TUTORIAL Seat height "mod".

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Professional Asian

= II • Bronze
First Name
Andrew
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#1,722
[Long story short.... If your back hurts from the seat, try this!]​
If you think this is unsafe or stupid, no need to let me know. I get it.
Like many others, I don't find the seating position to be comfortable. I'm young and in good shape, but my lower back would hurt after driving more than just a few minutes... (Not a problem I experienced in my '04 Dodge 2500 even with a crappy seat) I'm 6'0 and my legs are just too dang long to deal with a seat that low/close to the pedals. No support on my thighs/hips. I could slide all the way back, but then barely reach the steering wheel... lol.​
I found someone selling seat spacers... but I decided I didn't want to wait, so I went the ghetto route and stacked five 3/16" spacers underneath the rear seat rail bolts (You have to get longer bolts- M10x1.25x50mm). All in all, it cost me around $10 and 5 minutes of "labor", lol. It made a world of a difference and I'm much more eager to take my truck on road trips now! No more back pain.
After living with this setup for a few thousand miles I think I may even add one or two more spacers for a slight height increase.​
Hope this helps someone!​

Last edited:

hallux

= IV • Gold
First Name
Das Big Toe
T3G Member
#1,649
This is interesting... lately I've been battling some serious back pain issues (stemmed from poor weightlifting form) and I saw the spacers too but I said "I'm 6'2... if the damn seat gets any taller my heads going to hit the room"... but maybe I should give this a go?

Professional Asian

= II • Bronze
First Name
Andrew
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#1,722
This is interesting... lately I've been battling some serious back pain issues (stemmed from poor weightlifting form) and I saw the spacers too but I said "I'm 6'2... if the damn seat gets any taller my heads going to hit the room"... but maybe I should give this a go?

I would try washers before a spacer, there's more adjustability. Being 6'0, my head is still seems pretty far from the roof. Stack some washers to 3/4 of an inch and see how that suits you! The higher you go, the more difference it'll make on your legs, but obviously you don't wanna be rubbing your head on the roof lol

hallux

= IV • Gold
First Name
Das Big Toe
T3G Member
#1,649
I would try washers before a spacer, there's more adjustability. Being 6'0, my head is still seems pretty far from the roof. Stack some washers to 3/4 of an inch and see how that suits you! The higher you go, the more difference it'll make on your legs, but obviously you don't wanna be rubbing your head on the roof lol
Is it a pain in the dick to do the mod also I assume it voids the warranty? :unsure:

Professional Asian

= II • Bronze
First Name
Andrew
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#1,722
No, it’s quite easy. Took me 6 minutes the first time.
I don’t see how it would void a warranty on anything, the dealer wouldn’t even be able to see it. (I put the bolt covers back on)

ShikyoX

= VI • Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Trevor
T3G Member
No, it’s quite easy. Took me 6 minutes the first time.
I don’t see how it would void a warranty on anything, the dealer wouldn’t even be able to see it. (I put the bolt covers back on)
They most likely will never see , it will void warranty for safety issues ,(creating a leverage point with spacers )the seat mounting nut is laser tack welded on , extra leverage on that MAY or MAY NOT cause breakage during an accident or hard braking over time.

Top Bottom