• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Regear, or not to regear

If you did regear? What would you do and tell us why below!!!

Votes: 17 38.6%

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • I'd swapped the manual transmission 4.30's in because I'm crazy like that.

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
If you’re staying under 35’s-37’s go 4.88
I don't know if the question has been asked but say you have 33's and 5.29's because you plan on adding armor and bumpers in the distant future and maybe even 35's. Are there any drawbacks to driving around on 5.29's for an extended period of time on 33's and not much else while waiting to go bigger?

I don't know if the question has been asked but say you have 33's and 5.29's because you plan on adding armor and bumpers in the distant future and maybe even 35's. Are there any drawbacks to driving around on 5.29's for an extended period of time on 33's and not much else while waiting to go bigger?

Not really. It's just going to be higher in the RPMs sooner. It's not the end of the world either. I don't have a need to do over 100 mph so I really don't care that the truck tops out. I rarely hit high 80's. I run 33's and 5.29s but I also have weight.

The other thing is you might peel out a bit more due to the increased torque and no weight on the back end.

I sent Nitro an email asking what gears they thought I should go with. I explained that I would be stock except for suspension and 33's for a while then adding more weight via armor and bumpers. Their response was simply, "if it is automatic just go 5.29."

That's what Ive been hearing too.
If you think you will stay with 33s I'd still go 4.88
We've got some parts of utah where the speed limit is 80.
I sent Nitro an email asking what gears they thought I should go with. I explained that I would be stock except for suspension and 33's for a while then adding more weight via armor and bumpers. Their response was simply, "if it is automatic just go 5.29."

I ordered 5.29s from NitroGears and they should in by the end of the month. I called Nitro and they at first suggested 4.88s but after I explained that I have a steel front bumper, winch, roof rack, decked system, bedrack, tent, they said 5.29s were the correct choice. I will let you know how well the regearing works out after they are installed.
The problem with regearing, as I discovered after the fact, my Tacoma maxes out at 83 mph now that I regeared. Here is the answer I got after the fact.
The gears spoof your ECU into thinking you are going the 116 mph set by Toyota as the speed limiter. No fix as yet. 5.29’s will work with all sized tires.
Randell “Scott” Osborn
Differential Expert, Inside Sales

JT’s Parts & Accessories | Nitro Gear & Axle
Direct 509-243-6188 or 866.349.6801 x122
www.facebook.com/jdifferentials
Scott@justdifferentials.com

The problem with regearing, as I discovered after the fact, my Tacoma maxes out at 83 mph now that I regeared. Here is the answer I got after the fact.
The gears spoof your ECU into thinking you are going the 116 mph set by Toyota as the speed limiter. No fix as yet. 5.29’s will work with all sized tires.
Randell “Scott” Osborn
Differential Expert, Inside Sales

JT’s Parts & Accessories | Nitro Gear & Axle
Direct 509-243-6188 or 866.349.6801 x122
www.facebook.com/jdifferentials
Scott@justdifferentials.com
Interesting you mention this. Wouldn't a professional tune or OVTune solve this problem to tell the ECU hey this truck is using 5.29's not stock?

Interesting you mention this. Wouldn't a professional tune or OVTune solve this problem to tell the ECU hey this truck is using 5.29's not stock?
You can do exactly that with OVtune. The truck willed out at 85 but the tune can adjust it back to normal.

There is a shop in Monroe, CT that can handle it. Rob's Auto. I haven't gotten into detailed discussion with the owner about labor cost to re-gear. They just completed my lift for me. (pics attached)

I sent an email to nitro gears and they suggested going 4.88 actually with my current setup. Now I have to really ponder because I was leaning 5.29.....smh
What size tires are those?

I'm now running 5.29s with 295, and a mix of aluminum and steel armor in the 2021. I like it. OvTune, so I haven't seen the speed limit issue.

Back