• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

On the fence

TacoBori

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Quicksand
So Tacos...short and simple. What are you guya running for rear bumpers? Spare tire? Table? All the bells and whistles or simple and clean?

I went HC rear no add ons. Did this for several reasons. Wanted garage clearance and i get in and out my trucks bed for baby stroller and a tire swing would get old. If i didnt have those two things and didnt use truck bed or need to ever fold down tailgate and drive with furnature id be all for a duel swingout

I went HC rear no add ons. Did this for several reasons. Wanted garage clearance and i get in and out my trucks bed for baby stroller and a tire swing would get old. If i didnt have those two things and didnt use truck bed or need to ever fold down tailgate and drive with furnature id be all for a duel swingout
So what are you thinking for a spare tire solution?

We actually just redesigned our new dual swing out rear to better match the rear of the truck than our original HC rear and standard rear! It also uses the same fail-safe system as our newly released T4R bumper. Everything (table, camera mount, hi lift mount, dual antenna mount, tire carriers) are included and other carriers can be added (max of 2 between CO2, Propane and NATO CAN).
https://tacoma3g.com/threads/2016-hi-clearance-rear-bumper-w-dual-swing-gate.229/

My full size 33” is below in stock location. So if I ever went up to 34 or higher a i would have an issue. But i see no plans to . The famous last words

Quite literally the gateway into the phrase "it never ends"

My full size 33” is below in stock location. So if I ever went up to 34 or higher a i would have an issue. But i see no plans to . The famous last words
Really? I didnt think it would fit

Really? I didnt think it would fit
I’ve seen a few others post that they just needed to relocate the mounting bracket like 1/2” to fit the larger tire. I’m still stock so i haven’t had the need to get under there to find out for myself.

I’ve seen a few others post that they just needed to relocate the mounting bracket like 1/2” to fit the larger tire. I’m still stock so i haven’t had the need to get under there to find out for myself.

So at first i did nothing. The tire shop i ordered new wheel and tire through put it up under with no issues. A few days later i noticed it was about an inch from exhaust and the tread of tire pinched the two retaining claws. So i chopped muffler which is really nice not hanging it up on rocks and i took a small sledge hammer to the two claws bending them back about 2” each. I then spraypainted them where i banged on them to prevent rust. Tire pops right up and is solid. Very nice knowing i have the correct size spare. Now i dont believe a 34-35 will fit im barely clearing now.

So at first i did nothing. The tire shop i ordered new wheel and tire through put it up under with no issues. A few days later i noticed it was about an inch from exhaust and the tread of tire pinched the two retaining claws. So i chopped muffler which is really nice not hanging it up on rocks and i took a small sledge hammer to the two claws bending them back about 2” each. I then spraypainted them where i banged on them to prevent rust. Tire pops right up and is solid. Very nice knowing i have the correct size spare. Now i dont believe a 34-35 will fit im barely clearing now.
Wow man thanks for the info. I might just run with that and save the money from a rear tire mount

Back