• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Paint chips on tailgate

BaboonFury

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hi All - brand new here having just picked up a 21 DCLB OR 3 weeks ago and noticed that I have a handful of small rock chips on my tailgate. I have just a tad under 2k miles on the truck with the majority of the miles coming on the highway. I did spend a couple of days in Death Valley doing some light trails and am thinking some rocks got kicked at me when passing other vehicles going in the opposite direction, though there weren't that many. Anyone else see this on their Tacomas? I'm mulling putting a clear bra on the tailgate now to circumvent and wanted to see what others are doing.

I've never noticed anything like that. Do you have pictures? Does your truck have mudflaps?

Where in the tailgate? More likely accidental chips from leaning or other people contact on the tailgate.

have you towed a trailer at all? I get them from rocks bouncing off the trailer or hitch haul on gravel roads

I've never noticed anything like that. Do you have pictures? Does your truck have mudflaps?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow. Basically looks like a rock chip you'd get on the hood or bumper. First time on any vehicle I've gotten them on the tailgate though. I do have mudflaps on.

Where in the tailgate? More likely accidental chips from leaning or other people contact on the tailgate.
All kind of in random spots. Basically looks like rock chips on the tailgate but just seems odd that it would happen so soon.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow. Basically looks like a rock chip you'd get on the hood or bumper. First time on any vehicle I've gotten them on the tailgate though. I do have mudflaps on.
Tried taking a picture and basically couldn't see anything through the camera unless I zoomed way in in which case it just looks like a rock chip.

Tried taking a picture and basically couldn't see anything through the camera unless I zoomed way in in which case it just looks like a rock chip.
Any chance it was 3rd party related? I once thought my car had been keyed as there were light scratches all around it. Months later I found out my young daughter "drew on it with rocks"

Any chance it was 3rd party related? I once thought my car had been keyed as there were light scratches all around it. Months later I found out my young daughter "drew on it with rocks"
Ugh that is painful. Hope the drawings didn't get through the clear coat. I'm thinking it must have happened parked at a trail head or something like that where there was a bunch of loose gravel and maybe someone spun out a bit and kicked a bunch at my truck. I don't have a single one on the bumper or hood yet but somehow have 4 on the tailgate.

Back