• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Newbie with Truck and Build Ideas

Jetspeed

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a new 2020 Cement Taco TRD Offroad Premium Offroad Package with Technology. I think I found a good deal at $39,800 for everything before %6 sales tax. Also, I have the following build worked out with the dealer.

1. 3" ICON Stage 9 Kt
2. Nitro 4.88 Gears
3. Nitto Grappler 285/70/17 (33")
4. 17" Fuel Ammo Wheels - Matte Black
5. Amp Research Power Steps
6. TRD Pro Grille
7. %20 front window tint
8. Factory Blackout Badging
9. Factory Tailgate Insert
10. Front tint to match

Have not purchased the truck yet but have a deal in place and will most likely put a downpayment on Monday Oct. 12, 2020. It's scheduled to arrive in a week.

Been doing a ton of research and I'm happy with my choices. I have the money so I'd like to do this the right way and I think the parts I've chosen and the methodology by which I'm doing this is pretty sound. All parts will be installed by the dealer and done as soon as the truck arrives.

Having said all this I understand a wise man never learns by talking so I'm all ears gang. Would love your knowledgeable input on my selections with informative feedback.

Good to be hear. I've learned so much already by reading your posts for hours on end.

Which grapplers?
Avoid the amp steps. Avoid power steps in general. They are finicky to say the least.

Which grapplers?
Avoid the amp steps. Avoid power steps in general. They are finicky to say the least.
Hey Nickyreno, I would agree with you but I've had the Amp Research on my last two trucks and they ran flawlessly. Have to go with what I know and I love how these operate and don't detract from the lines of the truck. If you know something I should be aware of about these as far as a Taco application I'm all ears.

Hey Nickyreno, I would agree with you but I've had the Amp Research on my last two trucks and they ran flawlessly. Have to go with what I know and I love how these operate and don't detract from the lines of the truck. If you know something I should be aware of about these as far as a Taco application I'm all ears.

Yeah I’ve never owned them personally, just had to remove them for a couple of people that were sick of the steps intermittently working or freezing shut during the winter. Could easily have been poor install or maintenance, idk. Either way - I take my truck off-road and they wouldn’t last a more than a weekend.

Yeah I’ve never owned them personally, just had to remove them for a couple of people that were sick of the steps intermittently working or freezing shut during the winter. Could easily have been poor install or maintenance, idk. Either way - I take my truck off-road and they wouldn’t last a more than a weekend.
That last part I hadn't really considered. I didn't do much off road in my 2 trucks that had the AR Power steps. They were for hauling my 40' Toy Hauler. I can see your point for destroying these in off-road application. Any suggestion for a more streamlined step that wouldn't detract much from the lines of the Tacoma?

Rocky Road Outfitters have some low profile options you might like. Warfab and Victory 4x4 have some good clean rock sliders that provide a step too.

TJM also has a very low profile slider that I don’t think can be used as a step though. Just be cognizant that the more you “compliment” the lines of the truck, may also increase the chance a hard impact will push the step/slider into the cab and damage it.

Back