• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Leak at diff / CV axle, clunky clacky noise as well

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I have a clunky noise when rolling at less than 8 mph, but there is no noise or vibration if I go faster. And no difference in 4wd either. I found a class II leak coming out of both sides of the diff, seemingly worse on passenger side. My quick guess is the CV axle splines are busted, causing the noise, and allowing fluid to get out. What do you guys think?

Did you ever figure it out? I started getting a similar clunky noise, but of course, it wasn't repeatable in front of my mechanics this morning haha. Was looking for more of a diagnosis than a fix though - I'm sure I could swap a cv in my driveway just fine. We looked at alignment/ball joints too and all looked fine there.
I didn’t do anything yet. Been busy with family medical stuff. But I will for sure post what it was and how I fixed it when I’m done.

Upvote 0
I didn’t do anything yet. Been busy with family medical stuff. But I will for sure post what it was and how I fixed it when I’m done.
Sorry to hear that man. Best wishes to your family. Will keep them in my prayers!

Upvote 0
Back