• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rear Leaf Suggestions

Gstavy1

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Hey guys, so I've noticed my rear leaf has started to go flatter, looking into either an Add-a-leaf or going for a whole new set. Have had my eyes on doing an Icon AAL or their RXT leaf pack. What do you guys think, anything better that I should be looking into?
8EDBC8BF-FA7E-4B3A-B897-A503448A6D9E.JPG

We sell both the AAL, along with the RXT!

Both applications have been fantastic, we would personally recommend the RXT if you would like to replace the leafpack overall. Especially if you are considering on hauling some constant weight. The add a leaf builds upon the stock toyota leafpack.

Can’t go wrong with icon, the Dakar is a good pack but prone to getting super squeaky, I just deal with it. I started with an add a leaf but with just the weight of a cap it was just level and anything in the bed when I went camping made it sag to all hell! If you’re gonna haul any weight go with the full leaf pack for sure, I’m at the point where I need to add air bags.

Depending on the route of your build, such as if you'll be adding on a lot of weight to the rear, you may want to look into the stage 2 RXT setup from ICON. It has the option for an extra leaf as well if you start getting super heavy. I left mine out because I have no weight back there, for now. Adjustable reservoir for fine tuning between hard and soft.
I went testing this weekend and loved it! Check out my build thread I just started if you want some more details!

If you are willing, and knowledgeable enough, to tear open the leaf pack, id say find another set of factory leaf springs (cheap) and build your own pack. will let you alter a lot of different things and fine tune to your needs. A little time and you can be into a set up tailored to you for under $200 pretty easily.

I spent quite a bit of time researching mine. In fact ended up changing my entire front end setup about a week before install. We have deaver on the race truck and LOVE them! Great company as well, so many options out there. Good luck, and can't wait to see the progression of your ride.

I wouldnt go with the dakar leaf pack...ive been running it for a year and its just not a good system, just not progressive enough, and they squeak a ton no matter how much maintenance you do :p

Check out deaver! I know a lot of guys that run them on the dunes that love them. Ill be going SUA next year with deavers. If you paired deavers with archive garage's shackle carriers then that would be a really nice setup!

I wouldnt go with the dakar leaf pack...ive been running it for a year and its just not a good system, just not progressive enough, and they squeak a ton no matter how much maintenance you do :p

Check out deaver! I know a lot of guys that run them on the dunes that love them. Ill be going SUA next year with deavers. If you paired deavers with archive garage's shackle carriers then that would be a really nice setup!
I agree about the Dakars. When I first installed them they gave me a lot more height than I expected which was a good thing. They have held up over tons of abuse and added weight and besides the added weight, have only naturally flattened out a little bit. However, the inevitable squeaking is enough for me to say just look elsewhere. It is extremely annoying and a little bit embarrassing. People in other cars can hear it when they are driving next to you.

Depending on the route of your build, such as if you'll be adding on a lot of weight to the rear, you may want to look into the stage 2 RXT setup from ICON. It has the option for an extra leaf as well if you start getting super heavy. I left mine out because I have no weight back there, for now. Adjustable reservoir for fine tuning between hard and soft.
I went testing this weekend and loved it! Check out my build thread I just started if you want some more details!
How do you like your leafs at the configuration they came in? Mine just showed up today and will be installing tomorrow. Debating on adding it on.

I have become well acquainted with the characteristics of the common Tacoma leaf packs on the market, since Archive has been making shackle hanger solutions for approaching 5 years now. Unfortunately, a lot of junk and bad engineering has been sold, many people are not aware of all the issues. Archive is in a unique position to have a lot of data coming in. Here's what my experience has caused my opinions to become:

AllPro: low quality import that is designed with narrower than stock junk bushings(!), with low arch, really long and often goes flat on a Double Cab with minimal weight. You will often see the shackle rotated way back. Also it doesn't have a spot to bolt the parking brake cable tab to. No overload

Alcan: Stupidly long design, requires Archive Hammer hangers to work properly, because with stock hangers, the leaves will rub the shackles, and has MAJOR design flaw that the 2nd leaf extends inside the shackle, which when driven offroad has caused dangerous binding, and shackle damage. No overload

Icon: This has been pretty decent I would say, but I have gotten some negative feedback, mainly its just underwhelming. No major design flaws, no shackle interference. Doesn't seem to be a very tough design, or enough lift. My biggest nitpick is they took a 10 leaf pack design, took a couple leaves out, and screwed up by making the stepping from leaf to leaf too wide, which seems like some customers report a lot of axle wrap, which exhibits as driveshaft vibration on take off and deceleration. Stage 1 and 2 are total of 7 thin leaves

Dobinsons: Newer but I like the design, it is affordable, and anyone considering an affordable option should investigate these. Has overload

