• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Overland Conversion Advice(Tires and Suspension)

Gstavy1

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Looking at turning my 2019 TRD Off Road into an overland rig and need some advice with tires and a lift. I've been going back and forth between 33's and 35's, what are the main pros and cons between the two. From what I've read so far it seems to be that quite a bit of extra work is needed for 35's but is it worth it in the long run. Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions you give.

The 33's vs 35's debate could go for days. Honestly I'd love 35's but unless you are doing really high level offroad trails they really are overkill. Most of the stuff I've done the tires I have currently were plenty (265/70/17). Plus I get guaranteed better fuel economy over the long drives than I would with 35's. It really depends what yo plan to do with the truck.

As for a lift, what can you afford? Because you could spend $1,000 or $10,000 and neither option would really be right or wrong. Just different options and having a budget planned is the best way to narrow it down.

The 33's vs 35's debate could go for days. Honestly I'd love 35's but unless you are doing really high level offroad trails they really are overkill. Most of the stuff I've done the tires I have currently were plenty (265/70/17). Plus I get guaranteed better fuel economy over the long drives than I would with 35's. It really depends what yo plan to do with the truck.

As for a lift, what can you afford? Because you could spend $1,000 or $10,000 and neither option would really be right or wrong. Just different options and having a budget planned is the best way to narrow it down.
Definitely feel you there on the tires and mpg, makes sense. Probably looking at spending around 3k on a lift, have been looking at Icons and Kings

Definitely feel you there on the tires and mpg, makes sense. Probably looking at spending around 3k on a lift, have been looking at Icons and Kings

Can't go wrong with either of those choices. I think that'll put you around the Icon stage 4. Which is a great setup. I have the Old Man Emu BP-51's and they're a good choice as well around that price range.

Can't go wrong with either of those choices. I think that'll put you around the Icon stage 4. Which is a great setup. I have the Old Man Emu BP-51's and they're a good choice as well around that price range.
Any recommendation on billet vs tubular?

Over landing tires keep 32 or biggest 33 price is better , better fuel economy, less work to no work for potential rubbing issues, and regearing isnt necessary .as per suspension for 3k there is alot out there the bigger concern would be the overall weight of your finished rig . You need to figure that out so you can build your suspension in one go and it would support for your needs

Any recommendation on billet vs tubular?
OME bp51 kit you would be able to order a heavy duty kit (heavier springs and leafs)
The icon stage 4 is great but the leafs will need to be changed ass there progressive AAL wont hold the weight, and if your going to winch and s plate bumper the front spring will need to be done as well (which you can get from icon)

Back