• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

PCS sensor recall

So Lithia Toyota performs the recall no problems. but then today I got driving and the sensor wasn’t working and did not read the car in front of me. So back to the dealer on Tuesday again. FYI recalibration costs $240

So Lithia Toyota performs the recall no problems. but then today I got driving and the sensor wasn’t working and did not read the car in front of me. So back to the dealer on Tuesday again. FYI recalibration costs $240

I got into a sort of pissing competition w/ my dealer recently. They advertise installing of a Ready Lift, no larger then 2.5" and it won't void your warranty because it's installed by a dealer. Well they said it wouldn't void my warranty but won't do the recall....

So guess what I did? I went to a different dealer and they ordered me TOYOTA TRD pro PCS and had TOYOTA pay for it and installed/ calibrated it! With my TRD pro grill leveling kit and the 285/75/17 tires!
That's dope. Congrats on eventually having it work out well.

I got into a sort of pissing competition w/ my dealer recently. They advertise installing of a Ready Lift, no larger then 2.5" and it won't void your warranty because it's installed by a dealer. Well they said it wouldn't void my warranty but won't do the recall....
My suggestion is find another dealer. I’ve discovered the smaller dealers will do it

Hey guys I'm going to talk to our service writers and call Toyota first thing tomorrow about this. I usually don't deal with the recall side of things in my department, but I will be glad to find out for you guys. Sorry for the late response.

Thanks @LimbaughToyota. Having someone on from Toyota has really helped give us a clear insight on these kinds of things instead of dealer said this dealer said that.....

There's a lot of good info in that sheet. Seems as Toyota has lightened up on the work to be done when our trucks are lifted or have oversized tires, but not without you signing that they'll be turning off the PCS.

And it looks like only OEM Toyota Pro grill is acceptable for work to be done.

Toyota said:
Not all vehicles with non-Toyota-approved modifications will have the remedy performed.

Examples of non Toyota-approved modifications the remedy WILL be performed:

• Modifications that affect ride height, such as lift kits, and/or oversized wheels/tires.
• Toyota original equipment grilles installed on trucks that were not originally intended for the trim level of the vehicle.

Examples of non-Toyota approved modifications on which the remedy can NOT be performed:

• Aftermarket grilles
• Grille guards
• Winches
• Light bars
• Aftermarket steel bumpers

This is incredibly fair, if I'm understanding this correctly they're willing to perform the recall on the "approved" list correct?

I need to post this here. If you are not having issues with your PCS. DO NOT PERFORM THE RECALL, unless you have a stock grille. I wasn’t having issues before the recall which flashes an update onto the sensor. Now my Pro Grille and sensor are giving me issues. This is what I get for being proactive. Long story short. No issues= don’t do recall. Issues and stock grille = go ahead

Under no circumstances is the professional advice, just what I have experienced talking to multiple dealers

Took care of my PCS yesterday, which I did notice intermittent issue with it disconnecting. Dealership took care of it, but I did sign a liability release form recognizing that because my truck is lifted that the PCS may not capture obstacles due to the height being adjusted. They were unable to calibrate the height because it was "unknown".

But they did take care of me and installed the foam piece.

Do they need to remove the grill to perform the recall? I have some lights wired that would make it difficult to remove, that I would probably take out myself before I take it in if it does need to come off.

Do they need to remove the grill to perform the recall? I have some lights wired that would make it difficult to remove, that I would probably take out myself before I take it in if it does need to come off.
They do not remove the grille

Ya Arlington Toyota here in Jacksonville told me because I have an after market grill and bigger tires that they could do the upgrade/recall but if they did they would have to disable it all.
I said no thanks!!?

I've never seen a letter on a recall before. Service advisor usually look for recalls when you drop in for service and ask if you want it done, but if parts need to be ordered, then they call you to reschedule when it comes in. Or you can call for an appointment to get it done if you don't happen to be dropping in.

I received a letter a couple weeks ago.

I called them to ask and they said they normally would remove it, but they had enough room to do it while it was still on the truck. I took it in before work the other day and they fixed it up, no problems. I will say, the fix doesn't look all that impressive, it's just a big sticky foam piece on the back of the radar. I don't really see it keeping much water out, so you might not be missing much if you can't get the recall done.

I might just be paranoid, but the more I think about it, the more this seems like a fix designed to keep it from malfunctioning before the warranty runs out, but not permanently.

I’ve just given up hope. The sensor shuts off after twenty minutes of driving. So I’m past caring. Want to unplug and see if that stops the light from coming on

Yeah mine is doing the same thing. I can use it initially if I want to but like you said 20 minutes or so it alarms.

So I have a 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road package. Installed belstien leveling kit, TRD PRO front grill. I went to dealer for 20k mile service I was informed that there was a recall and that the dealer won’t preform the recall because of oversized wheel and tires “285/75/17” also because of the grill has been modified. Is this info correct I hate to go back to factory just to get the recall done and switch back!
I have the same issue. As, I am learning more about it, it seems Toyota is offering to turn off the sensor to avoid sensor collision related issues. With this turn of events I ask myself why am I going to sign off on them to turn of the sensor when I payed/still making payments on the vehicle. Its like I am paying for something that doesn't even work. I also had the grill modified and the oversize tires, but whats interesting is that Toyota was the one that offered me the upgrade package and I bought it from Toyota....now they wont cover there own parts. Lastly, Toyota told me its because the parts was installed by a third party not the dealer....that may be true however, WHY WAS THE UPGRADE PACKAGE added to the loan?????...….

Back