• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Nitto Ridge Grappler or BFG TA K02 For A Tacoma?

SD Wheel

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
We know both the Ridge Grappler and BFG TA K02 have awesome reviews, but does anyone recommend one over the other for the Tacoma? We have some good info here, Nitto Ridge Grappler vs BFGoodrich T/A K02, but we wanted to see what other Taco owners prefer to run year-round. Thanks!

I have KO2s on my F150 and have never had any problems. My F150 is my daily driver and I do a little fire road driving in it but my Tacoma is my “off road only” vehicle and I run KM3s on it. I really love KM3s, great in mud, sand and on rock. Surprisingly little sound on the road too.

I've read about KO2's performance or lack thereof in rain on pavement. Each has their ups and downs but between those 2, I'd go with the Ridge Grappler. Myself I've been eyeing the STT Pro from Cooper.

I was a BFG all-terrain fan just because my dad used them on all his trucks so that’s what I did.

My first time moving from a BFG was around a month ago when I get my 37s, and those are Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Now that I’ve had the Nittos, I learned some things about the BFG’s in retrospect:

—The BFG is MUCH louder.

—The BFG is noticeably heavier.

—The BFG is known to not last as long as its alternatives. 10,000 to 20,000 miles less in some cases.

—The BFG is usually the more expensive option.

Now that I realize those points, I probably wouldn’t go back to a BFG tire. So far, the Nittos will be my go-to tire but I won’t know for sure until I finish this set.

Made the switch from K02 to Duratracs. Meh. Duratracs much better in mud and off road and handle better in the rain. KO2 are terrible in wet conditions. A lot more road noise from Duratracs vs. the KO2. I was considering the Nitto at one point. Maybe those will be next. There are so many options it can make you crazy when trying to decide.

We know both the Ridge Grappler and BFG TA K02 have awesome reviews, but does anyone recommend one over the other for the Tacoma? We have some good info here, Nitto Ridge Grappler vs BFGoodrich T/A K02, but we wanted to see what other Taco owners prefer to run year-round. Thanks!
I have been running BFG KO2's for several months now and I absolutely love them. I have had them in the sand, a little rock crawling and of course on the highway. I am surprised how quiet they are on the road, and how much grip they have in the sand.

I've been running the Ridge Grapplers for about 10k miles. I'm about to put them on our 4Runner as well. Great tires. They are holding up very well, are quiet (for AT's) on the highway, and have exceeded expectations off road. Plus they look better than the BFGs in my opinion.

I have been running BFG KO2's for several months now and I absolutely love them. I have had them in the sand, a little rock crawling and of course on the highway. I am surprised how quiet they are on the road, and how much grip they have in the sand.
Toyo- Open Country. All Terrain
pic tire.jpg
3. totally awesome tire

both the Ridge Grappler and BFG TA K02 have awesome reviews, but does anyone recommend one over the other for the Tacoma? We have some good info here, Nitto Ridge Grappler vs BFGoodrich T/A K02, but we wanted to see what other Taco owners prefer to run year-roun
I personally like Nitto over BFG. The Ridge Grap is a fantastic tire.

Back