• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Snow Chain help

DWhite750

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 Pro DCSB Auto
White
First Winter in Colorado mountains and looking for the best snow chains for my truck. Running K02 285/75/16.

Thanks

Whatever combo you run, I'd be concerned that your chains will regularly make contact with your fender liner, fender well, or cab mount. Your chosen tire size puts you right in the realm of possible clearance issues. So you'll have to check your setup carefully.

Whatever combo you run, I'd be concerned that your chains will regularly make contact with your fender liner, fender well, or cab mount. Your chosen tire size puts you right in the realm of possible clearance issues. So you'll have to check your setup carefully.
YEs I will definitely look at that when i get some. I did install SPC UCA and had the tires moved forwarded some to help with the rubbing issue.

Irrelevant for chains, though. You should only run chains on the rear wheels, unless you like destroying brake lines.
This^^ it’s in the manual too FYI. Not being a jerk I just Don’t remember the specifics off the top of my head. But I remember Seeing it.

Haha, I'm an idiot. Thanks for correcting. I totally spaced on that. 🤦‍♂️😂😂🤣🤣

I'm on my 32nd winter in Colorado.
The only time I've used chains was for getting through a few feet of fresh to haul an elk out of the backcountry.
All terrains work great, and winter specific siped tires even better.
I ran studded bfg's on a older yota with lincoln lockers, cause it would get so squirrelly.
But never drove over monarch pass wishing I had chains.
Don't even own them.
Our snow is typically a little easier to drive on then back east or midwest snow.
Dry, cold and grippy in comparison.
We don't salt much here either.
We put down gravel, the size that cracks your windshield.

And welcome to Colorado.
Hope you have a great winter.

Last edited:
I'm on my 32nd winter in Colorado.
The only time I've used chains was for getting through a few feet of fresh to haul an elk out of the backcountry.
All terrains work great, and winter specific siped tires even better.
I ran studded bfg's on a older yota with lincoln lockers, cause it would get so squirrelly.
But never drove over monarch pass wishing I had chains.
Don't even own them.
Our snow is typically a little easier to drive on then back east or midwest snow.
Dry, cold and grippy in comparison.
We don't salt much here either.
We put down gravel, the size that cracks your windshield.

And welcome to Colorado.
Hope you have a great winter.
CBob,
Thanks for the information. Two reason I was thinking about chains. 1) If i was driving to Denver and was on 70( its been bad with a rental not my truck yet. ) Im driving from Fraser CO. and going over Berthoud Pass. 2) Driving with a snowmobile trailer on dirt roads that dont get plowed to often.

Do you thing the BFG KO2 will be good enough fort the winter?

Thanks again

Ive lived in Crested Butte for 32 years now, and pulled a snowmobile trailer too.
I've never needed chains.
If 70 gets bad it will close because of avy danger or wrecks.

We do all of our Dr appointments in denver and seems like we are always going over monarch pass in snowy conditions, all terrains are good to go.

You will be fine with the KOs
The snow up in the mtns wilk be dryer than denver snow, and less slippery.
If there is enough snow on a forest rd to think about chains just unload the sleds there.

The only exception would be getting stuck up high elevation in a hunting camp after a 3 footer.
Seen that on a Halloween storm.
We were on sleds up kebler pass and saw hunters trying to get out of camp. They had a rough time.
Snowmobile club pulled them out with a snow cat.

Ive lived in Crested Butte for 32 years now, and pulled a snowmobile trailer too.
I've never needed chains.
If 70 gets bad it will close because of avy danger or wrecks.

We do all of our Dr appointments in denver and seems like we are always going over monarch pass in snowy conditions, all terrains are good to go.

You will be fine with the KOs
The snow up in the mtns wilk be dryer than denver snow, and less slippery.
If there is enough snow on a forest rd to think about chains just unload the sleds there.

The only exception would be getting stuck up high elevation in a hunting camp after a 3 footer.
Seen that on a Halloween storm.
We were on sleds up kebler pass and saw hunters trying to get out of camp. They had a rough time.
Snowmobile club pulled them out with a snow cat.
Great information.! We been in Fraser Co for 3 year on and off and now here full time.

Back