• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Questions to ask shop to do lift kit

Jetspeed

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
As a newbie and inexperienced I'm wondering if anyone has some good questions I should be asking shops before selecting said shop to do my lift kit.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

See if they’ll do a cab mount chop at the same time.

Upvote 0
See if they’ll do a cab mount chop at the same time.
I definitely will. I've heard different things here about a CMC with respect to affecting the trucks overall front impact rating. Is there a "right" way to do this CMC without affecting the impact safety?

Upvote 0
I haven’t heard anything about it affecting anything. All it is is the removal of some metal that surrounds the cab mount bushing.

Upvote 0
I haven’t heard anything about it affecting anything. All it is is the removal of some metal that surrounds the cab mount bushing.
Okay, thanks. I don't know much. I just read somewhere on here about the CMC affecting front impact safety. I'm sure it has to do with how this is done. Ugh.....so much to learn.

Upvote 0
The cab mount sticks out and forward as much as it does to stop the front tire/wheel from getting pushed into the footwell in a frontal crash. Cut the mount and remember not to crash. At least in the front, crash the other sides all you want...... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The cab mount sticks out and forward as much as it does to stop the front tire/wheel from getting pushed into the footwell in a frontal crash. Cut the mount and remember not to crash. At least in the front, crash the other sides all you want...... :rolleyes:
Hmmmm.....not as daring and reckless as I used to be. Call me old and more careful these days. Has anyone heard of a safe way to do make more room with the cab mount? I've glossed over something about a cab mount relocation but didn't read about it. Does this retain front impact protection?

Upvote 0
I doubt a CMC will prevent it from doing that, relocating it will.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm.....not as daring and reckless as I used to be. Call me old and more careful these days. Has anyone heard of a safe way to do make more room with the cab mount? I've glossed over something about a cab mount relocation but didn't read about it. Does this retain front impact protection?
No it won’t. Only way to retain the factory crash safety is to keep it factory. A cmc will still stop the wheel in the event of a crash. 98% of us won’t need to relocate the cab mount to fit the tires we want. A cmc will be plenty. And depending on the tire size and your caster you might not even need to do a cmc

Upvote 0
No it won’t. Only way to retain the factory crash safety is to keep it factory. A cmc will still stop the wheel in the event of a crash. 98% of us won’t need to relocate the cab mount to fit the tires we want. A cmc will be plenty. And depending on the tire size and your caster you might not even need to do a cmc
Thanks for the reply, good info. I'm planning an ICON stage 10 suspension lift with billet UCA's on 285/70R/17 so I'm thinking if anything I'll just need a CMC if that.

Upvote 0
Back