• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Marlin Crawler Tacobox for 3rd gens

Here is the inside pic of the finished install. Grabbed a shift boot from a very unexpected car at a junkyard. Cleaned it up and trimmed to fit. Almost matches the stock ones.
BCF097D0-F32D-4A5A-B5E7-E50EA9641612.jpeg

Here is the inside pic of the finished install. Grabbed a shift boot from a very unexpected car at a junkyard. Cleaned it up and trimmed to fit. Almost matches the stock ones.
BCF097D0-F32D-4A5A-B5E7-E50EA9641612.jpeg
I love where you positioned the shifter. I believe the instructions say you loose the center cup holder and I always hated that because its my favorite of all the cup holders haha.

I love where you positioned the shifter. I believe the instructions say you loose the center cup holder and I always hated that because its my favorite of all the cup holders haha.

I wanted it away from all cup holders when I bought it and I’m glad I was able to do so.

There is a giant hunk of plastic for the auto trans shifter that I had to notch the front left but I don’t see how it would ever have came up behind the trans shifter. I thought that as well and did not like that idea lol

Here’s the hunk of plastic in the way.

E7693AA5-98D4-42AE-B8D8-F57F8DD3FC7D.jpeg

Made a video on the key points for anyone who is looking into or starting the install of the Tacobox.

Planning an off-road trip this week to test it out Offroad!

View: https://youtu.be/Lweji32Hv7U
Dang man, I really want one but the oil issue is kinda pushing me away lol. It’s annoying having to figure out where and how to seal the tacobox. That type of information should be provided. Also, do you have to put it in neutral before putting the truck in drive? Or can you leave it in HI and still be able to shift from drive to park?

Dang man, I really want one but the oil issue is kinda pushing me away lol. It’s annoying having to figure out where and how to seal the tacobox. That type of information should be provided. Also, do you have to put it in neutral before putting the truck in drive? Or can you leave it in HI and still be able to shift from drive to park?

It was definitely upsetting that it kept leaking, but in the end, it is no longer leaking. Slight adjustment of the fluid level seemed to do the trick.

No, what I do is just keep the tacobox in Hi all the time. You actually should not have the tacobox in neutral, then try to shift to drive. Because if you try to go to park while the tacobox is in neutral it will grind park. ? figured that one out the hard way. I thought I messed something up.

The good thing is, you have a true neutral with the tacobox, where as it will disengage the entire driveline. Could be useful for towing ?

So, even with the automatic, there are/were oil level issues? Maybe the new seal and output shaft revisions will solve this.

The BIG question is how does she do off road now?

So, even with the automatic, there are/were oil level issues? Maybe the new seal and output shaft revisions will solve this.

The BIG question is how does she do off road now?

Yes, there is a known issue....now lol. The seal and output doesn’t have anything to do with this leak. The problem was, the tacobox was so full of fluid, it was coming out of the shifter. 1 gallon of fluid had no where to go and it forced its self out of the only hole available, the shifter. Since draining and refilling with only 3quarts I have noticed no leaks anymore, so that’s good.

Last time I was out it was muddy and pouring rain. I did not get a chance to test it out. I am however, planning on going this weekend to give it a workout ??

My recent updates from Marlin:
Response to inquiry on 6 August 2019
"Ted,
Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA on when that one will be available. The coupler and adapter plate have been sent off to be machined, then once those get back to us we are going to test fitment and make sure everything functions properly, then after that we will have it released for production. If you check back in about 12 weeks we should have a better ETA for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Kyle"

Response to inquiry on 18 November 2019
"Ted,
Unfortunately, no news yet regarding the 6-speed Tacobox, and I do not have an ETA. I thought a couple months out would be enough time at first. If you keep checking our website or the forum, that is where the latest information will be once we have made progress towards releasing that crawl box for production. I apologize for the inconvenience, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Kyle"

I am considering selling my Tacoma at this point. I had a build planned. The TacoBox was the heart of it. Thinking of moving in another direction since this one has little chance of coming to fruition, apparently. Truck is sitting. I didn't buy it to be a mall crawler, dirt road cruiser. My Subaru Crosstrek is better at all of those things. At this point the Taco is WAY overbuilt for it's actual capability. It needs that crawl box to be what I need it to be. I have access to older Hiluxes with diesels; might make a move.

"Ted,
Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA on when that one will be available. The coupler and adapter plate have been sent off to be machined, then once those get back to us we are going to test fitment and make sure everything functions properly, then after that we will have it released for production. If you check back in about 12 weeks we should have a better ETA for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Kyle"

"Ted,
Unfortunately, no news yet regarding the 6-speed Tacobox, and I do not have an ETA. I thought a couple months out would be enough time at first. If you keep checking our website or the forum, that is where the latest information will be once we have made progress towards releasing that crawl box for production. I apologize for the inconvenience, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Kyle"

I am considering selling my Tacoma at this point. I had a build planned. The TacoBox was the heart of it. Thinking of moving in another direction since this one has little chance of coming to fruition, apparently. Truck is sitting. I didn't buy it to be a mall crawler, dirt road cruiser. My Subaru Crosstrek is better at all of those things. At this point the Taco is WAY overbuilt for it's actual capability. It needs that crawl box to be what I need it to be. I have access to older Hiluxes with diesels; might make a move.
While I get the great assistance a crawl box provides, especially in a MT, what about the build and what it needs to do requires it to move forward? I can't think of a situation where a crawl box is required to do anything that the body and overall dimensions of the truck wouldn't be a hindrance.
ETA:
looked at your thread about your truck. Looks like a lot of weight added, larger tires, and no axle gears or traction aids. I have a hard time believing a set of 5.29s on a 32.5" tall tire isnt going to be deep enough gearing. Maybe while you wait for the box, a set of diff gears might suit you well.

Last edited:
"Ted,
Thank you,
Kyle"

"Ted,
Thank you,
Kyle"

That’s disappointing to hear. I was very impatient with them at first then once received I was realizing I should have been patient. If it does not work out for you, can you possibly do an atlas? That would give you front dig and lower ratios.

Axle regear does not achieve the same thing. I want that crawl ratio. I like the current driveability in non technical situations and road manners. We have a 2nd Gen 4dr 6speed TRD OR in the training fleet. It has been used and abused by students and I have driven it extensively in tight Eastern woods. Truly, the only thing it has really lacked is the ability to go slow enough. For my purposes, that TacoBox was the key. My truck has been built around that capability.

Axle regear does not achieve the same thing. I want that crawl ratio. I like the current driveability in non technical situations and road manners. We have a 2nd Gen 4dr 6speed TRD OR in the training fleet. It has been used and abused by students and I have driven it extensively in tight Eastern woods. Truly, the only thing it has really lacked is the ability to go slow enough. For my purposes, that TacoBox was the key. My truck has been built around that capability.
CR = trans gear x tcase gear x diff gear
Diff gearing directly changes crawl ratio. ?‍♂️

Back