• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Power Steering Making a Winding Sound

H3llRid3r

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
My power steering is starting to make a howling sound when turning. I assume the pump is going bad?

I’m sitting around 40k miles, which seems a little early, but I’m modified with larger tires, so clearly that doesn’t help.

If it ends being the pump or some other related issue, is there an after market solution that might hold up better, or just go the OEM route?

old used car trick I had to watch out for when buying cars for a dealership at an auto auction way back when: while the truck is running, get a bar of soap and rub it on the serpentine belt (which will "Saw" into the soap bar a little). That usually quiets down the screeching. It also diagnosis a belt that is wearing out, or a tensioner not set correctly.

It may bet your belt or belt tensioner, not the steering pump.

Upvote 0
My current thinking is the drivers side tie rod. The noise was less dramatic today. I lifted the truck and turned the wheel with zero noise.

Upvote 0
Back