• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Smittybilt Overlander Gen 2 Roof Top Tent Review

StormRnr

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRNjDxqiqA

So I got a Smittybilt Overlander Gen 2 RTT in the standard size recently. I know they had some QC issues with their first gen tent, but from what I can tell the second gen tent is much better. Since this video I've added a 1.5 inch memory foam topper from Target which makes the mattress actually useable. If i keep it long term I'll probably figure something else out by adding maybe a better softer piece of foam under that and trashing the original mattress. So far the mattress is the only problem. Everything else is great so far.

01-smittybilt-roof-top-tent.jpg

Couple things if you don't watch the video that are specific to Tacomas:

1) Bed stiffeners: Do you need them? I don't know. But I did get them. I got the @TOTAL CHAOS Stiffeners because they were the most low profile, and came up highest on the bed.

2) Weight: The tent isn't that heavy really, but with off-road dynamics, you might want to consider the load rating of your canopy. Mine is a Snugtop GB Sport "Sportsmen" model with extra fiberglass for a 500# rating.

-M

Attachments

• IMG_1378.JPG
    IMG_1378.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 250
$1149.99...I got my Gen 1 on Amazon, shipped for 730.54 a little over a year ago. It being so cheap in comparison to other tents was it's biggest selling point.

I liked the review. I do like the new ladder, the zipping cover (so sick of fighting with the velcro) and the clear moonroofs that are new in the Gen2 but I don't think the upgrades warrent the price.

That said, I don't think any Smittybilt review is complete without an attempt to contact their customer service...you see they don't have any.

Yeah. That extra $1000 comes from the customer service and QC Budget they don't have to spend.

-M

Is it worth the $1k savings for the extra time it takes to setup and break down? Hard shells are about $2k+ and take 5 minutes

Is it worth the $1k savings for the extra time it takes to setup and break down? Hard shells are about $2k+ and take 5 minutes
I said 9 min in the video but it only took me 6. That said, a hard shell is faster than 5 minutes. And way easier. Worth it? IDK.

Back