PCS sensor recall | Page 2 | 3rd Generation Toyota Tacomas — Tacoma3G.com

PCS sensor recall

CHALUPA

T3G Level: Bronze
T3G #
I have my 10,000 mile service next week, we’ll see how it goes... If they say no, I’ll just by the cheap rubber stick on shield (same cheap “fix” as Toyota, minus the flash) and call it good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nadsreza

First Name
Nads
T3G #
So guess what I did? I went to a different dealer and they ordered me TOYOTA TRD pro PCS and had TOYOTA pay for it and installed/ calibrated it! With my TRD pro grill leveling kit and the 285/75/17 tires!

Last edited:

Oregon 3rd Gen

T3G Level: Gold
T3G Supporter
First Name
Matt
T3G #
So I went to the dealer today for the recall. Apparently on May 13th Toyota issued a statement that any modifications will void the recall. So I’m shit out of luck for the recall. The recall is this

Along with a update. $14 for a piece of foam. Idk even know how often I’ll use the stupid program anyways

Oregon 3rd Gen

T3G Supporter
First Name
Matt
T3G #
Well big fucking update:
It took Kendall Toyota of Eugene all of 3 hours to tell me the TRD PRO grille makes the recall void. Apparently Toyota issued a notice on May 13th that any front end modification would do this. Literally all the recall is, is an update and piece of foam that sticks to the sensor. They said they couldn’t do anything. So I said fuck it I’ll buy the part and do it myself. As soon as I left I called another dealer in the next city and explained the whole situation. The service coordinator was amazed at what I told him because apparently Toyota issued another statement that the modded grille would not void. He said “ people mod their Tacomas and Tundras, it’s what truck people do”. He said they will take care of the sensor update and to just bring the part I purchased over. Seemed very friendly and apologetic for the inconvenience. I’m going to have a very stern phone call with the Kendall Toyota because they pulled a similar stunt with our 4 runner

Yorttam83

First Name
Matt
T3G #
Nah, complete opposite coast lol New England.
Where abouts in New England? I inquired about mine today when I brought my wife's 4Runner in for service and they mentioned even an altered tire size could cause them to decline the work and make me sign a waiver, deactivate it, etc.. Mine's stock except for 265/75r16 tires, SR black bezel, and wheel spacers.. I doubt they'd catch on to that stuff..

hallux

First Name
Das Big Toe
T3G #
Where abouts in New England? I inquired about mine today when I brought my wife's 4Runner in for service and they mentioned even an altered tire size could cause them to decline the work and make me sign a waiver, deactivate it, etc.. Mine's stock except for 265/75r16 tires, SR black bezel, and wheel spacers.. I doubt they'd catch on to that stuff..
Connecticut, you may want to call them first - mine was done before May 13th and that's when they apparently were cracking down.

Anthony29

T3G Level: Silver
First Name
Anthony
T3G #
i was told by my dealer that they wont do it because of my lift, but since i got rear ended and got new back up sensors and blind spot monitor sensors that needed to be calibrated and programmed they will just go ahead and take care of the recall since the insurance of the person who rear ended me paid toyota to take care of my rear sensors ($450) they might as well do the recall since the dealer got paid by proggresive insurance.

hallux

First Name
Das Big Toe
T3G #
Won't Toyota re-calibrate the PCS if you request them to (and pay...) after you lift? Also, how the fuck are they calling a Toyota Factory Part.... aka TRD Pro Grill an aftermarket grill?

Last edited:

Oregon 3rd Gen

T3G Supporter
First Name
Matt
T3G #
So Lithia Toyota performs the recall no problems. but then today I got driving and the sensor wasn’t working and did not read the car in front of me. So back to the dealer on Tuesday again. FYI recalibration costs $240

hallux

First Name
Das Big Toe
T3G #
So Lithia Toyota performs the recall no problems. but then today I got driving and the sensor wasn’t working and did not read the car in front of me. So back to the dealer on Tuesday again. FYI recalibration costs $240
I got into a sort of pissing competition w/ my dealer recently. They advertise installing of a Ready Lift, no larger then 2.5" and it won't void your warranty because it's installed by a dealer. Well they said it wouldn't void my warranty but won't do the recall....

Tyler

T3G Level: Grandmaster
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military Service
Marine Corps
T3G #
So guess what I did? I went to a different dealer and they ordered me TOYOTA TRD pro PCS and had TOYOTA pay for it and installed/ calibrated it! With my TRD pro grill leveling kit and the 285/75/17 tires!
That's dope. Congrats on eventually having it work out well.

Oregon 3rd Gen

T3G Supporter
First Name
Matt
T3G #
I got into a sort of pissing competition w/ my dealer recently. They advertise installing of a Ready Lift, no larger then 2.5" and it won't void your warranty because it's installed by a dealer. Well they said it wouldn't void my warranty but won't do the recall....
My suggestion is find another dealer. I’ve discovered the smaller dealers will do it

brocent

T3G Level: Silver
First Name
Vincent
T3G #
Thanks @LimbaughToyota. Having someone on from Toyota has really helped give us a clear insight on these kinds of things instead of dealer said this dealer said that.....

There's a lot of good info in that sheet. Seems as Toyota has lightened up on the work to be done when our trucks are lifted or have oversized tires, but not without you signing that they'll be turning off the PCS.

And it looks like only OEM Toyota Pro grill is acceptable for work to be done.

hallux

First Name
Das Big Toe
T3G #
Toyota said:
Not all vehicles with non-Toyota-approved modifications will have the remedy performed.

Examples of non Toyota-approved modifications the remedy WILL be performed:

• Modifications that affect ride height, such as lift kits, and/or oversized wheels/tires.
• Toyota original equipment grilles installed on trucks that were not originally intended for the trim level of the vehicle.

Examples of non-Toyota approved modifications on which the remedy can NOT be performed:

• Aftermarket grilles
• Grille guards
• Winches
• Light bars
• Aftermarket steel bumpers
This is incredibly fair, if I'm understanding this correctly they're willing to perform the recall on the "approved" list correct?