• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

midnight20pro's "Endless Summer" build thread

Where did you end up mounting your ARB diff breather? I was thinking about putting it in the bed storage cubby. Did you or are you going to route the trans and t-case breathers to it as well?

I shipped the diff breather to the wrong state so I'll be installing it when I finally get it down here. I think people mount it behind the taillight somewhere, but I was gonna wait to see where it makes sense. If those breathers run the same risk of having negative vacuum pressure draw in water while submerged, then yes I would like to port those also, I imagine some Y couplers should let me run multiple breathers to the new relocated ARB

Well this year sure went to shit and quick! :D (the original plan)

Seriously nice build. Love your truck. How is the ride on road with the ICON? Thinking of doing the ICON Stage 9 with billet but I don't want a super stiff ride when getting the groceries. Also, do you notice a difference in the ride quality with the Hammer Hangars?

A lot of good progress on this build. Taking notes and trying to wrangle a budget. Looking forward more to come.

The build is wrapped up. I have some pictures but I want to take some more before sharing any. I posted a sneak peek in this months rotm. thanks all, more to come and soon!

@Jetspeed the truck was built where I was supposed to start a trip this year but due to covid I got stuck at home and the truck on the wrong coast :) so the truck is on its way to me. I'll let everyone know how I feel about my choices when I can thoroughly test them and give an honest reviews.

The build is wrapped up. I have some pictures but I want to take some more before sharing any. I posted a sneak peek in this months rotm. thanks all, more to come and soon!

@Jetspeed the truck was built where I was supposed to start a trip this year but due to covid I got stuck at home and the truck on the wrong coast :) so the truck is on its way to me. I'll let everyone know how I feel about my choices when I can thoroughly test them and give an honest reviews.
Excellent. Thanks for getting back to me and I look forward to your review. Cheers

t3g-gearshot.jpg
Added some build progress pics to the original post. Enjoy

Yeah but where are the new wheels and tires?!?

These methods had the option of some newer darker bronze color so they're a bit more subdued than even the regular matte bronze Methods. I love how they look on the truck, I was worried they may be too bright, but nope.

When I was researching parts for the build I saw someone selling one so I looked into why the product exists. If I can prevent oil from being recirculated through the intake system I definitely want to. This video showed me how much oil gets recirculated back into the engine so I decided I would tackle the issue early while the engine was brand new.
Original link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bEytt0v_uvo
Definitely getting one!

Phase 1 complete and its finally heading my way lol. Pics in the original post

Thanks guys! My wife is really excited for new truck joyrides as am I :)

Did you get your truck yet?

Yes! Maybe a week ago and then it hasn't stopped raining down here since. We actually just got hit by a tropic storm yesterday, but everything's fine. One down skinny palm tree I already chopped up.

The truck drives incredibly. Granted I'm coming from a wrangler on fox suspension but this tacoma on icon is something else. It hasn't seen rocks since it left the west coast but maybe once this weather turns I can get out there and put it to better use. It looks real good even standing still, so I'm quite happy with the truck. Hope you've been well!

So it's been raining for like 3 weeks straight here in south florida. Today the sun came out and I look and every single fkn thing I had powder coated is rusting. Rear bumper looks like a leaf may have lightly scratched it and it's a rusty streak right now. and my entire front bumper the whole top is solid surface rust. what. the actual. shit.

Should have gotten that ceramic 🤷‍♂️

Time for a move to the west coast?

Ceramic is a coating but not like a powder coating yeah? Or do you mean like cerakote it? The truck had already spent 10 months on the other side of the country I just needed it here because I had immediate needs for it. I've had plenty of things powder coated here in Florida and never seen this happen. My Jeep has had the same powder coat black bumpers since 2013 with not a speck of rust on it. That's through several hurricanes and very few car washes. This is simply a downright awful powdercoat job. All the skids I got from CBI came powder coated and none of them have any rust on them. Everything that was taken to powder after parts arrived has surface rust on it. Truck is going to lineX on Monday. Front and rear bumpers plus rock sliders will be lineX'd.

Would love to pack it all up and go right now, but simply not possible at the moment.

I’m wondering if it has something to do with the drastic change in humidity drawing solvents out of the metal or something to that effect

Only thing I could think of was that they went too fast on the prep and missed a bunch of spots of surface rust and just laid the powder coat right on top of it. Makes no sense to me. I do know that I'll be paying in labor what the original powder coat cost me now that all this shit has to be uninstalled, media blasted and reinstalled.

Who did the original PC?

So it's been raining for like 3 weeks straight here in south florida. Today the sun came out and I look and every single fkn thing I had powder coated is rusting. Rear bumper looks like a leaf may have lightly scratched it and it's a rusty streak right now. and my entire front bumper the whole top is solid surface rust. what. the actual. shit.
Wow. The the fck. Feels bad man. Hopefully you get it settled with whomever did the powder coating.

I gotta dig through the folder of receipts but I'm not holding my breath for them to make anything right. Looking forward to the lineX, not looking forward to a week or two without my truck after finally receiving it in the first place.

Haven't been online all that much. Apologies.

I got the truck back from lineX and it looks awesome. Bumpers and skids now lineX'd. The powder coat was a joke.

Hope everyone has a wonderful winter and new year. Good luck and stay healthy everyone

How about some updated pics with the LineX? Curious to see how it turned out

Back