• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Off-road recovery gear

mZiggy

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Reaction score
2017 Pro DCSB Manual
Cement
Let's see your recovery gear!

I'm a member of a local facebook page where people can post if they need a tug, and posts come in almost daily which is to be expected since I live in a desert (El Paso) and so there's plenty of land to explore and get stuck in.

Anyway. I keep with me my gear, held in bags on my bed rail molle panel, since I frequently respond to requests for recovery when convenient or if I'm just available, and I have plenty of fun doing it.

I keep a rhino strap tow strap, which has been excellent. Believe it or not, I was actually sold on it when I watched a Ram 2500 v10 pull an ambulance out of and through the sand with one lol one hell of a strap for sure. It's definitely served me well.

I've got that strap hooked up to a smittybilt tow receiver bar thing with a metal shackle attached, and on the other end of the strap (the end that goes to whatever vehicle needs the tug), I use either another metal shackle or my Bubba Rope Gator Jaw. That Bubba Rope has been invaluable since most of my recoveries have been on vehicles that had no available recovery points or even tie down points, or they were buried and inaccessible. Not uncommon to rescue someone with their rear diff half buried and wheels thoroughly dug into the soft stuff. Securing to the frame became necessary and that gator jaw is more often than not going to be more capable for getting around a frame point and holding than the other shackle is, which depends on there being a hole available.

Lastly, for both my own use and anyone who may need it, I keep a gauge for airing down, with various fittings, and an air compressor for airing up. I also keep my portable battery jump starter with me, which you'll see in the photos. Not pictured is my air compressor but it's ordinarily kept in its case with extra hose and strapped to my molle panel so that it doesn't go flying all over my truck bed lol

Looking forward to seeing what you guys use and seeing some photos! (y)

Attachments

• 2018-04-29_13.19.23.jpg
    2018-04-29_13.19.23.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 0429181219a.jpg
    0429181219a.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 0429181219.jpg
    0429181219.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 0429181313a_HDR.jpg
    0429181313a_HDR.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 0429181313.jpg
    0429181313.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 0422181703_HDR.jpg
    0422181703_HDR.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 0407181635.jpg
    0407181635.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 0412181952.jpg
    0412181952.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Your kit is sweet! At the minimum, I'm always packing tow rope and jumper cables. If I know I'm gonna be on the trail I'll have my air compressor and some "oh shit" types of tools. I need to expand my kit actually, but if you want quality products you usually gotta spend decent money. Which is fine, I'm just not ready yet.

Upvote 0
Nice work! I like the organization. I still need a compressor... what do you have? would you recommend it?

Upvote 0
Your kit is sweet! At the minimum, I'm always packing tow rope and jumper cables. If I know I'm gonna be on the trail I'll have my air compressor and some "oh shit" types of tools. I need to expand my kit actually, but if you want quality products you usually gotta spend decent money. Which is fine, I'm just not ready yet.
Thank you sir, and yes, gotta pay to play as the saying goes lol all in good time. I acquired mine over a bit of time, both from research and then also kind of discovering what was more appropriate as I went. What worked well, what didn't, what I came to realize I could have needed or would have made the process easier, stuff like that
Nice work! I like the organization. I still need a compressor... what do you have? would you recommend it?
Thank you sir, I prefer to be organized at all times and I am a little too detail oriented to allow my setup to be a mess lol I have the Viair 88P, and I do recommend it with some notes: it's relatively quiet, which is a plus of course, but try not to be impatient with it. If you're airing up following off roading, you're likely not in a rush anyway, but still. I've successfully aired up tires from 20-25psi to 35-40psi just fine, in about a minute or so depending how much air is being delivered, but don't be terribly surprised if you need to give it a 5min break or so between tires every now and then. This has happened to me only once over the course of over 15 air ups, but still, it happens. Like anything else, sometimes it just needs to cool lol I read somewhere that this should be expected due to the lower duty cycle.

