• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rear Leaf Suggestions

Okay, trying to nail down a leaf spring rating and adding up some weights. So far, constantly on the truck - Bed Rack and Full size spare at no more than 150 lbs. RTT + camping gear will add another 250 lbs maybe? Since I'm on pavement 90% of the time, would I be better off going for a lower leaf spring rating, like 300-400 rating, or just bite the bullet and get a 600 lb?

Am I going to hold up okay going with a 300-400 lb rating during full load out if I'm closer to say.... 500 lbs of weight?

If I go to a 300-400 lb rating, do I even need an upgrade there or should I just stick with the stock leaf springs?

Okay, trying to nail down a leaf spring rating and adding up some weights. So far, constantly on the truck - Bed Rack and Full size spare at no more than 150 lbs. RTT + camping gear will add another 250 lbs maybe? Since I'm on pavement 90% of the time, would I be better off going for a lower leaf spring rating, like 300-400 rating, or just bite the bullet and get a 600 lb?

Am I going to hold up okay going with a 300-400 lb rating during full load out if I'm closer to say.... 500 lbs of weight?

If I go to a 300-400 lb rating, do I even need an upgrade there or should I just stick with the stock leaf springs?

I think you need to upgrade the leaf pack in some way, the stock spring rate is good for an unloaded truck (typical for Toyota), so if you add 400lbs, it will be low, and you'll be hitting the rear bumpstops continually and it will get old, especially with how hard the stock bumpstops are.

It sounds like you are ok being between stock unloaded height and 1" lift, so consider buying a 2 or 3" mild duty lift spring that with load of 400-500lbs with come down to 1 or 1.5".

On the other hand, if you really want a 3" lift, then consider something like Deaver U402 stage 2, which will be about 3" lift with 500-600 lbs

Last edited:
It sounds like you are ok being between stock unloaded height and 1" lift, so consider buying a 2 or 3" mild duty lift spring that with load of 400-500lbs with come down to 1 or 1.5".
Thanks for your input! I think I like this route... do you have a leaf spring pack that you recommend?

I have become well acquainted with the characteristics of the common Tacoma leaf packs on the market, since Archive has been making shackle hanger solutions for approaching 5 years now. Unfortunately, a lot of junk and bad engineering has been sold, many people are not aware of all the issues. Archive is in a unique position to have a lot of data coming in. Here's what my experience has caused my opinions to become:

AllPro: low quality import that is designed with narrower than stock junk bushings(!), with low arch, really long and often goes flat on a Double Cab with minimal weight. You will often see the shackle rotated way back. Also it doesn't have a spot to bolt the parking brake cable tab to. No overload

Alcan: Stupidly long design, requires Archive Hammer hangers to work properly, because with stock hangers, the leaves will rub the shackles, and has MAJOR design flaw that the 2nd leaf extends inside the shackle, which when driven offroad has caused dangerous binding, and shackle damage. No overload

Icon: This has been pretty decent I would say, but I have gotten some negative feedback, mainly its just underwhelming. No major design flaws, no shackle interference. Doesn't seem to be a very tough design, or enough lift. My biggest nitpick is they took a 10 leaf pack design, took a couple leaves out, and screwed up by making the stepping from leaf to leaf too wide, which seems like some customers report a lot of axle wrap, which exhibits as driveshaft vibration on take off and deceleration. Stage 1 and 2 are total of 7 thin leaves

Dobinsons: Newer but I like the design, it is affordable, and anyone considering an affordable option should investigate these. Has overload

Deavers: The U402 expo series is currently the best on the market, for now. With 3 stages to choose from. Note that the stage 2 & 3 have less arch due to being heavier duty. Has overload. The price is up there. (Don't buy their J66 lame wrap-central pack)

Archive: Archive Garage will be testing our own design leaf pack in the next few weeks. (Potentially available by summer) Archive set out to build a leaf spring that just plain works, high quality material, built in USA and has a full military wrap, bolted spring clips, tip inserts on all leave ends, correct bushing sleeve width. It will not have the issues like shackle scraping or jamming leaf into shackle, won't take an 'M' shape, isn't too long, issues which are so common. Archive test springs vs stock
20200401_170735.jpg

Dakars: Pretty lame design overall, doesn't have a full military wrap, and has MAJOR design flaw that the 2nd/3rd leaves extend inside the shackle, which when driven offroad causes awful noises, dangerous binding, and shackle damage. Numerous customers have complained, I have contacted them and explained the issue, and it seems they purposely have done nothing to avoid serious warranty burden. They were just plain lazy, took their Hilux design and tossed in the Tacoma, called it good. Has overload. Also very short spring. Pics of Dakar issues:
Thanks for this awesome breakdown, much appreciated. I ordered front and rear OME BP-51s and I’m going to be pairing them with Deavers U402 stage 3 leaf springs just have to wait a week or two since they’re back ordered. To say I’m excited to stop bottoming out would be a huge understatement.

I currently have the Dakar HD leaf pack with add-a-leaf. I love it no squeaks after 30k miles. The ride feels great matched with my BP-51s.

That being said I am going to be switching to an Alcan leaf pack. Alcan Spring • Custom Leaf Springs • Handmade in the USA I am switching to this because they do custom leaf packs to the weight and lift height you want. So I went to the scales and weighed myself on full load (my truck travels packed 90% of the time) also weighed myself with my trailer gave them the numbers and bam custom leaf pack fit to my ride. You would be amazed at how fast we get heavy with mods. Steel front to back and HC bumper tire swing situation, cap racks drawers the whole 9 and the Dakar HD leaf is almost not enough when hitting some good bumps.

Edit: wow just saw the post from @ARCHIVE after writing my post. Is that still true about alcan? I have not pulled the trigger 100% (ie paid). reading that blew my mind I had not seen that about them anywhere else

I currently have the Dakar HD leaf pack with add-a-leaf. I love it no squeaks after 30k miles. The ride feels great matched with my BP-51s.

That being said I am going to be switching to an Alcan leaf pack. Alcan Spring • Custom Leaf Springs • Handmade in the USA I am switching to this because they do custom leaf packs to the weight and lift height you want. So I went to the scales and weighed myself on full load (my truck travels packed 90% of the time) also weighed myself with my trailer gave them the numbers and bam custom leaf pack fit to my ride. You would be amazed at how fast we get heavy with mods. Steel front to back and HC bumper tire swing situation, cap racks drawers the whole 9 and the Dakar HD leaf is almost not enough when hitting some good bumps.

Edit: wow just saw the post from @ARCHIVE after writing my post. Is that still true about alcan? I have not pulled the trigger 100% (ie paid). reading that blew my mind I had not seen that about them anywhere else

I don't know if Alcan has adjusted their 2nd leaf length, but it is possible TAV may have pushed Alcan to improve their design, since TAV had some issues with them and I discussed with TAV

Back