• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

LED taillights?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I've been thinking about rocking some LED taillights to match the front DRL's. For those of you that have them, what kind are you running? Photos if you've got 'em. Thanks!

I'm 50/50 on the ones Tacoma Beast sells. That's the only aftermarket tail light I know of.
I just don't trust the quality of these tail lights. I've heard the wiring job is pretty bad and once in a while I guess you get a good one. I don't gamble with odds like that.
I'm surprised there aren't more aftermarket brands out there.

I've been thinking about rocking some LED taillights to match the front DRL's. For those of you that have them, what kind are you running? Photos if you've got 'em. Thanks!
We are currently looking at getting an account with both Winjet as well as Depo for both headlights and tails.

I'm happy with just upgrading the brake lights to LED to be brighten a tailgater's day.

Also aftermarket tails can attract law enforcement to pull you over as many aftermarket aren't DOT legal.

I got my cabin and license plate LED from https://www.diodedynamics.com

Tail light led is at $40

I have the tail lights from these guys and they are great! I did go with the higher cost LEDs they offer tho. I went with the middle option that cost $60 (the HP11 I believe). They are definitely brighter than the stock bulbs.

Whatever LED's you get for the tail lights, only get red LED's for the brakes and the rear blinkers. After I did some testing, I found that the red lens makes the other colors (white or yellow) look less red and slightly washed out when compared to the red on red combo...almost like a deep pink more than a red.

Were you also looking to replace the other lights as well (reverse lights, license plate lights)?

How about modifying the tail lights so the whole red "c" works as one (not just the top as the blinker and the bottom as the brake light)? Personnally, I think the stock tail light function is a hot mess which is why I'm asking this last q. :)

I have the tail lights from these guys and they are great! I did go with the higher cost LEDs they offer tho. I went with the middle option that cost $60 (the HP11 I believe). They are definitely brighter than the stock bulbs.

Whatever LED's you get for the tail lights, only get red LED's for the brakes and the rear blinkers. After I did some testing, I found that the red lens makes the other colors (white or yellow) look less red and slightly washed out when compared to the red on red combo...almost like a deep pink more than a red.

Were you also looking to replace the other lights as well (reverse lights, license plate lights)?

How about modifying the tail lights so the whole red "c" works as one (not just the top as the blinker and the bottom as the brake light)? Personnally, I think the stock tail light function is a hot mess which is why I'm asking this last q. :)
I think the stock taillights are a little weird too. I wonder if anyone does make it one whole light like that. Even then I think that might look odd. But I wasn't planning on doing the reverse or license plate lights, no.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this in a "plug & play" way (yet)...not unless you want to buy an aftermarket tail light like the Winjet. But with this mod, it's way cheaper than an aftermarket tail light! If you have ever cut/splices any wires in the past, you know it's actually easy to do.

It's not my truck, but here's an idea of what can be done if you don't mind cutting a few wires...The stock tail light function is on the right, the Turn-as-Tail mod is installed on the left:

...after typing all of this, I realized that I should just start a new thread in this new forum because this is something that is specific to the 3g only. :unsure: Now I need to dig up the wiring diagram and other pics I had...

Back