• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tutorial Seat height "mod".

Professional Asian

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2016 SR5 AC Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
[Long story short.... If your back hurts from the seat, try this!]​
If you think this is unsafe or stupid, no need to let me know. I get it.
Like many others, I don't find the seating position to be comfortable. I'm young and in good shape, but my lower back would hurt after driving more than just a few minutes... (Not a problem I experienced in my '04 Dodge 2500 even with a crappy seat) I'm 6'0 and my legs are just too dang long to deal with a seat that low/close to the pedals. No support on my thighs/hips. I could slide all the way back, but then barely reach the steering wheel... lol.​
I found someone selling seat spacers... but I decided I didn't want to wait, so I went the ghetto route and stacked five 3/16" spacers underneath the rear seat rail bolts (You have to get longer bolts- M10x1.25x50mm). All in all, it cost me around $10 and 5 minutes of "labor", lol. It made a world of a difference and I'm much more eager to take my truck on road trips now! No more back pain.
After living with this setup for a few thousand miles I think I may even add one or two more spacers for a slight height increase.​
Hope this helps someone!​

Last edited:
Thanks for this! I may try it as im 6'2" and experience the same issues.

This is interesting... lately I've been battling some serious back pain issues (stemmed from poor weightlifting form) and I saw the spacers too but I said "I'm 6'2... if the damn seat gets any taller my heads going to hit the room"... but maybe I should give this a go?

This is interesting... lately I've been battling some serious back pain issues (stemmed from poor weightlifting form) and I saw the spacers too but I said "I'm 6'2... if the damn seat gets any taller my heads going to hit the room"... but maybe I should give this a go?

I would try washers before a spacer, there's more adjustability. Being 6'0, my head is still seems pretty far from the roof. Stack some washers to 3/4 of an inch and see how that suits you! The higher you go, the more difference it'll make on your legs, but obviously you don't wanna be rubbing your head on the roof lol

I would try washers before a spacer, there's more adjustability. Being 6'0, my head is still seems pretty far from the roof. Stack some washers to 3/4 of an inch and see how that suits you! The higher you go, the more difference it'll make on your legs, but obviously you don't wanna be rubbing your head on the roof lol
Is it a pain in the dick to do the mod also I assume it voids the warranty? :unsure:

No, it’s quite easy. Took me 6 minutes the first time.
I don’t see how it would void a warranty on anything, the dealer wouldn’t even be able to see it. (I put the bolt covers back on)

No, it’s quite easy. Took me 6 minutes the first time.
I don’t see how it would void a warranty on anything, the dealer wouldn’t even be able to see it. (I put the bolt covers back on)
They most likely will never see , it will void warranty for safety issues ,(creating a leverage point with spacers )the seat mounting nut is laser tack welded on , extra leverage on that MAY or MAY NOT cause breakage during an accident or hard braking over time.

Like many others, I don't find the seating position to be comfortable. I'm young and in good shape, but my lower back would hurt after driving more than just a few minutes... (Not a problem I experienced in my '04 Dodge 2500 even with a crappy seat) I'm 6'0 and my legs are just too dang long to deal with a seat that low/close to the pedals. No support on my thighs/hips. I could slide all the way back, but then barely reach the steering wheel... lol.​
I found someone selling seat spacers... but I decided I didn't want to wait, so I went the ghetto route and stacked five 3/16" spacers underneath the rear seat rail bolts (You have to get longer bolts- M10x1.25x50mm). All in all, it cost me around $10 and 5 minutes of "labor", lol. It made a world of a difference and I'm much more eager to take my truck on road trips now! No more back pain.
After living with this setup for a few thousand miles I think I may even add one or two more spacers for a slight height increase.​
Would like to give this a try ,,,,but why does putting spacers { underneath the rear seat rail bolts } help in lifting the driver seat? If you just put these on the rear bolts on the drivers seat doesn't that give a forward angle on the seat?

Would like to give this a try ,,,,but why does putting spacers { underneath the rear seat rail bolts } help in lifting the driver seat? If you just put these on the rear bolts on the drivers seat doesn't that give a forward angle on the seat?
I am in the same situation, I am still wanting to buy front seat jacks to add additional leg support.
I would assume adding to the rear would be the opposite effect.

This is genius! 👍👍

Don't you put these spacers on the front mounting bolts?

I am in the same situation, I am still wanting to buy front seat jacks to add additional leg support.
I would assume adding to the rear would be the opposite effect.

I went this route (Seatjackers) with concerns over maintaining shear strength in the event of impact due to loss the of the mounting surface contact. I did both seats.

I used the rear kit and split it up to provide the half what the front was on the rear both seats. To do so you need to purchase to additional bolts from a hardware store.

Much improved comfort on long rides and increased viability over the hood.

SeatJackers for the front ..WORTH the COST!!!
Using longer bolts and washers...rears...made mine 1inch rears , for both driver and passenger seats...so much comfortable to drive anywhere!
5 feet six without the shoes...
My daughter is 5 feet tall or short...can now see over her rear view mirror (driver side) when looking forward
Best MOD ..ever!
Aloha

Back