Deavers: The U402 expo series is currently the best on the market, for now. With 3 stages to choose from. Note that the stage 2 & 3 have less arch due to being heavier duty. Has overload. The price is up there. (Don't buy their J66 lame wrap-central pack)

Archive: Archive Garage will be testing our own design leaf pack in the next few weeks. (Potentially available by summer) Archive set out to build a leaf spring that just plain works, high quality material, built in USA and has a full military wrap, bolted spring clips, tip inserts on all leave ends, correct bushing sleeve width. It will not have the issues like shackle scraping or jamming leaf into shackle, won't take an 'M' shape, isn't too long, issues which are so common. Archive test springs vs stock
20200401_170735.jpg

Dakars: Pretty lame design overall, doesn't have a full military wrap, and has MAJOR design flaw that the 2nd/3rd leaves extend inside the shackle, which when driven offroad causes awful noises, dangerous binding, and shackle damage. Numerous customers have complained, I have contacted them and explained the issue, and it seems they purposely have done nothing to avoid serious warranty burden. They were just plain lazy, took their Hilux design and tossed in the Tacoma, called it good. Has overload. Also very short spring. Pics of Dakar issues:

Attachments

• DakarHDstockhanger2.jpg
    DakarHDstockhanger2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 169
  • DakarStockHanger4Jeff.jpg
    DakarStockHanger4Jeff.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 219
  • DakarHDstockhanger1.jpg
    DakarHDstockhanger1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Can’t go wrong with icon, the Dakar is a good pack but prone to getting super squeaky, I just deal with it. I started with an add a leaf but with just the weight of a cap it was just level and anything in the bed when I went camping made it sag to all hell! If you’re gonna haul any weight go with the full leaf pack for sure, I’m at the point where I need to add air bags.
So Im in the same boat as this guy and the company Airliftcompany told me to do the airbags with onboard compressor. I have camper shell and a bed system and Im bottoming out often. Guy at shop says to do aal and airbags. guy at the airlift company says only airbags that add a leaf will fuck up airbags or something. so I don't know at this point totally confused. I would prefer just putting airbags in with compressor but maybe I don't understand what the airbags really do. any of your input and advice would be good. I like to haul a lot of camp gear also and i'm sick of bottoming out. thanks!

So Im in the same boat as this guy and the company Airliftcompany told me to do the airbags with onboard compressor. I have camper shell and a bed system and Im bottoming out often. Guy at shop says to do aal and airbags. guy at the airlift company says only airbags that add a leaf will fuck up airbags or something. so I don't know at this point totally confused. I would prefer just putting airbags in with compressor but maybe I don't understand what the airbags really do. any of your input and advice would be good. I like to haul a lot of camp gear also and i'm sick of bottoming out. thanks!
I'm not exactly sure how it's done but i have two friends with dakaar heavy duty leaf packs and add a leaf with firestone bags and some cradle that goes on a ubolt flip. I never did the research to far because I never got to a point where I'd be making a purchase anytime soon all I know is that it is doable lol.

I just put the RTX's on mine. It's a pretty easy install plus I like the flexibility of Lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight options in one package. So you can stiffen them up if you add weight to the rear end later.

One tip one the install, put the front bolt in first then align the locator pin on the axle. Then put the U bolts on and snug them up then connect the shackle. It should save some time.

I have become well acquainted with the characteristics of the common Tacoma leaf packs on the market, since Archive has been making shackle hanger solutions for approaching 5 years now. Unfortunately, a lot of junk and bad engineering has been sold, many people are not aware of all the issues. Archive is in a unique position to have a lot of data coming in. Here's what my experience has caused my opinions to become:

AllPro: low quality import that is designed with narrower than stock junk bushings(!), with low arch, really long and often goes flat on a Double Cab with minimal weight. You will often see the shackle rotated way back. Also it doesn't have a spot to bolt the parking brake cable tab to. No overload

Alcan: Stupidly long design, requires Archive Hammer hangers to work properly, because with stock hangers, the leaves will rub the shackles, and has MAJOR design flaw that the 2nd leaf extends inside the shackle, which when driven offroad has caused dangerous binding, and shackle damage. No overload

Icon: This has been pretty decent I would say, but I have gotten some negative feedback, mainly its just underwhelming. No major design flaws, no shackle interference. Doesn't seem to be a very tough design, or enough lift. My biggest nitpick is they took a 10 leaf pack design, took a couple leaves out, and screwed up by making the stepping from leaf to leaf too wide, which seems like some customers report a lot of axle wrap, which exhibits as driveshaft vibration on take off and deceleration. Stage 1 and 2 are total of 7 thin leaves

Dobinsons: Newer but I like the design, it is affordable, and anyone considering an affordable option should investigate these. Has overload

Deavers: The U402 expo series is currently the best on the market, for now. With 3 stages to choose from. Note that the stage 2 & 3 have less arch due to being heavier duty. Has overload. The price is up there. (Don't buy their J66 lame wrap-central pack)

Archive: Archive Garage will be testing our own design leaf pack in the next few weeks. (Potentially available by summer) Archive set out to build a leaf spring that just plain works, high quality material, built in USA and has a full military wrap, bolted spring clips, tip inserts on all leave ends, correct bushing sleeve width. It will not have the issues like shackle scraping or jamming leaf into shackle, won't take an 'M' shape, isn't too long, issues which are so common.

