• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maxtrax or TRED

What's your preferred traction device?

• MAXTRAX

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • TRED 800/1100

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • TRED PRO

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Smittybilt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • eBay / Amazon Special "X-Bull", "Maxsa", etc.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Rocks / Sticks / Floor Mats

• I don't like getting dirty

• Total voters

0uTkAsT

9️⃣ Legend
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Silver Sky
Thought I'd start a thread on traction devices. Vote on your favorite and post why below! Feel free to share mounting setups and recovery photos below as well. Share 'em if you got 'em.

I bought the Maxsa with main selling point being cost. I see them as an emergency self rescue thing for beach driving (oh shit I'm stuck and the tides coming in!) and honestly haven't even used them yet. With that said I'm happy knowing I didn't pay allot for them.
The down sides are they dont stack well and are longer so more difficult to store.

I have no experience using traction boards, but I was able to get a pair of Maxtrax on eBay using a coupon for $245. Going off a few recommendations, I pulled the trigger. Maxtrax are definitely not budget friendly, however I did get them as cheaper insurance if I needed them since my winch is not mounted just yet. I mounted them using a header rail, off road warehouse t-slot nuts, and 2 Maxtrax mounting pins cut down to length.

A25B44F8-38E9-48D5-90E0-6EA500A0BA5B.jpeg

I bought the Maxsa with main selling point being cost. I see them as an emergency self rescue thing for beach driving (oh shit I'm stuck and the tides coming in!) and honestly haven't even used them yet. With that said I'm happy knowing I didn't pay allot for them.
The down sides are they dont stack well and are longer so more difficult to store.
I'm tracking with your line of thought and I'm torn on this... that's why I don't own any yet. One one hand you may never need them, on the flip side you shouldn't pinch pennies on emergency equipment that you're relying on to get you out of a bad spot unless you're reasonably certain they'll do the job you need them to do.

And on that note, I've only ever seen one set of recovery tracks in use (they were the Shittybilt ones) and they cracked and broke on first use... when the owner needed them. They split so badly that the recovery device nearly punctured the tire on the truck they were trying to save which obviously would've made matters much worse.
I have no experience using traction boards, but I was able to get a pair of Maxtrax on eBay using a coupon for $245. Going off a few recommendations, I pulled the trigger. Maxtrax are definitely not budget friendly, however I did get them as cheaper insurance if I needed them since my winch is not mounted just yet. I mounted them using a header rail, off road warehouse t-slot nuts, and 2 Maxtrax mounting pins cut down to length.

A25B44F8-38E9-48D5-90E0-6EA500A0BA5B.jpeg
That's a great deal for Maxtrax and the front rail is exactly where I'd mount mine, too. Nicely done.

I bought X-Bull. Haven't had to use them for recovery but they seem well built and had good reviews. I've only really used them to level the truck, for that purpose they worked great. lol

I bought X-Bull. Haven't had to use them for recovery but they seem well built and had good reviews. I've only really used them to level the truck, for that purpose they worked great. lol
That's actually a great idea! I never thought of that, haha. Now I definitely need to get some.

That's actually a great idea! I never thought of that, haha. Now I definitely need to get some.

They work pretty well for it. I need another 2 for a full set of 4. I think with the 4 it would be enough to level the truck on most surfaces. I'd rather just carry the boards for recovery and leveling and avoid carrying the extra leveling blocks.

X-Bull here too. No chance to use them yet, but then again, hopefully I never will. Extra insurance I guess.

X-Bull here too. No chance to use them yet, but then again, hopefully I never will. Extra insurance I guess.
Will one of you guys go get stuck so the rest of us know how well they work?
rofl.gif

Found a video of the X-Bull tracks actually being used so I contacted the guy who posted it and he said he definitely recommends them. He's used them for beach recoveries and they haven't died, so for the money they seem to be a good option for occasional or emergency use.

Back