• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pedal Commander

Eagle1912

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2022 SR5 DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Looking to improve towing experience with my 2022 Tacoma and want to understand the PC. Right now, under aggressive acceleration it gets a surge of power when the rpms reach a certain point. Is the purpose of the PC to eliminate the delay it getting that power? I am thinking that, when towing, having that power earlier in the rpm range would make for a better towing experience. Am I on the right track with this?

I ran one in my jeep and really liked it. I've been considering it for the Tacoma as well but haven't seen enough positive feedback on it to drop the $300

Pedal Commanders are a joke. Put that money towards a tune. Does so much more for the truck and makes it better to drive in every way.

For a little more pay for a good tune.

Pedal Commander only makes the truck think the pedal is being pressed harder/soft/slower/faster.

Tune can make those adjustments while also fine tuning the trucks map to optimize every area of how it runs.

Are there warranty issues with tuning your 3.5?

No. Flashing any VFTuner Tune is undetectable. The only time there could be a warranty issue is if you flash it wrong and brick the ECU. It can be recovered. But if it has to go to the dealership. If you go through a local tuner, you'll be fine.

Haven't heard of any being denied warranty from the tune or a dealership finding it. The only way they would know is if you tell them.

I looked into both tunes and pedeal commander. Depending on your state a tune will not pass smog. Unless you have a tuner that will reflash back to factory for testing then flash it again for free it could either not pass smog or get exensive.

I decided for Pedal commander. Installation was simple with one exception. Getting my 70 yo body under the dash was a bit of a challenge. Otherwise it was just undo one plug, connect two plugs and mount the unit. I drove a few block and did notice a better accelerator response in "city". Time will tell what my favorite mode is and how it stacks up to stock.

I looked into both tunes and pedeal commander. Depending on your state a tune will not pass smog. Unless you have a tuner that will reflash back to factory for testing then flash it again for free it could either not pass smog or get exensive.

I decided for Pedal commander. Installation was simple with one exception. Getting my 70 yo body under the dash was a bit of a challenge. Otherwise it was just undo one plug, connect two plugs and mount the unit. I drove a few block and did notice a better accelerator response in "city". Time will tell what my favorite mode is and how it stacks up to stock.
Do you have proof of the smog claim? I've yet to see a post where anyone did not pass emissions due to a tune that Toyota cannot even detect.

Proof? Well, I've spoken the the fellow that has been smogging my vehicles here in California for the last 15 years. He says it falls under the rules that don't allow modification of anything effecting the emissions system. And the throttle certainly does effect that system. Maybe some states aren't as strict. But other than finding someone to falsify your smog test, you're out of luck.

Proof? Well, I've spoken the the fellow that has been smogging my vehicles here in California for the last 15 years. He says it falls under the rules that don't allow modification of anything effecting the emissions system. And the throttle certainly does effect that system. Maybe some states aren't as strict. But other than finding someone to falsify your smog test, you're out of luck.
Proof.. as in someone that actually failed due to having their truck tuned. I've yet to see it actually happening. This is just speculation at time.

Ok, if you say so. I just trust the guy doing my smogs. He has no skin in the game unless they could pull his ticket for passing modified vehicles. And they do perform stings on smog shops here.

Ok, if you say so. I just trust the guy doing my smogs. He has no skin in the game unless they could pull his ticket for passing modified vehicles. And they do perform stings on smog shops here.
You can't fail smog or anything with a VFTuner Tune. Dealerships don't even notice it.
It has never denied a warranty claim.
Sounds like your smog guy is basing things off his experience then generalizing all vehicles.
Yes, there's a lot of tunes and modifications that will fail a smog test due to increase of bad exhaust.

But all of the tunes available to Tacomas without F/I is smog safe.

He's not adapting and learning with advancements in tunes. VFTuner flashes can't be detected.
It's understanding what the tune actually does. These tunes change shift points and may try for more power during driving.

Smog tests are at idle... think about it.

The only way is for you to openly disclose it's flashed. Even then, the test won't notice a difference.
It would just be a cautious or by the book inspector thought would fail the vehicle.

If anything a VFTuner tuned vehicles would have better smog results.

Smog tests are done at idle for excess and harmful pollutants.
Tunes will smooth idle out. Smog will read higher when factory idle is jumping around.

You can't fail smog or anything with a VFTuner Tune. Dealerships don't even notice it.
It has never denied a warranty claim.
Sounds like your smog guy is basing things off his experience then generalizing all vehicles.
Yes, there's a lot of tunes and modifications that will fail a smog test due to increase of bad exhaust.

But all of the tunes available to Tacomas without F/I is smog safe.

He's not adapting and learning with advancements in tunes. VFTuner flashes can't be detected.
It's understanding what the tune actually does. These tunes change shift points and may try for more power during driving.

Smog tests are at idle... think about it.

The only way is for you to openly disclose it's flashed. Even then, the test won't notice a difference.
It would just be a cautious or by the book inspector thought would fail the vehicle.

If anything a VFTuner tuned vehicles would have better smog results.

Smog tests are done at idle for excess and harmful pollutants.
Tunes will smooth idle out. Smog will read higher when factory idle is jumping around.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Back