• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New Taco owner!

ElementRob86

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
Howdy all!

I picked up a 2018 TRD OffRoad late last month. I've got several itches for modifications and aftermarket upgrades. I'm a headlight junkie so my first bit for now it to upgrade the halogens to HID until I can make the leap to Morimoto's LED assemblies (I have been advised the projectors are okay to hold up to the heat for a while). Next up is to add my CB to the truck. I run a Uniden 980SSB with a 100 watt amp into a Firestik FS2 at 3' (currently mounted in my work van). I'm looking at different antenna mounts and I prefer to have my antenna on the front half of the truck so I'm looking at the CBI hood mount. My only issue is the lack of ability to ground the mount. Does anyone who run this mount have a solution to this? I'd rather not drill through the powder coat and run the chance of rusting the mount. Once I own the truck, I'd like to regear the differentials a bit better and maybe, just maybe, add a blower. Before that, I'd like to add a short throw shifter on. I'm not intending to take this off road or over-landing so no plans on a lift or adding 35's.

Welcome to the club. These are good trucks.
Good luck on the Cb. A lot of guys don't use them, limited range and better sat phones and such for off the grid work.

Welcome. 👋
I noticed you mentioned getting a shifter...great idea.
I am a big fan of my Core shifter.
I had a Hurst short throw on a 2002 Ranger. Is the Core brand a short throw? I'm looking at the site but see no mention of it being one. I'd love to have a short throw again!

Probably the most favorite mod on my truck!
Here ya go...

Howdy all!

I picked up a 2018 TRD OffRoad late last month. I've got several itches for modifications and aftermarket upgrades. I'm a headlight junkie so my first bit for now it to upgrade the halogens to HID until I can make the leap to Morimoto's LED assemblies (I have been advised the projectors are okay to hold up to the heat for a while). Next up is to add my CB to the truck. I run a Uniden 980SSB with a 100 watt amp into a Firestik FS2 at 3' (currently mounted in my work van). I'm looking at different antenna mounts and I prefer to have my antenna on the front half of the truck so I'm looking at the CBI hood mount. My only issue is the lack of ability to ground the mount. Does anyone who run this mount have a solution to this? I'd rather not drill through the powder coat and run the chance of rusting the mount. Once I own the truck, I'd like to regear the differentials a bit better and maybe, just maybe, add a blower. Before that, I'd like to add a short throw shifter on. I'm not intending to take this off road or over-landing so no plans on a lift or adding 35's.

Welcome. Shot you a message.

Back