Overall though, it's got my vote (y) dependable every time I have used it, and the amount of hose you get with it is substantial to say the least. I ordered an additional 6' for any unforeseen circumstances but doubt I'll use it lol

Upvote 0
Like your camper setup. Everything is nice and organized in the back. I need to work on getting my recovery gear. I've been relying on others for awhile now.
Thank you sir. As for your acquiring your gear, all in good time. Sometimes priorities get in the way. Feel free to ask if you end up having any specific questions about the gear I've been using, or anything else I've done really

Upvote 0
Thank you sir. As for your acquiring your gear, all in good time. Sometimes priorities get in the way. Feel free to ask if you end up having any specific questions about the gear I've been using, or anything else I've done really
Actually I do have a question. I know the D-ring receiver isn't much and I plan on getting one soon but in the past I have just put the tow strap into the receiver and used the pin to hold it in place. Any harm in doing it this way? I figure the pin is pretty strong since it holds the receiver in place.

Upvote 0
Actually I do have a question. I know the D-ring receiver isn't much and I plan on getting one soon but in the past I have just put the tow strap into the receiver and used the pin to hold it in place. Any harm in doing it this way? I figure the pin is pretty strong since it holds the receiver in place.
You know what, I've never thought of that or come across that scenario, so I don't know. But I would say that the risk of damage is going to be directly related to the pin design. With the D ring shackle, the bolt threads into the opposite side of entry and so it has no risk of coming loose. With just a pin, normal ones like what I'm thinking of anyway, there's nothing to prevent it from sliding in one direction or another. Now if you're doing a straight pull, I could see you getting lucky and nothing happening, but I personally wouldn't do it. Recovery can result in unforeseen complications and a loose pin holding the strap is not a factor I would want to have to worry about. Additionally, if you're using too low rated of a pin, it's not going to be as strong as the proper equipment.

Upvote 0
You know what, I've never thought of that or come across that scenario, so I don't know. But I would say that the risk of damage is going to be directly related to the pin design. With the D ring shackle, the bolt threads into the opposite side of entry and so it has no risk of coming loose. With just a pin, normal ones like what I'm thinking of anyway, there's nothing to prevent it from sliding in one direction or another. Now if you're doing a straight pull, I could see you getting lucky and nothing happening, but I personally wouldn't do it. Recovery can result in unforeseen complications and a loose pin holding the strap is not a factor I would want to have to worry about. Additionally, if you're using too low rated of a pin, it's not going to be as strong as the proper equipment.
I agree. I wouldn't use a pin unless I had no choice. But you're getting the d-ring anyway so you're fine.

Upvote 0
I use to do the pin all the time, pulled out a 3500 dually not hard putt or hard jerk just a lot of resistance. Bent the pin and I hade to cut it out to get it out hahahahaha. Have a d ring now but I know I have used the pin trick a lot!!!

Upvote 0
Looks like i gotta get my recovery gear up to speed.

Upvote 0
I would like to revive this old thread as I am trying to outfit my first tacoma.

I am just a midwesterner who used to just throw in a tow rope - couple of shackles and a
3' chain with differnent hooks attached along with a set of jumper cables in a plastic tote
in the back of my 93 chevy for the winter months. The plastic tote also doubled as a pheasant
carrier as I live in the heart of ringneck country and hunted and trapped constantly.

I'm contemplating purchasing a Red Ox bag and outfitting it.

I'm sure I am not the only person looking for ideas on a good recovery setup.
Also please post your favorite vendors or manufactures of such products.

Upvote 0
I’ll go through my truck tomorrow and show my setup for the recovery stuff when I’m washing all the dead bugs off from the damn overnight commutes, but I got these old photos before I had a winch how just two max traxx’s and how lift jack can be used to get out of skids and axels bottomed our in the mud.
54D311BB-0C80-436F-8D5D-1F4EB1FCDC60.jpeg
B8DC738C-11C9-4E57-AB87-A7C33454FA7B.jpeg
638312D7-2E04-41AD-A3D5-1C4620D14D62.jpeg
6E2A1819-08A8-47E2-9D5C-19B739E08FBC.jpeg
A21F9FBD-5770-499C-BFAF-6E09E0A05F6D.jpeg

Upvote 0
Side note, that day and some Australian YouTube videos have me really torn for buying 35s next month on the same st maxx’s or nitto mt’s

Upvote 0
Back