• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Protect Your 3rd GEN Taco Rear Bumper

Taco-Loco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 Sport DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hello fellow Taco owners: I would like to share a tip on protecting your Taco "Rear Bumper" from drivers who are often distracted or engage in "Texting" and driving. First, please note that I DON'T work for any manufacture or sales outlet. I'm just another Taco owner who wants to share a tip with the members

I just purchased a 3rd Gen. Taco TRD Sport to replace my 2004 Taco RS5. Building on lessons learned, I installed a Rhino Step Bar on my hitch. This step bar is about 32" long and has saved my 2004 Taco from no less than three rear end hits from distracted drivers. Considering the potential extent of a rear end hit, the $90.00 - $115.00 cost, via Amazon.com (depending on which model you pick) pays for itself on the first hit/bump from another driver. I can say that in every occasion, there was absolutely NO damage to my Taco. The damage was all contained within the step bar. I look under the truck and all around and found NO damaged each time. The other vehicle however sustained grill damaged. I'm sold on the hitch step bar, not the small 12" model but rather the longer 32" or more model.

I took the old hitch step bar and installed on my new Taco. I will post some pictures at a later date as I become more familiar with the posting process. I'm attaching a cut/paste picture from Amazon to illustrate the hitch step bar.

Although some folks may not like adding a step bar on the hitch, I can happy say that my Toco rear bumper has been saved from distracted drivers multiple times. For me, it has been worth every penning. NOTE: It is highly likely that a side hit will not protect your bumper. The hitch step bar mainly protects from straight rear end hits.

See the attached hitch step picture... Note: There are several models and designs. I like to longer design which affords greater protection. Hopefully, no member will have to experience a rear hit to their Taco..... But if it happens, having the hitch step bar install could save you lot of $$$$$$$ in repairs and not to mention your automatic membership to the "Car Fax" list.

I hope this tip helps some Taco owner who may be as "anal" as I am about my Taco Truck. If you decide to get one of these step bars, don't forget to purchase a "Pin Lock" to prevent easy removal.

Excellent info. It is a smart idea. I have done the same with every vehicle. I have always kept a ball in the hitch to prevent those low speed taps.

There is someone else who makes one that doubles as a recovery attachment (triangles shape, cannot remember manufacture)

There’s nothing wrong with it daily driving, but offroad definitely take it off lol

You are so right.... Definitely not for off road usage :). I live in a large metro area with the worst drivers. Thanks for your feedback.

You are so right.... Definitely not for off road usage :). I live in a large metro area with the worst drivers. Thanks for your feedback.

Oh same here. The other cars around here apparently didn’t come with blinkers standard. The drivers suck.

Good tip for anyone tbh. Keep something back there to protect your rear ?

Next on My Taco Mod List: Just ordered the Tyger step bars for my 2019 Taco TRD Sport. I like the way these bars extend out word. I've read that the out ward extension with the 17" wheel height protects your doors from dings. Apparently, if someone opens their vehicle door and comes in contact with your vehicle, the step bar prevents the ding from occurring.

I will post pictures once my MODs are complete.

Excellent Guys, Wow, love that beaverStep!!! Looks great! I can say we are ready in the event of a mishap. I honestly feel much better knowing that the hitch step is there to help mitigate potential damage! Thanks for sharing your ideas as well.

Back