• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Look another lift question

steevo

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey guys, been trying to do my research so I didn't have to annoy anyone however I'm seeing stuff that is all over the place regarding lifts.

I get that coilover sets from Icon/King/etc... are the way to go, however that is out of my price range and needs. I have been seeing where a lot of folks use Bilstein 5100's and OME springs. I have been looking into this however OME's website isn't super straight forward with ratings/specs/etc..
If I were to want 3"-3.5" of lift on my 2020 TRD OR would I be able to achieve it with Bilstein 5100's and a set of OME springs? If so, which combo would be best? And can anyone recommend any other types of lifts in that ballpark price, just so I can see what the other options are? As far as rear lift, I'm thinking the add-a-leaf idea will be best for me due to wanting to tow a boat in the future as well as adding a bed rack with RTT and other accessories.

Truck is not used primarily off-road, only off-roading will be beach driving and occasional mountain paths or muddy flat land.
Thank you all for the help :)

It’s not annoying to ask about this, that’s what we’re here for.

A 5100 and OME setup would probably not get you 3-3.5”, but maybe 2.5-3” with the heavier duty 886 spring.

You can get an idea of the height you’d get per spring type here: https://www.arbusa.com/site/wp-content/uploads/toyotaTacoma.pdf

There is also some extra info on the spring types here: https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p250/Old_Man_Emu_Lift_Coils_-__Various_Lift_Heights_Available_(PAIR).html

As for your rear, I definitely don’t think an AAL to the stock leaf pack would be sufficient to maintain around 3” of height with any added weight, especially since you mentioned a boat and RTT. It’s usually recommended to replace the whole leaf pack with a heavier duty one like the Dakar or Deaver ones. (They have medium and heavy duty, but I’d go for the heavy duty.)

...wanting to tow a boat in the future as well as adding a bed rack with RTT and other accessories...

Truck is not used primarily off-road, only off-roading will be beach driving and occasional mountain paths or muddy flat land.

I'm not sure if I understand why you want a lift. With that use case it doesn't seem necessary, if anything I'd think a lift would make your truck less suited for what you want to do with it. This is coming from someone who does with his truck what you are saying you want to do with yours.

Last edited:
It’s not annoying to ask about this, that’s what we’re here for.

A 5100 and OME setup would probably not get you 3-3.5”, but maybe 2.5-3” with the heavier duty 886 spring.

You can get an idea of the height you’d get per spring type here: https://www.arbusa.com/site/wp-content/uploads/toyotaTacoma.pdf

There is also some extra info on the spring types here: https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p250/Old_Man_Emu_Lift_Coils_-__Various_Lift_Heights_Available_(PAIR).html

As for your rear, I definitely don’t think an AAL to the stock leaf pack would be sufficient to maintain around 3” of height with any added weight, especially since you mentioned a boat and RTT. It’s usually recommended to replace the whole leaf pack with a heavier duty one like the Dakar or Deaver ones. (They have medium and heavy duty, but I’d go for the heavy duty.)
Thank you a ton for the info!! That is super helpful, I'll look into the 5100/OME setup. That's what I've been seeing a lot of however haven't seen any like in-depth explanation of it and I'm coming from the world of making cars really low so its a big change LOL. And thanks for explaining the leaf ordeal, I didn't think an AAL kit would really be the most efficient thing for towing but I like I said it's hard to find a nicely explained reason of which is better.

I'm not sure if I understand why you want a lift. With that use case it doesn't seem necessary, if anything I'd think a lift would make your truck less suited for what you want to do with it. This is coming from someone who does with his truck what you are saying you want to do with yours.
Partly aesthetics of my truck, and also function for when I'm beach driving (very soft sand, semi-large dunes) and a trip I make into the mountains of VA for trout fishing has pretty bumpy trails that I usually have to hike down. Even with family members stock 4x4 trucks, they can't traverse the trails comfortably. I will more than likely being going on this trip PRIOR to lifting my truck this year so I was going to test it and see if the lift would be beneficial or not and kind of decide from there. Just want to do my research ahead of time so I can pull the trigger as soon as I decide.

Thank you a ton for the info!! That is super helpful, I'll look into the 5100/OME setup. That's what I've been seeing a lot of however haven't seen any like in-depth explanation of it and I'm coming from the world of making cars really low so its a big change LOL. And thanks for explaining the leaf ordeal, I didn't think an AAL kit would really be the most efficient thing for towing but I like I said it's hard to find a nicely explained reason of which is better.

Partly aesthetics of my truck, and also function for when I'm beach driving (very soft sand, semi-large dunes) and a trip I make into the mountains of VA for trout fishing has pretty bumpy trails that I usually have to hike down. Even with family members stock 4x4 trucks, they can't traverse the trails comfortably. I will more than likely being going on this trip PRIOR to lifting my truck this year so I was going to test it and see if the lift would be beneficial or not and kind of decide from there. Just want to do my research ahead of time so I can pull the trigger as soon as I decide.
No problem. I try to explain things clearly and not overly technical. I see a lot of hard to understand responses or worse, demeaning responses because you “should’ve known that already.”

Back