• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune OTT Tune

What are the different types?

I flashed Mild-Medium. Hope I like it. Well see how it goes.

Lite Minus - Lite ECT (Lightest Throttle) - More than stock
Lite - Mild ECT (A bit more than Lite Minus-Lite)
Mild - Medium (A bit more than Lite-Mild)
Medium -Spicy (More than Mild-Medium)

I flashed Mild-Medium. Hope I like it. Well see how it goes.

Lite Minus - Lite ECT (Lightest Throttle) - More than stock
Lite - Mild ECT (A bit more than Lite Minus-Lite)
Mild - Medium (A bit more than Lite-Mild)
Medium -Spicy (More than Mild-Medium)
Is there a hot spicy or a flaming spicy tune lol

Is there a hot spicy or a flaming spicy tune lol

91pNe+nkT1L.jpg

I got mild-medium cause I am a wimp, but I am very happy with it. :)

I got a "medium" and wish I had done "mild". The throttle is too jumpy when taking off from a complete stop or when dealing with traffic jams. And there seems to be a little bit of a dead spot in the throttle input. Hoping the change to a lighter throttle setting will fix that.

I actually got a spicy tune yesterday and I must say that I was sadly very underwhelmed. The way I have my truck setup currently with modifications and the fact that it’s a manual was most likely the reason for this. Now I’m definitely not saying anything bad about this tune at all! All I’m saying is that it didn’t work for me.

I actually got a spicy tune yesterday and I must say that I was sadly very underwhelmed. The way I have my truck setup currently with modifications and the fact that it’s a manual was most likely the reason for this. Now I’m definitely not saying anything bad about this tune at all! All I’m saying is that it didn’t work for me.

I'm guessing it would make the throttle be more distinct. Sensitivity of it. Doesn't ease into it, just more acute.
You can neutralwhelm yourself by just dumping the clutch all the time, everytime. ;)

I got a "medium" and wish I had done "mild". The throttle is too jumpy when taking off from a complete stop or when dealing with traffic jams. And there seems to be a little bit of a dead spot in the throttle input. Hoping the change to a lighter throttle setting will fix that.

I also went for Mild-Medium. It is jumpier than before and more responsive. But you'll get used to it.
Might have to do some feathering exercises. I'm perfecting the technique giving old women footjobs.

So my truck has been settling at 13-14.4mpg on Valley Runner, which was supposed to be a tune that improved gas mileage. Maybe it did from factory.
After OTT, I finally saw over 15mpg.

Same 5 mile commute to work. Same driving style. More responsive and useable power.

So I finally took it on a longer drive. Normally 5 mile drives. Maybe 10 tops.
The long one was 45+ and back.

Average was 13ish. I was thinking I'd get more than the city-ish driving. Might be from me getting on it and going 85-95mph for a lot of it.
One thing was my cruise control didn't work. Had have my center console unplugged, so I'm assuming that disables it.

Does cruise control help? What speeds do you usually cruise at for longer drives?

Hmmm. My cruise control works fine with my OTT. Although it drives better when I don't use it as it hunts gears less.

Hmmm. My cruise control works fine with my OTT. Although it drives better when I don't use it as it hunts gears less.
So it definitely wasn't the tune and it was the shifter console being out that disabled it. Good to know. Put it back in and worked.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm one and done. Was gonna give a shot at tuning the base maps, but it's a bit nutty for me.
I guess I could see if my friend might want to mess with it so I don't have to cough up another $400. I know, you're probably oh great... that's a bad idea.
But he's a tuning legend in the Honda world. Super nice builds. Even owns a Dynapack and Mustang Dyno. My other friend created Nismotronic. So they'd be more experience in tuning overall. But I'd imagine Tacoma specific would be different due to purpose.
I guess that's one way to do it. Support friends.
I'll ultimately shop around and probably just grab OTT.
Thanks for the info everyone. Was trying to understand it and you guys did that for me.
First thanks for all the information posted here it helped on choosing OTT.
I just got OTT in South Florida from the retailer listed on the OTT website. The cost was $500 but it is a 1 time fee. If I want to change the tune it is included, no need to pay another $500.

I had the exact same experience with my manual, although over time it seems to have a bit more pickup now? Not sure what to make of that.

Do you still have to pay for it? KDmax sent me my first tune and told me to pay them if I liked it. I did and did.

Back