• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Overland trailer

Hubermr

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
I’m looking for a trailer that is good for off roading. Something I could retrofit even. I’ve looked at like military M101A1 and the M1101 trailers. Is there anything y’all recommend/have used?

I’m looking for a trailer that is good for off roading. Something I could retrofit even. I’ve looked at like military M101A1 and the M1101 trailers. Is there anything y’all recommend/have used?
Do you want it to be a trailer frame to build into one like the M1101 would be? Or would you have the budget to buy one from an overland trailer company?

Sorry I’m learning the reply system.

Last edited:
Do you want it to be a trailer frame to build into one like the M1101 would be? Or would you have the budget to buy one from an overland trailer company?

I’m playing my options. It’s something I’m willing to pay out on but then again would be fun to build out. I’m just not sure if there is a better option than buying a 60 year old trailer and building it out. Ya know?

I’m playing my options. It’s something I’m willing to pay out on but then again would be fun to build out. I’m just not sure if there is a better option than buying a 60 year old trailer and building it out. Ya know?
I feel you. The M1101 are known to be a solid foundation to build on after you modernize them a little bit. You can’t really use them as they are. And the camper/storage part would obviously be completely DIY so it would only be as nice as your skill can take it. They don’t always end up looking the prettiest.

Nowadays, there are a lot of manufacturers of actual overland trailers that use high end technology and components, but they are all very pricey.

We have some members on here that have been down both routes. I will let them chime in because my camper is going on the bed of my truck rather than a trailer.

I feel you. The M1101 are known to be a solid foundation to build on after you modernize them a little bit. You can’t really use them as they are. And the camper/storage part would obviously be completely DIY so it would only be as nice as your skill can take it. They don’t always end up looking the prettiest.

Nowadays, there are a lot of manufacturers of actual overland trailers that use high end technology and components, but they are all very pricey.

We have some members on here that have been down both routes. I will let them chime in because my camper is going on the bed of my truck rather than a trailer.

I really considered the bed of the truck but if I do that and I need to go get something say at a camp site I would have to pack it all up. I’ll see what else everyone has to say. I am very curious.

I just found one I think I might purchase instead. You have a good point if I do the military trailer it’s only as good as my DIY skills. I’m not the best at DIY so I started researching. I really like the MORV trailer. And it still has a bit of customizing to it while being an overland trailer. Thanks Tyler!
Awesome! Keep us updated on this. I’m sure other people would like to hear about that trailer.

Back