• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Remote tailgate locking system

Poppybux

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
I just purchased my 2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 last month and didn't notice that the tailgate had to be locked and unlocked by a key. So I called the dealership and asked if a remote tailgate lock could be installed, they said Toyota does'nt offer that. Just this week I found the attached video showing their is one out there. Has anyone in this group installed this option? I do have a bed cover.

Cool. Is there a wiring harness for that or do you have to patch into one of the front doors?

I have to ask. what is so hard about using the key?
I guess that would be a matter of opinion, but if you knew my wife and she does use the truck from time to time and never remembers to lock the tailgate (we have a bedcover), when she locks the truck the tailgate will be locked as well

I just installed the toyota tailgate lock kit and it is flawless. I'm not sure why dealerships seem to always tell people that kits or parts are not made, when toyota's part search will tell you it fits.

I just installed the toyota tailgate lock kit and it is flawless. I'm not sure why dealerships seem to always tell people that kits or parts are not made, when toyota's part search will tell you it fits.
Exactly, my dealership parts dept and service said Toyota doesn't make this product but it would be a good idea.

I have a topper so I get into it a lot. Key the tailgate, key the topper. Again and again and again. But what is so hard about using the key on any of the doors? The rest of the truck is set up so we don't have to touch the key most of the time.

I have a topper so I get into it a lot. Key the tailgate, key the topper. Again and again and again. But what is so hard about using the key on any of the doors? The rest of the truck is set up so we don't have to touch the key most of the time.
As I mentioned on an earlier reply, it is a mater of opinion. I do like the convenience of the remote working all the locks including the tailgate and it makes me feel safer when my wife drives the truck knowing she will always lock the doors but not the tailgate.

Got delivery of the Toyota Remote locking system for my tailgate in yesterday and within an hour had it installed, easy plug & play. Now want have to have that conversation with my wife to remember to relock the tailgate while she is out shopping. See the link if interested:https:
//www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZL2WCLD/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Both your salesman and the employee in the parts department should find another line of work, as they are obviously not interested in knowing their job. The electric tailgate lock is clearly listed as an option on the Toyota website when building and pricing. It is common knowledge that this option exists and they should have known it.

it’s a very easy install. 1 hour most
I bought it when it first came out works perfect

It’s not hard to use the key. What’s nice about this is if you have a cover when you get out and lock your doors, now the tailgate will lock also. If you don’t have a cover I guess it really doesn’t matter.

It’s not hard to use the key. What’s nice about this is if you have a cover when you get out and lock your doors, now the tailgate will lock also. If you don’t have a cover I guess it really doesn’t matter.
Exactly why I installed it, I have a cover and I do t have to worry if my wife would remember to lock the tailgate.

I installed the amazon one as well and it works great. When it craps the bed, I am going with this one: Tailgate Lock - 3rd Gen Tacoma (2016-2021) This one from Runnin4Tacos is upgraded to work quieter and seems like really good quality.

The Toyota genuine kit is the way to go. Just got mine and installed this past weekend. Comes with the rubber body plug that goes under passangers seat already on the wiring. Pretty easy install. The running for tacos kit is ok, but you have to make a hole in the body plug and the wire holders back at tailgate. So I prefer the oem kit.

I have the OEM kit for a year
works perfect and easy install

I am considering purchasing this one because we have 2 tacomas in the family. both with bed covers. one is a 2016 and the original popnlock was installed 2.5 years ago and the bracket has chipped so it misses 1 out of 3 times. (see image, bottom square tab corner is chipped.) glad that popnlock redesigned it but wish there was a way to replace the bracket.

Attachments

• 20210415_165232.jpg
    20210415_165232.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 65
I personally never keep the key on my, just the keyless fob so this makes sense to me. I hate keeping several keys in my pocket. As he said, probably just opinion especially if you keep a cover and have stuff hidden underneath there is piece of mind that it will be locked all the time.

I have a hard cover and keep my work gear in the truck bed all the time. If i didnt have the remote lock then I would be taking my key out literally only to open the tailgate. Makes it much more convenient.

Back