• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

LED or HID

Lewisiv13

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 SR5 DCLB Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
Stay with me I'm not ? crazy. I bought Supernova V.3 led headlights. Very expensive. Washed the truck one day and broke down. Just stalled right out here n the road. Automatic transmission remind you. It happened each time the truck got wet. Anyway, went to the dealership and they couldn't figure out why. That happened three times, so I started doing research. Someone said his friends headlights did the same thing to his truck. So I put the stock ones in and never had the issue again.

I've had HID and LED. HID always blows a buld and we'll the only experience I've had with LED broke my truck.

Has anyone tried Supernova V.3?

What kinds of bulbs do y'all recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_4962.jpg
    IMG_4962.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 107
Im running the same bulbs, never really had this problem. I thrash my truck through the mud and never had a problem.

Stay with me I'm not ? crazy. I bought Supernova V.3 led headlights. Very expensive. Washed the truck one day and broke down. Just stalled right out here n the road. Automatic transmission remind you. It happened each time the truck got wet. Anyway, went to the dealership and they couldn't figure out why. That happened three times, so I started doing research. Someone said his friends headlights did the same thing to his truck. So I put the stock ones in and never had the issue again.

I've had HID and LED. HID always blows a buld and we'll the only experience I've had with LED broke my truck.

Wow that sucks! First thing I would try is to have Headlight Revolution replace them under warranty for you. It could be some faulty waterproofing on their part.

If that doesn't work, don't get discouraged because I have used both HID and LEDs without any issues at all. In fact, the LEDs have been suprisingly good, so I now have another pair on the way (the Xenon Depot H11 Xtreme LED Pro headlights) so that I can finally have full LEDs in the HBs, LBs, and fogs!

I'm still running the OEM headlights, haven't really looked into other upgrade options, but definitely looking to replace them in the near future.

Essentially, you get what you pay for, and Lighting is not something you should go cheap on.
LED's are still new tech as far as low beam applications in the headlight world. Unless it's an OEM spec LED, you should keep the LEDs for accent lighting, fogs, or high beams only. HID Projectors are designed for HID's. You can get away with HID's in Halogen projectors but not halogen reflector lights.
If you have halogen reflectors and not Halogen projectors, we recommend getting some Osram or Philips upgraded Halogen bulbs.
17457295_10154176829971213_1597184975073228438_n.jpg

Grounding issues somewhere engines and loght sharing a ground or 2

DDM Tuning HID’s all all have been running in my cars and motorcycles for the last 7 years and they work flawlessly. I have 55w 4500k low beams and they are bright as hell. Even with projectors I still get people flashing me.
Had them for over 3 years in my old TDI Jetta not a single issue and have had them for over a year now in my Tacoma.

Here is my Morimoto 35w HID’s. For now im not using a relay harness so it was 100% plug and play and took 10 min to install. After my switch controller and fuse panel is setup I will install a relay

7C52A4CD-8488-46ED-9788-163FFAD5D525.jpeg

Installing auxbeams t1 series friday. gonna get morimotos later down the road and put the LEDs as fogs when that happen.

Installing auxbeams t1 series friday. gonna get morimotos later down the road and put the LEDs as fogs when that happen.
You’ll be happy with HID’s. Personal preference but I just don’t think LED’s are there yet

@PROTACO17 is righted require a special projector lens to operate at there fullest ,however on that note if you purchase a good designed led "tri led" with adjustable housing to rotate the LEDs then they can work far better. Tri led will give you a fuller 360 degree of light rather then the dual led style . Rotate the led plate so you have maximum led output downward in your housing and that should give a good output and distance . I use morimotos at 4300k I believe nice and bright and great distance , they dont match my pro led footlights. But distance is more important to me personally
You’ll be happy with HID’s. Personal preference but I just don’t think LED’s are there yet

@PROTACO17 is righted require a special projector lens to operate at there fullest ,however on that note if you purchase a good designed led "tri led" with adjustable housing to rotate the LEDs then they can work far better. Tri led will give you a fuller 360 degree of light rather then the dual led style . Rotate the led plate so you have maximum led output downward in your housing and that should give a good output and distance . I use morimotos at 4300k I believe nice and bright and great distance , they dont match my pro led footlights. But distance is more important to me personally

That’s why I went with a 5500k morimoto kit.
Outperforms any LED at 55w

Heat. If you ever encounter snow you’ll wish you had halogen or HID. LEDs produce little to no heat and will not melt the build up on your headlight. Also when the rain is coming down at night it’ll the lights didn’t really produce enough to cut through it. Just my 5 cents.

Heat. If you ever encounter snow you’ll wish you had halogen or HID. LEDs produce little to no heat and will not melt the build up on your headlight. Also when the rain is coming down at night it’ll the lights didn’t really produce enough to cut through it. Just my 5 cents.
Higher Kv as most people get deos not cut through rain snow or fog and it reflect back almost giving you a white wall , I know people like to have matching colors but at the end of the day you need your lights to light the road or trail up 5000kv and below will give you light and greater light distance then going to a higher kv

oh ya I know. I just wanted to try the these LEDs and install my HID's probably next month. switching the LEDs to fogs once I get the HIDs like I said. Everything takes time my friend.

oh ya I know. I just wanted to try the these LEDs and install my HID's probably next month. switching the LEDs to fogs once I get the HIDs like I said. Everything takes time my friend.
its wortth a try, theyre definitely cheap enough.

Back