• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ramblin.Roots Offgrid Tiny-home Adventure Taco

RamblinRoots

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Hello fellow Taco nuts!

My name is Jake, I'm brand new to the forum and stoked to be here! I'm currently traveling full time and living out of my Taco adventure machine affectionately named Hazel. She's a 2017 DCLB Off-Road Tacoma with a flatbed conversion and a Four Wheel Camper Fleet flatbed on top. At this point I've spent over 600 nights in it, 30k+ miles throughout 9 states.
20191015_170929.jpg

The goal of this entire build was to be able to get out as far as possible, and live comfortably when I get there. I've never listed out everything that's been done to her, but I'll give it a shot.

Mod list:
Norweld Australia Aluminum Flatbed
2018 Four Wheel Camper Fleet Flatbed
ARB single air compressor
Method wheels (I cant recall the name of them)
285/75/16 BFG Ko2's
OME BP-51's all around
OME 096 leaf pack + add a leaf
Airbags with Daystar Cradles
SPC UCA's
Dobinsons Snorkel
TRD pro grill
Headlight Revolution Headlights
Custom Back Seat Delete w/ custom storage system
Dynamat in the cab
Spotter Mirrors
New Reverse Camera

Camper Specific Specs:
2018 Fleet Flatbed FWC
20 gallon Fresh Water Tank
2x 10 gallon Propane Tanks
6 gallon Hot Water Heater
Propane Furnace
Inside/Outside shower
Cassete Toilet System (this has been removed)
160 watt Solar system with 2 AGM house batteries (in the process up upgrading to a 450 watt + 2 Battleborn Lithuim Batteries Solar System)
Flush mount Sink
Flush mount stove top
Isothetm 12v Fridge/freezer

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of small mods here and there, but that's the core of the build and I'm pretty happy with it.

Here's a (somewhat outdated) interior shot of the camper:
IMG_20190915_184214_861.jpg
IMG_20190915_184214_862.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about my rig! I'm sure I'm leaving out a ton!

Awesome! Again, welcome to the forum, and I’m glad you’re here. Your IG has been inspirational to my wife and I as we will be doing the same thing when we pick up our FWC in March.

Have you hit Alaska yet? Do you plan on ever going to South America? Is there anything I should know about the FWC that isn’t immediately obvious? The one we ordered has no options besides two ceiling vents and the thermal pack. Other than that, we will be building the interior ourselves.

Thanks a ton! I used to be very anti social media and only created one to hopefully inspire others! That's awesome to hear its inspired you a bit!

Alaska will hopefully happen this coming spring and summer! Eventually I would love to make it all the way down to Patagonia, then ship the truck to Africa and do an entire lap around the world. But I've got quite a few hurdles before that dream becomes a reality.

As far as FWC go I cant think of anything off the top of my head. The biggest thing is you will have to become super weight conscious, all the little things add up a ton. They are great campers that are built very well. The thermal pack is a great choice, good in the hot and cold. The vents are a great choice too, I only have 1 powered and 1 not right now, I'm most likely going to upgrade to both powered. I'm not super familiar with the shell models and what they come with, but if your going to build it our yourself that will be super awesome to see! They are a great platform to build into, if they offered a flatbed shell I would of done the same!

Thanks a ton! I used to be very anti social media and only created one to hopefully inspire others! That's awesome to hear its inspired you a bit!

Alaska will hopefully happen this coming spring and summer! Eventually I would love to make it all the way down to Patagonia, then ship the truck to Africa and do an entire lap around the world. But I've got quite a few hurdles before that dream becomes a reality.

As far as FWC go I cant think of anything off the top of my head. The biggest thing is you will have to become super weight conscious, all the little things add up a ton. They are great campers that are built very well. The thermal pack is a great choice, good in the hot and cold. The vents are a great choice too, I only have 1 powered and 1 not right now, I'm most likely going to upgrade to both powered. I'm not super familiar with the shell models and what they come with, but if your going to build it our yourself that will be super awesome to see! They are a great platform to build into, if they offered a flatbed shell I would of done the same!
Awesome, thanks!

I too have the ultimate goal of taking it around the world. North America will basically be my shake-down run.

The FWC itself is a lot of weight and I already have steel bumpers and 35” tires, so weight will be an issue for me. I am planning on doing everything I can to upgrade the truck to accommodate the weight.

Sorry to hijack your thread!

Awesome, thanks!

I too have the ultimate goal of taking it around the world. North America will basically be my shake-down run.

The FWC itself is a lot of weight and I already have steel bumpers and 35” tires, so weight will be an issue for me. I am planning on doing everything I can to upgrade the truck to accommodate the weight.

Sorry to hijack your thread!
Hell yeah! Would be awesome to meet up out on the road someday! The good thing you got going is the shell model, you'll be able to save alot of weight by building it to your exact needs! I'd advise questioning every pound you put in it, I recently was able to shed almost 250 lbs from my rig in all sorts of random crap I didnt really need!

Back