• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Low ATF from factory in 2016 TRD OR

CalifExplorer

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Website
www.wilmatthewsphoto.com
2016 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
In Sept 2019 I bought an apparently well cared-for 2016 TRD OR 4x4 (long bed, if that matters) that benefited from regular maintenance under Toyotacare. One of the first things I did was go through the hoops to have local dealer update the trans per TSB 77-16. Only today, upon having the 60k service done, do I discover the ATF is 1.5 quart low with no visible leak. (Surprisingly, I had to persuade the SA to add the trans service. Glad I did.) What are the repercussions of four years of average use with ATF 10-15% low? Or is all well now?

I want to think that the transmission is robust enough that no detrimental damage was done as it would have with the engine. It probably came low from the factory, hence no leaks.

Is the first time they should check this, at 60k, according to the manual?

Upvote 0
I would have hoped it would have been checked earlier, like when I had TSB update, but I suppose it's a significant process since there's no dipstick. But given it was a known issue, I would have thought one of many techs providing services along the way would have been proactive.

Upvote 0
I would have hoped it would have been checked earlier, like when I had TSB update, but I suppose it's a significant process since there's no dipstick. But given it was a known issue, I would have thought one of many techs providing services along the way would have been proactive.
I agree. Sometimes they seem to make questionable judgement on important things (from reading other posts on here).

Upvote 0
Back