• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Light Placement and Locations?

3cent.Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 Pro DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
I've been doing a little bit of research on light placement on our trucks, or just any off-road vehicle in general, but a majority of websites seem to be saying the same information, worded the same, over and over and without some experience. The reason I'm asking is to see if all you more seasoned guys can provide some additional insight to certain light placement, what seems to be redundant, useless, or absolute needs, how much is too much lighting, etc. Can anyone provide a guide with lighting locations and reasons for placement on our trucks?

For example, a light bar in the roof rack can provide light coverage much further distance; ditch lights help with cornering.

Ditch lights in a combo (flood/spot) I see are the best bang for the buck since you can adjust the aim as needed. My Joshua Tree trip with others in the pitch black night made a huge difference in visibility.

The other lights will depend on what speeds you like driving at night too since you'll want more throw at a faster rate of speed.

Too much is subjective but I like a lot of lights ;)

bd ad1.jpg

Gotcha. Thanks Rob.

Do you find it beneficial to have a light bar low in the front bumper area? I asking because I'd like to plan for cut outs for light bars in the front bumper when I order one.

You'll have less glare there. Really depends where you want to aim. My goal was everything if I had too.

Here's a pic with me and the sun ?

Gotcha. Thanks Rob.

Do you find it beneficial to have a light bar low in the front bumper area? I asking because I'd like to plan for cut outs for light bars in the front bumper when I order one.

IMG_20190608_224645_714.jpg

You'll have less glare there. Really depends where you want to aim. My goal was everything if I had too.

Here's a pic with me and the sun ?

IMG_20190608_224645_714.jpg

Sorry to thread jack but I'm very curious about this topic too. @Rob Daman, if you could only have one for moderate off-road use after dark, would you recommend a light bar on the Prinsu rack or low front bumper?

Sorry to thread jack but I'm very curious about this topic too. @Rob Daman, if you could only have one for moderate off-road use after dark, would you recommend a light bar on the Prinsu rack or low front bumper?
No worries man. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to have this conversation. I'm sure there are people out there that are new like me wondering the same thing. I personally don't want to go too overboard with lighting. I'm probably in the moderate off-road group.

I think for sure I would do a light bar on the roof rack. But still haven't found a good enough reason for me to add low to the front bumper.

It be roof since I can use a 40 inch

Light bar in the bumper is a a iffy thing if you use a driving combo , or even a wide angle then it's good but a spot beam would be to low to the ground and would most likely give you a large hotspot glare
Zone 3 I would say for myself would be light in you bumper or grill
Zone 4 roof rack

2016 Lighting Zones Chart.jpg

Light bar in the bumper is a a iffy thing if you use a driving combo , or even a wide angle then it's good but a spot beam would be to low to the ground and would most likely give you a large hotspot glare
Zone 4 roof rack

2016 Lighting Zones Chart.jpg
This is awesome, thank you!

Zone 4 roof rack

This diagram is super helpful. But can you clarify something for me? Zone 3, that is normally the light zoning you get from your headlights and to get a brighter coverage, you add the light in your bumper or grill?

Also, in zone 4, the diagram looks like a spot light, I assume a light bar in the roof rack gives you a coverage more like Zone 3?

Zone 3 would mainly be head lights but we all own Toyotas and they definitly lack in that department , weather its aftermarket bulbs or projectors or a light bar to assist (when off the road) , not only will it make it bright but give you a broader coverage you would have a stronger fuller light in that zone , but it's not to say a light bar is all you can use good set of pods work to

Zone 4
Is were you want your futherest shooting light .
A light bar on the roof with a spot beam pattern would be used there

Thanks @ShikyoX. This has really helped me a lot. I think I'll pass on the front bumper light cutout for now when I buy my front bumper and opt to put it in or cut it out another time.

Thanks @ShikyoX. This has really helped me a lot. I think I'll pass on the front bumper light cutout for now when I buy my front bumper and opt to put it in or cut it out another time.
If your planning on a light in the bumper in the future , I'd suggest you just get the cutout because that's alot of metal to go through,

And I'm glad to of help

Back