but we tried to make the rack fit as tight as possible to the soft topper because we feel that's what looks the cleanest. The only way to build a rack that would allow the soft topper to fold up would be to leave around 3" of clearance around the entire rack. We are also looking into making our own roof rack so it would pair perfectly with our rack.
Is having the option when ordering a possibility?

Is having the option when ordering a possibility?

I showed Ed all the comments about making it lower and we've decided to listen to the people and drop it a half inch. This is going to put between a 0.5"-0.75" gap between the bottom of the rack and the top of the soft topper.

What type of weight can these hold?

We've never maxed one out, but I'm confident that it will hold more weight than the bed rails on the truck can hold.

Also, if anyone wants to buy the prototype pictured above for a 2nd gen Tacoma, let me know! If you want it, its yours for $500 + shipping! If you want it powder coated, I can get that done for you for $200 extra. DM me if you're interested. MSRP price on these will be closer to $900, this is a one time prototype deal.

Last edited:
I showed Ed all the comments about making it lower and we've decided to listen to the people and drop it a half inch. This is going to put between a 0.5"-0.75" gap between the bottom of the rack and the top of the soft topper.

We've never maxed one out, but I'm confident that it will hold more weight than the bed rails on the truck can hold.

Also, if anyone wants to buy the prototype pictured above for a 2nd gen Tacoma, let me know! If you want it, its yours for $500 + shipping! If you want it powder coated, I can get that done for you for $200 extra. DM me if you're interested. MSRP price on these will be closer to $900, this is a one time prototype deal.
The prototype will fit a 3rd gen the same, correct?

The prototype will fit a 3rd gen the same, correct?

It wont fit the same sadly. The bed rails on the 3rd gens are 2" taller than the bed rails on the 2nd gens. The uprights for the 2nd gen and the prototype shown are 22" where the uprights for the 3rd gens are 20".

It wont fit the same sadly. The bed rails on the 3rd gens are 2" taller than the bed rails on the 2nd gens. The uprights for the 2nd gen and the prototype shown are 22" where the uprights for the 3rd gens are 20".
So it will be a little taller? But it does fit?

Back