• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New 2020 Tacoma owner

Mick

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I used to go four wheeling with a friend many years ago, who had a modified K5 Blazer. We did it all, rock crawling, chasing Jeeps. He has moved away now and I purchased a Tacoma this year to help expand my ability to go camping in SOCAL. Looking for groups who know the BLM Lands and also have some fun with my truck. Also looking for input on skid plates, and rock skids.

Attachments

• 822A4C52-5F91-4263-B050-A1C05377698B.jpeg
    822A4C52-5F91-4263-B050-A1C05377698B.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 80
Hello and welcome to Tacoma3g!

These trucks are impressive offroad.

Many options for sliders and skid plates. I can only speak for what I have, which is weld on avid offroad sliders. They have done me well.

There is also:
warfab
Mobtown
Cbi
4xinnovations
Etc

Skid plates are also all over. A lot of guys run the TRD skid and enjoy it. Most of those companies above offer skid plates too.

Nice looking truck! I am digging the super white. It looks clean, particularly with the blacked out badges.

Hello and welcome to Tacoma3g!

These trucks are impressive offroad.

Many options for sliders and skid plates. I can only speak for what I have, which is weld on avid offroad sliders. They have done me well.

There is also:
warfab
Mobtown
Cbi
4xinnovations
Etc

Skid plates are also all over. A lot of guys run the TRD skid and enjoy it. Most of those companies above offer skid plates too.
So I have noticed that company’s will sell both bolt on and weld on rock skids. I understand the strength factor because I used to weld, but does it really make an overall difference. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having either one?

So I have noticed that company’s will sell both bolt on and weld on rock skids. I understand the strength factor because I used to weld, but does it really make an overall difference. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having either one?
I’ve slid down many rocks with my bolt on and haven’t touched the bolts since install. No issues.

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having either one?
Weld on is definitely way stronger. Weld ons are great if you plan on abusing the ever loving crap out of your rig and ever see a need to take them off again. I had a set welded to my old 1985 Toyota Pickup. It was a crawler with no factory warranty. Once you start grinding and welding onto your frame you could find yourself up shit creek with a turd for a paddle if the frame began to rust. Most bolt ons are plenty for average tral rub. I've seen some take a lot of punishment. Plus most will give you the option to drill for extra mounting holes and added strength. They are removable so if you sell your rig you could sell the sliders as well.

Back