• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Max tire size on stock suspension?

Pancho

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
I cant remember what the max tire size I can get but i think its 275/70/16? Installing VTX rogue tomorrow on stock wheels till these wear out their time. But if I see they are having a deal on tires then I might just get new ones. Not doing suspension for another year. Trying to do a bunch of things at once. Thanks in advance.

i suggest you save up for suspension first and foremost. get the good shit the first time, so you dont have to buy again. or keep upgrading when you already have the top notch shit initially.. then focus on wheels and tires.

i suggest you save up for suspension first and foremost. get the good shit the first time, so you dont have to buy again. or keep upgrading when you already have the top notch shit initially.. then focus on wheels and tires.
i have seen people do suspension first then have tires look tiny on this. Kinda like people skipping leg day lol. I'm not worried about suspension since like i said early im doing everything (hopefully) at once ie suspension lift, skids, CA, tires, exhaust)

like you said. if you are gonna get everything at once then don't waste your money on bullshit stock sized tires. 275? you might as well go 285.

What he said, do it all at once. I will say a lift will make your rig more capable than slightly larger tires, regardless of look!

I can't afford the suspension I want right now but the stock Goodyear Kevlars are a joke and I had to upgrade before I spent any real time on the trail, so I opted to upgrade now anyways knowing that in short time I'd have to change them again, adding cost. Some see it as unnecessary but it all depends on your timeline and how you use your truck.

Generally speaking, 265/75R16 or 265/70R17 are the largest tires you can fit stock but you may still have some rubbing depending on your alignment specs, the backspacing/offset of your wheels, and a variety of other factors.

If you plan to wheel the truck until you're able to upgrade the suspension, I think it's worth every bit of whatever you may lose on the resale of the tires to upgrade now.

I cant remember what the max tire size I can get but i think its 275/70/16? Installing VTX rogue tomorrow on stock wheels till these wear out their time. But if I see they are having a deal on tires then I might just get new ones. Not doing suspension for another year. Trying to do a bunch of things at once. Thanks in advance.
You also have the option of the pizza cutter, 255/85r16. It’s a tall and thin tire. Probably not 100% rub free, especially off-road, but it would be tolerable.

You also have the option of the pizza cutter, 255/85r16. It’s a tall and thin tire. Probably not 100% rub free, especially off-road, but it would be tolerable.

Mmmmmmmm pizza........................ cutters

I believe a cab mount chop and lots of trimming would be required to fit any 33s on a stock-height truck even with OEM wheels... there is simply too much diameter and not enough caster adjustment in the stock setup to accommodate. It wouldn't be nearly as bad as 285s, but many 255s are actually taller than a lot of 285s so I would expect poor results. This would be a very common setup if it were viable.

Certainly not saying it isn't possible, but probably a lot more work than most are willing to put in to a setup like that.

Last edited:
I can't afford the suspension I want right now but the stock Goodyear Kevlars are a joke and I had to upgrade before I spent any real time on the trail, so I opted to upgrade now anyways knowing that in short time I'd have to change them again, adding cost. Some see it as unnecessary but it all depends on your timeline and how you use your truck.

Generally speaking, 265/75R16 or 265/70R17 are the largest tires you can fit stock but you may still have some rubbing depending on your alignment specs, the backspacing/offset of your wheels, and a variety of other factors.

If you plan to wheel the truck until you're able to upgrade the suspension, I think it's worth every bit of whatever you may lose on the resale of the tires to upgrade now.
I dont plan on wheeling right now. if i do it might just be a fire trail. I work swing so I'm pretty much sleeping during the day.

Back