Dakars: Pretty lame design overall, doesn't have a full military wrap, and has MAJOR design flaw that the 2nd/3rd leaves extend inside the shackle, which when driven offroad causes awful noises, dangerous binding, and shackle damage. Numerous customers have complained, I have contacted them and explained the issue, and it seems they purposely have done nothing to avoid serious warranty burden. They were just plain lazy, took their Hilux design and tossed in the Tacoma, called it good. Has overload. Also very short spring. Pics of Dakar issues:

@Tyler

What can you say about the Dobinsonss leafs so far, it hasn't been too long since you put them on, but you did throw that huge awesome camper on the truck. How are they holding up?

Archive: Archive Garage will be testing our own design leaf pack in the next few weeks. (Potentially available by summer) Archive set out to build a leaf spring that just plain works, high quality material, built in USA and has a full military wrap, bolted spring clips, tip inserts on all leave ends, correct bushing sleeve width. It will not have the issues like shackle scraping or jamming leaf into shackle, won't take an 'M' shape, isn't too long, issues which are so common.

This is a fantastic post that I somehow missed. I think it should be in a sticky thread within our suspension forum.
@Tyler

What can you say about the Dobinsonss leafs so far, it hasn't been too long since you put them on, but you did throw that huge awesome camper on the truck. How are they holding up?
They are great. Even with the 800lb camper, they only went down around 1 to 1.5" but that still keeps the truck slightly higher in the rear, which is what I want. Obviously they're going to go down more when I start moving into the camper. They have started a very small squeak noise but it might be due to the fact that I greased the outside of the inner metal sleeve and not the inside where the bolts go. My mistake isn't a big deal; when I install my airbags I'm also going to install your greaseable shackle pins, so I will just fix it while I do that.

This is a fantastic post that I somehow missed. I think it should be in a sticky thread within our suspension forum.

They are great. Even with the 800lb camper, they only went down around 1 to 1.5" but that still keeps the truck slightly higher in the rear, which is what I want. Obviously they're going to go down more when I start moving into the camper. They have started a very small squeak noise but it might be due to the fact that I greased the outside of the inner metal sleeve and not the inside where the bolts go. My mistake isn't a big deal; when I install my airbags I'm also going to install your greaseable shackle pins, so I will just fix it while I do that.
Thats what we like to hear! Did you measure the hub to fender before the camper?

Hey guys. I'm kind of between the Icon RXT for adjustability or the Dobinsons... I'm not sure which way to go. I made a post outlining my suspension choosing (wife approved, haha 😅 Link to Post.), but in short, I won't have a fully loaded truck 90% of the time. Should I just go with the Icons? I sort of want to go with the Dobinsons but since I won't have a heavy constant weight in the back, will it keep my truck unleveled?

Hey guys. I'm kind of between the Icon RXT for adjustability or the Dobinsons... I'm not sure which way to go. I made a post outlining my suspension choosing (wife approved, haha 😅 Link to Post.), but in short, I won't have a fully loaded truck 90% of the time. Should I just go with the Icons? I sort of want to go with the Dobinsons but since I won't have a heavy constant weight in the back, will it keep my truck unleveled?

both brands are around 2" lift, but the RXT is customizable, but it is work
I personally like Dobinsons

both brands are around 2" lift, but the RXT is customizable, but it is work
I personally like Dobinsons
If I got with Dobinsons at a constant weight rate, will the rear sit a little higher than the front if I don't have the constant weight in the back? Constant weight for me for now would be a bed rack only.

If I got with Dobinsons at a constant weight rate, will the rear sit a little higher than the front if I don't have the constant weight in the back? Constant weight for me for now would be a bed rack only.
All depends what suspension you put up front. I like to have the rear sit a little higher in preparation for weight, plus it adds bump travel to rear suspension

All depends what suspension you put up front. I like to have the rear sit a little higher in preparation for weight, plus it adds bump travel to rear suspension
Gotcha. I plan on going with Accutuned Fox 2.5 shocks all around. I'm more inclined to go with a constant weight leaf spring and not mess with having to adjust the leaf springs.

Back