Paint chips on tailgate

• Hello, visitor! Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a resource for 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma owners.

Tacoma3G is a friendly community dedicated to 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and Overland Enthusiasts. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

BaboonFury

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#7,995
Hi All - brand new here having just picked up a 21 DCLB OR 3 weeks ago and noticed that I have a handful of small rock chips on my tailgate. I have just a tad under 2k miles on the truck with the majority of the miles coming on the highway. I did spend a couple of days in Death Valley doing some light trails and am thinking some rocks got kicked at me when passing other vehicles going in the opposite direction, though there weren't that many. Anyone else see this on their Tacomas? I'm mulling putting a clear bra on the tailgate now to circumvent and wanted to see what others are doing.

RevN3

✓ • Diamond
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#1,323
I've never noticed anything like that. Do you have pictures? Does your truck have mudflaps?

Biohazard

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#6,304
Where in the tailgate? More likely accidental chips from leaning or other people contact on the tailgate.

Big E

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Ernie
T3G Member
#3,969
have you towed a trailer at all? I get them from rocks bouncing off the trailer or hitch haul on gravel roads

BaboonFury

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#7,995
I've never noticed anything like that. Do you have pictures? Does your truck have mudflaps?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow. Basically looks like a rock chip you'd get on the hood or bumper. First time on any vehicle I've gotten them on the tailgate though. I do have mudflaps on.

BaboonFury

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#7,995
Where in the tailgate? More likely accidental chips from leaning or other people contact on the tailgate.
All kind of in random spots. Basically looks like rock chips on the tailgate but just seems odd that it would happen so soon.

BaboonFury

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#7,995
I'll take some pictures tomorrow. Basically looks like a rock chip you'd get on the hood or bumper. First time on any vehicle I've gotten them on the tailgate though. I do have mudflaps on.
Tried taking a picture and basically couldn't see anything through the camera unless I zoomed way in in which case it just looks like a rock chip.

RevN3

✓ • Diamond
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#1,323
Tried taking a picture and basically couldn't see anything through the camera unless I zoomed way in in which case it just looks like a rock chip.
Any chance it was 3rd party related? I once thought my car had been keyed as there were light scratches all around it. Months later I found out my young daughter "drew on it with rocks"

BaboonFury

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#7,995
Any chance it was 3rd party related? I once thought my car had been keyed as there were light scratches all around it. Months later I found out my young daughter "drew on it with rocks"
Ugh that is painful. Hope the drawings didn't get through the clear coat. I'm thinking it must have happened parked at a trail head or something like that where there was a bunch of loose gravel and maybe someone spun out a bit and kicked a bunch at my truck. I don't have a single one on the bumper or hood yet but somehow have 4 on the tailgate.

Top Bottom