• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rotopax in bed all the time

JamesR913

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Cement
Does anyone keep a rotopax installed all the time? Do you keep it full?

I have a retrax cover and MOLLE panels on both sides of the bed and was thinking about keeping a rotopax installed and full all the time after see the issues in VA recently.

I keep mine empty and off the truck unless I'm heading out for a few days exploring. Im not sure I want to or need to carry gas around. I always fill up at 1/2 tank. Living in Ca, earthquake country, I make sure to have enough to get home and then some. I do have 2, 5 gal metal cans also and one is filled and rotated every 3 months to keep it fresh. I use a 4 gal Rotopax mounted up on my rack when going off road for a long distance.

If im daily driving I usually dont carry spare gas around with me. I mainly just use it for trips when I know I'll need it, if I dont use it on that trip then I just dump it in the tank at the end and fill it up next time I go on a trip.

I feel like those would get stolen off my truck instantly where I live.

Does anyone keep a rotopax installed all the time? Do you keep it full?

I have a retrax cover and MOLLE panels on both sides of the bed and was thinking about keeping a rotopax installed and full all the time after see the issues in VA recently.
I keep two on the bumper. At first I assumed they would be inevitably stolen at some point. They’ve been on there for around 3 years now so I don’t really think much into the theft part anymore. I don’t keep gas in them unless I’m traveling. And when I am traveling, they’re pretty much necessary. They’ve saved me quite a few times.

If/when they do get stolen (lol), it was fun while it lasted!

F9DEE879-36D0-4607-9356-64DD6128CBAD.jpeg

Dang haven't posted in a while. I leave my water and gas pax off. No need to haul around empty or full load. I use to carry gas all the time just to help people that run out... fyi change out your gas every 6 months.

Back